In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blueberries and more blueberries

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
The Co-op had organic blueberries on sale. Just finished sorting through them and bagged them up for freezing. They are usually too expensive but at $1 a box I bought a whole bunch. Didn't feel like firing up the canner so They all went into the freezer. I need a bigger freezer.

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I miss picking my own at Mrs. Schornes blueberry farm in Mickleton NJ when I was a kid.
    $.15 a pint for all you could pick.It was entirely possible to pick 5 GALLONS an hour,if you went at it like you meant it..
    Berries as large and larger than a US Quarter Dollar coin!!
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of ours has a blueberry farm and he lets us pick all we want for free after his commercial pickers are done. We both picked a five gallon bucket full each in 20 minutes. We froze the 10 gallons in quart bags for later.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should get a nice Vodka like Stoli, Finlandia or Russian Shot and fill it half way with the berries. Maybe with sugar. Let it sit for about 6 months and enjoy. Works well with Wiskey, too. Also the drunk berries are good on ice cream.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meh. I remember picking wild blueberries in Southern Maine in my youth; full of flavor & naturally sweet. The berries sold today in stores are sour & flavorless; if they weren't so full of nutrients, I wouldn't buy them, ever.

My guess is, the blueberry & strawberry commercial farmers squeeze out a little more profit by using only enough fertilizer to get market weigh. My children have no idea what really good berries taste like.

Neal
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was in Nova Scotia during berry season. Saw a sign "Fresh Blueberries"- it was about 9AM, we stopped. Lady was VERY apologetic- the pickers had not delivered the first batch of the day- all she had were YESTERDAY'S blueberries. 25 Canadian cents for a Canadian quart.

We snacked on blueberries, made blueberry pancakes while camping. Marvelous. Berries the size of a marble.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just go to Walmart and buy mine at almost $5 for a pack that has about a pint in it.[:(]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    My bushes are LOADED this year. I grabbed a big handful cutting grass yesterday.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Meh. I remember picking wild blueberries in Southern Maine in my youth; full of flavor & naturally sweet. The berries sold today in stores are sour & flavorless; if they weren't so full of nutrients, I wouldn't buy them, ever.

My guess is, the blueberry & strawberry commercial farmers squeeze out a little more profit by using only enough fertilizer to get market weigh. My children have no idea what really good berries taste like.

Neal

Those little maine berries are great. The ones here in Georgia are the size of rabbit eyes and if you know where to go and only pick the ripe ones they ae outstanding.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wild blueberries are very small berries, I have a couple bushes I bought at a Nursery with much larger berries but they have not done well in the hot muggy climate.
    I need a variety I can grow in Coastal SC with big berries. My Wild Blackberries are the same way prolific but small.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blueberry's are good usually can get them for $2.00 a pint in stores here.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wild strawberries, blackberries and grapes I picked as a kid and brought hope for my mother to make jams, jelly, pies, or just to eat were so much better than anything I have tasted since. Course most things tasted better in the 50s.[8D]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like the smallest crop in a decade here, at least at my house. I think we got a little too much rain and not enough sun. This has been a cool spring. I love me some blueberry pancakes. [:)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.