In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'd have carried this combo.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Loaded up some warm 38 Specials using a 158 lead semi-wadcutter over enough 2400 to make 1125 FPS from a 4" barrel. This load duplicates the 38/44 factory load and came from an older reloading manual. This load won't appear in recent ones on advice of counsel. Now all the published loads are kept way below maximum chamber pressure.

Ran some of these through a Colt Officers Model Match made in 1950. If I were a cop back in the 1950s and restricted to a 38 revolver this combination of gun/ammo would have worked fine.

standard.jpg
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's incredible. That's about what I got with Hornady leverevolution .357 magnum 140 gr from a 2" barrel. I'd carry that any day.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cce, isnt that ammo meant for rifles, ie slower powders for the longer bbls? if so i would bet that is about the worst ammo for a snubby. lota flash?

Doc, that is a pretty good load for .38!
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    So if a bear... nevermind.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Doc with an officers model match you need two Clicks left [:0][}:)] A lot of master class BULLS-EYE shooters in the early days prefered the colt to the S&W for centerfire . short hammer throw. [^]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I made the sight adjustment and the next group was centered but one flier drifted out and spoiled it.
    ....................................................................................................
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    cce, isnt that ammo meant for rifles, ie slower powders for the longer bbls? if so i would bet that is about the worst ammo for a snubby. lota flash?

Doc, that is a pretty good load for .38!

It's for both rifles and revolvers. Not necessarily for 2", more for the 8" revolvers. So yeah, I'm losing a bit of velocity. I'd like to try the critical defense .357 magnum soon.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cant shoot that well from more than 3-4 ft. [8D]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just realized that I goofed. It's an Officers Model Target not Match.

Not a big deal but I want to get it right.

This gun:

standard.jpg
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [:D] Very good shooting !!

[:o)][:o)] JIMBO
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's pretty hot stuff for the old Colt. My FIL ruined his doing that and it started spitting lead out the sides.