In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tactical Shotguns

TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Im looking into a good Tac 12gauge for the house and just wondering what peoples favorites are? I think id prefer an automatic but then again Id like to give my wife the ability to work the action(cant beat the sound). What do yall think as far as brand and model?

Comments

• fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Get an 870 or a 500.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still awaiting the invention of tactical waterfowl to make the sport even more exciting.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester 1300, and 2 Mossberg 500's. No complaints about either for what they are used for.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 870 marine If I leave it in the truck a few days i don't have to worry about it rusting[img][/img]870marine_mag-*.jpg

When my son outgrew his 1100 youth model I use it for that duty nice short combo with little recoil
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    No such things. Only modification for different usage and preferance.
  • RTKBARTKBA Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    TexasSS.....I happen to like riot shotguns...short handy little fellows that never fail. I keep a Stevens 520 Riot in one truck, Stevens 620 Riot in another. Keep a Smith 971 old South Carolina trooper shotgun by the bed and a High Standard Riot upstairs in the office. Favor pumps and keep the semi's in the gun cabinets (1100's, Winnie 1400's, Beretta 390's and such) as the pumps never fail when needed and you are right...something about racking the gun gets proper attention[^][:D][:)]. Good luck in your choice[8D]
  • TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gary Wray... Riot? Ive heard of these before but what exactly is it? Forgive my ignorance but i always assumed it was more or less a slang term.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TexasSS
    Gary Wray... Riot? Ive heard of these before but what exactly is it? Forgive my ignorance but i always assumed it was more or less a slang term.

Riot is the old school word for tacti-cool though more practicle.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 870, Winchester 1300, and Mossberg 500 are all pumps that can be found used in the $150 or under price range. For the money, they're dang hard to beat. I have a Mossberg 500 and in comparison to my 870 and my Browning semi, it's a pretty rough gun. But for the price, and use, it can't be beat.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Winchester 1300 now but would love a Benelli M4.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    What action sound? You mean the sound that lets anyone know right where you are? The sound that says hey my gun is normally unloaded? The sound that says you have 1 less round then you could?
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a different question regarding the shotgun for personal protection. Everyone makes them in 12ga but so far only Remington puts one out in 20ga that I know of.

Why does everyone look down on the 20ga? It puts pellets out there, perhaps not as far, but it tends to not make chopped steak out of your shoulder after a box or two at the range.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TexasSS

TexasSS...."Riot guns" typically are short barreled shotguns that were made by many companies beginning in the early part of the 20th century. Mainly used by prison guards, police and such. They were "dressed up" with heat shields and bayonet lugs and called "trench shotguns" in WWI and WWII. They were the tactical shotguns of yesteryear (where I live much of the time[^]). All the big makers made them, but I prefer Winchester and Stevens but HiStandard is not far behind. If you can find one, try it....I think you will like it[:D][:)]
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong with either the Mossberg 500, 590 or Remington 870. Either one will do the job you ask of it, and will do it reliably. The best thing for you to do is find one of each at local shop that allows you to rent the guns and shoot them. Each one has it's own distinct feel when shot, they each have a different recoil, shouldering, etc. Find the one you are most comfortable with. Another gun to look at is the Benelli Nova. Super reliable, tough as nails, fairly priced and is a shooter.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    Here is a different question regarding the shotgun for personal protection. Everyone makes them in 12ga but so far only Remington puts one out in 20ga that I know of.

Why does everyone look down on the 20ga? It puts pellets out there, perhaps not as far, but it tends to not make chopped steak out of your shoulder after a box or two at the range.

That's what I was going to suggest. a mossberg or remington 20 gauge pump, easier for wives to handle the recoil, not be afraid of getting hurt by it.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 870 HD...
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 500. 12-Guage.

If you ever have to use it for it's intended purpose, you'll never feel it through the adrenaline. That is - until a day or so later.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have a old PD 870 I refinished, a 590, and a Beretta 1201FP.
    The 870 is by the bed and the 590 is downstairs. The 1201FP get used mostly in matches.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170I like the 870 marine If I leave it in the truck a few days i don't have to worry about it rusting[img][/img]870marine_mag-*.jpgWhen my son outgrew his 1100 youth model I use it for that duty? nice short combo with little recoil Very nice.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beretta 1201...nothing finer[:)]
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pardner protector.....it will take nearly every 870 part/accessory, and will cost you less (its just an 870 clone).

riot guns generally have top or side folding stocks and a barrel of 18 inches. For home purposes, a folding stock is not that great as it takes time to unfold (if you are going to use it which you should).

mossbergs are great as well. either way, you should be able to pick up a great gun that will do the job, used, for less than 200 bucks.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Been thinking along these lines too. A Mossberg 590 appeals to me for the greater capacity over the 500, but I haven't looked at all the brands yet. My first shotgun was a Mossberg so that's just the first one I looked at.

Some thoughts on a Home Defense Shotgun. I'm no expert, I've just been looking into it lately, reading what others have to say and this is the advice I am following:

* As with anything important in life buy the best you can afford, and make the best use of what you can afford. The 500 series have been going BOOM quite reliably for decades and can be found cheap on the used market, so it's a good place to begin. If you can afford a higher priced brand, that's fine too. Just make sure you have money left over to train with!

* Short barrel (18.5"), cylinder bore. You want to be able to swing the thing inside a house. Any threat inside a house is not going to need the longer reach and tighter patterns of a long barreled duck whacker. Of course, some folks have really big houses!

* Stick with a shoulder stock. Unless you train a lot and get real good and stay in practice a pistol grip replacement ruins the natural pointing of the weapon. Also very hard on the old carpal tunnel thing.

* At most indoor distances even number 8 to number 4 shot is devastating to a human attacker. You would need to have a big house for the bad guys to be too far away as the shot column has little time to expand. So you don't need to spend money on buckshot or slugs. Plus you have better odds of keeping your stray fire inside your home, not crossing the street to annoy the neighbors. If you are absolutely set on blasting out bigger pellets, go with the smaller of them you can accept. Many folks that have written on this topic call number 4 shot the ideal compromise. If you think you are going to be using the weapon outdoors, perhaps in a large yard area, then you may want to reconsider this advice.

* Shotguns are not magical pellet sprayers. Only in the movies does one blast wipe out a crowd of bad guys ten feet away. You still have to aim at anyone you want to hit. Especially close-in when the shot column has little time to expand.

* Never mind the laser, optical sights or tactical stocks. The best accessory you can spend your money on is a tactical flashlight attached to the weapon. It tells you where you are shooting, blinds your attacker and frees up one of your own hands in the dark house at night.

* Capacity is less important than most people would think. A 12 or 20 round shotgun is a weapon of war and riot control, you don't need to spend all that money for a home defense weapon. Few people who use a shotgun in defending their home actually fire more than a couple of times any way. So the typical 5+1 capacity will serve you well. If you really want more for holding off the Zombie horde, there's always the 9 round models that won't bust the bank. If it is a survivalist mindset you are working with, well then go for it and have fun!

Currently the only shotgun I own is my 30 year old Newhaven 600AT by Mossberg. Really just a standard model 500 under a name they used for department store sales. I have the original 28" barrel and an 18.5" barrel. Years ago I set it up for problem bear concerns, when I lived in the mountains. Kept it ready with alternating buckshot and slugs. Have a 6 shell carrier on the receiver. Never had to use it for personal defense, but still I'm thinking it is overdue to be upgraded.

Must be the Zombie movies making me think this way ...

That's just me, your mileage will surely vary.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    If it's for everybody in the house to use in an emergency, I'd have the 870 at the ready.

Only a billions variants to choose from these days. I like the old wood and cold blued steel ones from the 60's.

Just saw one called "tactical" and the piece of crap had a plastic trigger guard. How tactical is that?

I think the old ones are better, less melting parts...
  • barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    This is my opinion for what it is worth and probably not much, But for home defense I would buy something like a Mossberg and leave it out if you don't have Kids , and I would look around here on the forums at sellers that have used ones so it didn't cost me much, That way if someone ever breaks in when you are not home and you have other guns in a safe they will most likely take what they can grab and leave your safe alone and be on their way , this way your not out of a lot of money and what ever you have stored away they are less likely to try to break into the safe, But I would not leave a gun out if I had Kids in the house, just my opinion probably not worth a hill of beans.
  • shortphatokieshortphatokie Member Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Franchi SPAS 12......
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by barbwired
    This is my opinion for what it is worth and probably not much, But for home defense I would buy something like a Mossberg and leave it out if you don't have Kids , and I would look around here on the forums at sellers that have used ones so it didn't cost me much, That way if someone ever breaks in when you are not home and you have other guns in a safe they will most likely take what they can grab and leave your safe alone and be on their way , this way your not out of a lot of money and what ever you have stored away they are less likely to try to break into the safe, But I would not leave a gun out if I had Kids in the house, just my opinion probably not worth a hill of beans.
    +1, I have a 20 Ga 870 by the front door and a 12 ga tacticool 870 elsewhere. Let the crooks get the cheap stuff.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    let the crooks get the cheap stuff?

don't let them get anything but lead.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my Mossberg "Bullpup" 20" barrel with 9 rounds.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I know it has limitations, and is very "old school," but still have a soft spot for a short side-by-side -- preferably with exposed hammers. Remember the Rossi Coach Gun?

While the smoke is clearing, it takes 1.5 seconds to reload. Anyone can ooperate the sucker. And you gotta love the sound of those two hammers coming back. Plus, it'll sit behind the kitchen door nicely while loaded, with the hammers down.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    As attractive as a high capacity pump gun is to me, I have to admit the old double barrel side by side would be a fine choice. I have been reading what some experienced people have to say, and most home defense situations end with one or two rounds fired. Rarely more than that.

Looking at completed sales here, the prices ran from $275 to $555, average looks around $400. That's the problem, the ATF decided all guns had to have a safety and they did not accept the Rossi Coach Gun's rebounding hammers as such. So they banned the import, made it scarce.

Morons.

Wish somebody in the USA would make one like it, add a safety and it'd sell I think.

Chris

quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    I know it has limitations, and is very "old school," but still have a soft spot for a short side-by-side -- preferably with exposed hammers. Remember the Rossi Coach Gun?
    While the smoke is clearing, it takes 1.5 seconds to reload. Anyone can ooperate the sucker. And you gotta love the sound of those two hammers coming back. Plus, it'll sit behind the kitchen door nicely while loaded, with the hammers down.
  • MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 18" Remy 870 Tac 2 next to my bed with top-folding pistol grip stock, and a 6 shell side saddle. Gives me basically 14+1 using 2 3/4" shells and will definitely suit my home defense needs.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shortphatokie
    Franchi SPAS 12......

I sure hope that is a joke. A single shot NEF is a better shotgun for self defense then a SPAS.

In semi it will only cycle with the heaviest loads out there. In pump you have a 10lb pump shotgun. You have to make sure both safeties are in the correct positions before the gun will fire. Then you have to make sure you have the safeties in the right position to load.

I have owned them and would never trust my life to one. The do look cool in the movies cause they do look cool. If they were reliable and lighter like a Benelli M3 (pump/semi) they could have been a great gun. They were just a little ahead of their time.
  • TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was looking around and got interested in the Benelli M4; out of my price range but if Im dreaming... Anybody got input on it?
    edited November -1
    M1, M3 and M4 are all awsome. I have had an M1 for a long time and it is a great gun. I know little about the M2. The M3 is a pump/semi that works well. My buddy has an M4 that I pulled the stock mag tube off of and added a full size mag tube. He loves the thing and I am sure I would too. I am just not willing to spend that much on another shotgun that I will end up hardly shooting.
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    pardner protector.....it will take nearly every 870 part/accessory, and will cost you less (its just an 870 clone).

riot guns generally have top or side folding stocks and a barrel of 18 inches. For home purposes, a folding stock is not that great as it takes time to unfold (if you are going to use it which you should).

mossbergs are great as well. either way, you should be able to pick up a great gun that will do the job, used, for less than 200 bucks.

I have the defender and it looks like an 870, do 870 barrels fit them?