In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sharks everywhere...

redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
I took my 16 yr old grand daughter and one of her girlfriends fishing for redfish today. not much luck on the reds but we caught sharks left and right. Bonnetheads ,sharp nose and blacktips. We caught them on the flats, in deep water, on live bait and artificials. almost got spooled once. never seen so many. just a weird day. The girls had a blast and haven't stopped talking about it. these are the days memories are made of.

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Sharks??? Dang!!! We don't have any here,but I've seen movies about them. You're lucky you got away. [:0][:0][:0]
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You gonna need a bigger boat? [;)]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't go back,they'll still be there.

IF you do go back,you'll need a .38 special,a flare gun and a air tank.
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did they invest in your venture?
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're here every summer but not this many and not this early. we never had much of a winter and the bait fish came early. looks like summer fishing is gonna be hot and heavy.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Black tips/spinners are a real blast in shallow water.Great aerial acrobatics!!
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fathers of 16 year old girls need not worry about the sharks in the water.

The ones in their high school, well, those are the dangerous ones
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found out years ago while living in a small fishing town near the South Texas Nuclear Project (Palacios), that shark makes a great bait for crab traps.

I kept four traps down under the dock at the trailer park I was staying at.

Went on vacation for a week and when I got back I found my traps had been baited with shark pieces.

Elderly lady that had lived there all her life and married to a shrimper, showed up and asked if those were my traps.

I replied yes they were.

She made a deal that she would bait the traps and would keep anything she found in them at 2pm and I would get whatever was in them when I checked them after work.

Also learned from this elderly lady about when to fish or not fish the bay.

If the traps were empty go fishing, that meant the redfish were in the bay and the crabs were hiding.

If the traps had crabs don't bother going fishing, the crabs were out moving because the redfish were not in the bay.

Her advice seemed to work.
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    I found out years ago while living in a small fishing town near the South Texas Nuclear Project (Palacios), that shark makes a great bait for crab traps.

Went on vacation for a week and when I got back I found my traps had been baited with shark pieces.

Elderly lady that had lived there all her life and married to a shrimper, showed up and asked if those were my traps.

I replied yes they were.

She made a deal that she would bait the traps and would keep anything she found in them at 2pm and I would get whatever was in them when I checked them after work.

If the traps were empty go fishing, that meant the redfish were in the bay and the crabs were hiding.

If the traps had crabs don't bother going fishing, the crabs were out moving because the redfish were not in the bay.

I'm sorry, but did you say that you gave some old lady crabs?
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you don't borrow money from any of them.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997

I replied yes they were.

I'm sorry, but did you say that you gave some old lady crabs?

HA!!!!!! [:D]