In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2000 Mountaineer Front Wheels Shake -Advise Please

sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
Question Please - I have a 2000 Mountaineer that has 140,000 miles on it and I had a new set of tires put all the way around about two months ago. Well the old tires were doing the same thing and now the new ones are also. I get random shaking in the steering wheel at various speeds (not while applying the brakes) so I went to another tire store and had my new tires re-balanced, still no change. The front shocks are original. Could this be my problem? I wonder if the worn out shocks are allowing the front wheels to vibrate because of the roads. There is no consistent speed at which it shakes. It is not a left to right movement in the steering wheel it like a tire is out of round. Thanks in advance for any feedback......Mark

Comments

• jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wheel bearings/hub
  • m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same problem. Turned out to be bad tires.

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you hit any pothole and does it have the alum. wheels they can be knocked out of round after about 5000 miles the tire wheel conform to the shape of the out of round wheel.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    At 140,000 I bet the shocks don't hardly bouce back on their own anymore. If you haven't done anything to the front end yet could be a lot wrong.

Best way to find out is to jack up the front end supporting the A with a jack stand and pull and pry on the wheel.
  • carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brake roters warped
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Have you hit any pothole and does it have the alum. wheels they can be knocked out of round after about 5000 miles the tire wheel conform to the shape of the out of round wheel.

Savage - Not to my knowledge - Wife drives it sometimes but I think she would have told me. I just went out and looked at all 4 wheels and there are no dents or severe scrapes on their edges, outside or inside that I could see. Mark
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carrie2
    Brake roters warped

carrie - if this was true would the front not shake when I applied the brakes? Do not know this, I am asking?
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    shocks...my guess[;)]
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sigarmsp226
    quote:Originally posted by savage170

Savage - Not to my knowledge - Wife drives it sometimes but I think she would have told me. I just went out and looked at all 4 wheels and there are no dents or severe scrapes on their edges, outside or inside that I could see. Mark

Just a possiblity that alot of places overlook I'm with Mossbergboogie until you get it in the air and look at it real close it could be a bunch of things another thing that does go bad on them is sway bar bushings
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie
    At 140,000 I bet the shocks don't hardly bouce back on their own anymore. If you haven't done anything to the front end yet could be a lot wrong.

Best way to find out is to jack up the front end supporting the A with a jack stand and pull and pry on the wheel.

Mossberg - Heading out to try this now. Going to see if the front wheels when off the ground have any slack in them. I have seen people do this just never knew what they were doing. I will raise the wheel off the ground about 6 inches and stick a cheater bar under the wheel to see if I there is "play" there.

I have never had the front end serviced on this vehicle and I have driven it the past 100,000 miles.
  • carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of guesses!! Take to a mechanic before it causes an accident!
    another guess--ball joints
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be loose wheel bearings, But I have also seen odd things like bad tie rod ends, misalignment. etc.
    edited November -1
    Well wheel has some up and down play in it so I am going to see my local truck doctor. I do not know enough about these things to fix and I did listen to what you folks said....Got my attention with the fix it before it causes a wreck comment....Thanks everyone...Mark
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as far as shocks go, i had a 90 chevy 1/2 ton pu that all 4 shocks was busted, oil leaked out. that never caused the front end to shake. i could drive 55-65 mph with no problem.
    it could be ball joints/ alignment bushings gone bad. i am not sure what ford has
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drag link, sway bar connection rods broken off bottom A arm, steering box worn, ball joints, wheel bearings. Needs checked by someone that knows what they are looking at.[:)]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    140K?

Good god, man..go in for shocks, balls, and bushings. Nuff said. Joe
  • Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did anyone mention steering stabilizer(dampener)?
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Well the old tires were doing the same thing and now the new ones are also..

That would most likely eliminate the tires.

Wheel bearings and ball joints would be the first place I would look at closely.
  • Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carrie2
    Lots of guesses!! Take to a mechanic before it causes an accident!
    another guess--ball joints
    That's about all you can do online. Too many things have the same symptoms. I would think that the bearings would make a profound noise (like mine are doing [:(])
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    It's a Ford for cryin' out loud. Count your blessings it's lasted this long!!!![:D][:D] A good friend of mine has always had Fords, his dad retired from Ford and his brother currently works there, and he's always had problems with Ford suspensions. Ball joints, bushings, bearings, tie rods, you name it, he's had it replaced. Didn't matter if it was his Ranger, Aerostar, F-150, or Explorer he's had suspension problems. Your problem could be anything.
  • glock4Oglock4O Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a chevy[:D]
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    It's a Ford for cryin' out loud. Count your blessings it's lasted this long!!!![:D][:D] A good friend of mine has always had Fords, his dad retired from Ford and his brother currently works there, and he's always had problems with Ford suspensions. Ball joints, bushings, bearings, tie rods, you name it, he's had it replaced. Didn't matter if it was his Ranger, Aerostar, F-150, or Explorer he's had suspension problems. Your problem could be anything.

I think his problem is this........

I have never had the front end serviced on this vehicle and I have driven it the past 100,000 miles.

[:0]

Grease is cheap, but take your own Vaseline to the dealer.

Allen
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    From Past experience
    Have the Pitman Arm and Idler arm Both Checked .For Play
    It will Cause Random Shake.[^]
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by minitruck83
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench

I think his problem is this........

[:0]

Grease is cheap, but take your own Vaseline to the dealer.

Allen

Most vehicles leave the factory with sealed non-greaseable front end parts. And they tend to last a long time actually. I haven't changed tie rod end on my F-150 and it has 129,000 on it. Uppers and lowers I replaced with greaseable stuff.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    if you havent done front end parts yet, you got the miracle mountaineer.

in mass, if you get a legit inspection, they check all the front end suspension part yearly. a little grease and early replacement of worn parts saves you huge amounts of time, money, and aggravation in the long run.

i wont speculate as to what all needs to be replaced, as im neither a mechanic nor able to physically inspect the vehicle. the only thing i can tell you is to get it to a mechanic and have them shake down the front end. if its a problem thats been worsening for awhile, which would be my guess, then you could be looking at a laundry list of repairs.

have a very recent repair estimate from a shop that does first class work and charges you for it for what amounts to about 50% of the front end wear parts in a 2001 ram pickup. 2900. it adds up quick.

regular maintenance and inspection by a qualified mechanic.....
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    From Past experience
    Have the Pitman Arm and Idler arm Both Checked .For Play
    It will Cause Random Shake.[^]

I had a '74 Celica as a kid that would shake like hell from 52 - 56 MPH. Above or below that it was fine. Turned out to be the pitman arm.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Sheesh! 140K on the Original Shocks? They went south about at 40,000 if they were EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD! Original Equip Shocks are Notoriously weak/cheap/poor, on all vehicles except things like Corvettes, where Handling is what you are paying extra for.

I always replace Shocks at or before 50,000 miles.

With essentially Zero shocks, since at least 100,000 miles ago, then you may have shaken any bolted joint on the entire car loose. Things like Alternator mount bolts have probably sawed themselves halfway through!

For sure, Your Ball Joints, Suspension Bushings and Bolts, Adjusting cams, and Pittman joints are EVERY ONE dangerously worn!

Make sure you take it to a shop with MOOG parts for sale, and try to find a Shop that uses BEAR alignment equipment. If you find both in one shop, you will get out of there with a good front end. It will Cost Ya - Don't know if ya want to sink a lot of money in the job, as it is a FORD, and may just be waiting for someone to break the paint and grease and Mud that is holding it together!

Just as an aside, The Sidewalls of Tires can be non-uniform, and while the tire/wheel is balanced, the difference in ease of flexing of the sidewalls can cause an oscillatory mode excitation of the suspension, ESPECIALLY with Zero Shock absorbtion! This is more common in tires with thick sidewalls, like off-road tires.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google Death Wobble--you can even see examples of it on youtube. It's more common on older Jeeps & jacked up 4x4's with big tires but it can happen to regular rigs too--can be from a combination of things--tires, shocks, steering stabilizers, ball joints-heck even the wrong air pressure can cause it. Take it to a reputable shop that knows what to look for.