In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Breaking News story !!!

babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Forget gun control....forget Obamacare....forget the economy.

THIS is the most important news story now out there...

""STRANGE NEWS HEADLINES
REUTERS -- World's biggest fast-food chain seeks new ketchup for its famous french fries. McDonald's Corp (MCD) on Friday said it plans to end its 40-year relationship with ketchup maker H.J. Heinz Co, since that company is now led by Bernardo Hees, the former chief executive of hamburger rival Burger King Worldwide Inc (BKW.N). "As a result of recent management changes at Heinz, we have decided to transition our business to other suppliers over time," McDonald's said in a statement. "We have spoken to Heinz and plan to work together to ensure a smooth and orderly transition," said McDonald's, which has more than 34,000 restaurants around the globe. Heinz declined to comment. "As a matter of policy, Heinz does not comment on relationships with customers," company spokesman Michael Mullen said. The switch will be more apparent overseas than in the United States, as McDonald's only serves Heinz ketchup in two domestic markets - Pittsburgh and Minneapolis, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Friday. Indeed, ketchup packages handed out at McDonald's restaurants in the United States often say only "fancy ketchup." Most in-store ketchup dispensers are not branded.

The move from McDonald's could benefit Heinz ketchup rivals Hunt's, owned by ConAgra Foods Inc (CAG), and Del Monte. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway and an investment fund affiliated with 3G Capital bought Heinz for $28 billion in June and immediately named Hees CEO. Burger King went public in June 2012, less than two years after it was taken private by 3G Capital Management LLC, which retains a stake in the fast-food chain. Burger King has been a Heinz customer for "decades" and uses its products in roughly 80 percent of markets around the world, spokesman Miguel Piedra told Reuters. ""

Comments

• nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is funny when you look at it and most of us wont think twice, but in a business sense this is huge.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I can almost remember the last time I was in a McDonald's- it must have been about 1976 and was in Lacrosse Wisconsin. The caf? that I really desired to eat was a little shop that had been down the street that served GREAT Coney Island hot dogs. But the operator had passed away and the business had closed.

Somehow I think I'll survive the change of condiments at McDonald's. It's only a matter of time until McDonald's buys the farm.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'd bet the phone call to Heinz was a warm and fuzzy one...."hope you and BK have a happy life".....over....
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:It's only a matter of time until McDonald's buys the farm.

I don't think so, The government is going to have them issue the McSoylent sandwich before too long...
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I can almost remember the last time I was in a McDonald's- it must have been about 1976 and was in Lacrosse Wisconsin. The caf? that I really desired to eat was a little shop that had been down the street that served GREAT Coney Island hot dogs. But the operator had passed away and the business had closed.

Somehow I think I'll survive the change of condiments at McDonald's. It's only a matter of time until McDonald's buys the farm.

doubt it. Mcdonalds businss model is one the best in the county and the highly guarded and secret marketing model/strategy is probably the best around. Ever see a Mcdonalds go out of business?
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stopped buying Heinz products when John Kerry ran for POTUS.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B

Ei ei o
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mcdonalds is sounding better as I never did like their Ketchup.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    just about anything mcdonalds buys makes them the largest consumer of that item. they are the worlds largest buyer of ground beef, chicken, probably ketchup etc as well. when they make a supplier move, they literally change the market for that product. heinz wont fold over this, but they are definitely going to feel it.

i would highly doubt mcdonalds will ever be truly done for. they will adapt to whatever market forces are at play. they seemlessly transitioned from transfats. they've been able to play through increases and decreases in product sizes without a loss in business. they are a multibillion dollar company that has a huge market share. they are here to stay. even if fast food were to somehow be outlawed tmrw, by monday they'd be on tv pimping their salads and yogurt dishes.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect It's only a matter of time until McDonald's buys the farm.
    Ei ei o
    [/quote]

Glad to see someone got it!!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They'll be better off with packets of salsa for the Latino market/employees. Who owns Pace?
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loved that movie, SK.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They need some Whataburger ketchup.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""The switch will be more apparent overseas than in the United States, as McDonald's only serves Heinz ketchup in two domestic markets - Pittsburgh and Minneapolis, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ""

I wonder why is that???

Me thinks it a marketing thing...."Yes we at McDonalds use high quality
    Heinz condiments". [;)]

{well at least in 1% of our stores}

[:0][;)]
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    just about anything mcdonalds buys makes them the largest consumer of that item. they are the worlds largest buyer of ground beef, chicken, probably ketchup etc as well. when they make a supplier move, they literally change the market for that product. heinz wont fold over this, but they are definitely going to feel it.

When they announced that they were going to start offering tomatoes on some burgers they had to make that announcement months in advance so they wouldnt cause a worldwide tomato shortage.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ...whats the big deal,,they can make ketchup in china,,,[;)][;)]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Wife used to Manage a McD's - She Will NOT allow us to go there! Nuff Said!
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who even cares.