In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Snowblower......

MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Who's got em, watcha got? Horsepower? Width? Make/Model? My driveway is gravel. I only got a chance to put down 4-6 inches of 2" stone as a base. I never got a layer of item down before the winter. Think this is gonna be a problem? Ive never used a snow blower before. Am I gonna shoot my driveway all over the yard with this thing?

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gravel and snow blowers are a bad mix....
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a Crapsman with the Tecumseh (SPELLING) 5.5 hp I'm dreading the next few days using it.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Devil 8ft, 160 hp tractor pry a little bigger than you were thinking eh?
    blowingsnow.jpg

snowblower-1.jpg
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the one I had on my tractor when I lived in Alaska, I cleared ACRES of lot with it.
    http://snowblowerusa.com/new-holland-716c-6-ft-snow-blower

I did not worry about gravel, it ate more than one basket ball!

Once a 3/4" thick piece of plywood went into the auger, dang was I pissed about forgetting about it being there. That blower ate the plywood and threw splinters 50 feet.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If yours has "feet" on it lower them an inch or two. You will leave an inch or two of snow but you can still get the bulk of the snow off your driveway.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowdoc
    blowingsnow.jpg

ya gotum all beat[:D]
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a craftsman 24" duel stage (HP ?).
    i have had it since 1983.
    yes it will throw gravel. it is just like a lawn mower.
    if it can pick it up it will throw it.
    there is adjustment on the front where you can raise or lower them
    edited November -1
    i have a cub cadet pry 24" with 10hp Tecumseh which is a * to start good thing it has 120volt starter or youd never get it started stay away from tecumseh engines!
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    Landlord has a Bobcat he cleans my parking spot and plows the drive with his big truck.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be sure you adjust your discharge chute so the snow (and gravel) don't blow towards anything of value. That's after you adjust the feet down as far as they go.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    At work I have a tool cat with the blower on it. It's very extreme and we only use it to move large piles of snow into the next universe. For the sidewalks we use a Walker with the brush after a few passes with a 30in Husqvarna 13 horsepower. It has the Tecumseh Snow king in it and that is the best damn motor ever put in a snow thrower. The honda is nice and all but the Tecumseh killed them all. A damn shame they were discontinued. Not sure if the new Husqverna motor will be worth a crap.

At home I use a ARIENS 924 that has the Tecumseh 8hp motor. It is an older model that has had the crap kicked out of it during my drinking days and still works like a swiss watch. The housing had to get a few welds over the years and I put a new bar and guards on it last year. It makes trails in the woods, builds huge kickers (jumps) and can clean the snow on my driveway down the the asphalt. It launches snow like mad and really likes the heavy stuff. That old original engine loves a work load.

I love my Ariens, It's a snow blowing love affair. If I ever have to buy another one it will be an Ariens. They are superior to all others on the market. They have the bolts in places where you can get to them. They have zerks unlike the girlie ones and they can be beaten by a drunken norwegian and not die.

If you are going to be doing a gravel driveway, make sure to have your guards down all the way or at least so far that you dont tear into the gravel with the blades. My old Ariens has the smooth surface and will bump off most the rocks in the woods, but the one at work has the serrated surface and would dig into the gravel if the guards weren't creating a protective gap.

Have fun and stretch out before you get out there and work!

Nick
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    blowingsnow.jpg

snowblower-1.jpg

Damn Doc, How big is your driveway??? LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of something I can walk behind...but I dont think I'd have to worry about the gravel with yours[:D]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    blowingsnow.jpg

snowblower-1.jpg

SICK SICK SICK!!! That's a good thing!!!

I want one for our farm in Wisconsin! My brother would freaking love it! How is the maintenance on it?
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

Damn Doc, How big is your driveway??? LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of something I can walk behind...but I dont think I'd have to worry about the gravel with yours[:D]
    [/quote]

gravel makes a hell of a racket going through it.....got a short piece of 2x4 in it...pretty much made tooth picks out of it....i use it clear trails to feed lots, open roads and ect
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Cowdoc's always got the cool toys.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    V8%20Snow%20Blower.jpeg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toro 180. can't use a bigger one because I have to clear between vehicles at the utility company lot. have put 40 hrs or so on it in the last few weeks. 4 cycle. Good so far. chucks the snow pretty far.

We got a big snow a couple weeks ago, about 30 inches, just a little over the top of the poop chute. that thing took it like a champ and kept coming. did about 12 hrs or so on it in 2 days. wore me out, but worked fine.
    4 cycle bogs down less than the 2 cycle throwers I've used.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    have a 1968 wards 5hp 24" that i got when it was still new and unused in 1986 old guy had in garage..served well till 2 years ago when i got a 32"13hp simplicity with 5forwrd and 2 reverse and a sno cab..but that pic of whelen puts it all to shame[:0]
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got ya SNOW BLOWER Right Here...
    compliments of forgemonkey.

764648991.jpg

Now... THAT's a SNOW BLOWER...
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. It's official.

My pic loses.[:D][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    Toro 180. can't use a bigger one because I have to clear between vehicles at the utility company lot. have put 40 hrs or so on it in the last few weeks. 4 cycle. Good so far. chucks the snow pretty far.

We got a big snow a couple weeks ago, about 30 inches, just a little over the top of the poop chute. that thing took it like a champ and kept coming. did about 12 hrs or so on it in 2 days. wore me out, but worked fine.
    4 cycle bogs down less than the 2 cycle throwers I've used.

Sounds like your going to get your money's worth out of it in the next couple of days.
  • glock4Oglock4O Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats a good way to spread out gravel![:D]
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Yup. It's official.

My pic loses.[:D][;)]
    [:D]
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    I got ya SNOW BLOWER Right Here...
    compliments of forgemonkey.

764648991.jpg

Now... THAT's a SNOW BLOWER...

AHHHH!

A Richardson. Finally someone posted a picture of a REAL snowblower. I have 3 of them.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I have a yardmaster 9hp 30" or 32" cut cant remember which. I really do not need all the hp for my small drive but being gimped up it does all the work.Just set up the skid plates above the gravel and it will work fine
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHgMswb6u-Q3v9iMJISZd6-58AM32Ojsa58K9pmCEE9AJglX3c&t=1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHgMswb6u-Q3v9iMJISZd6-58AM32Ojsa58K9pmCEE9AJglX3c&t=1

17321_0187_1_lg.jpg

Big one is a McGee. Similar to this one I found on Google. It's a POS! Use it on a JD4440. You can't drive slow enough and turn the impeller fast enough. Break a lot of shear bolts. There is a reason why Dad didn't use it much. The snow has to be just perfect for it. Not too wet, must be fluffy and not frozen like Styrofoam. I haven't even mounted this blower this year.

The loader will get mounted on the 4440 before this blower does!

img416.jpg

This little feller is awesome. The only objection is the plastic impeller. I can move snow fast enough with it. Faster than a loader bucket or skidloader. It's OK on gravel. Last year I raised the skids up 1 inch the first blow. This year I lowered it back down. Either way I do eat a little gravel but not much. It will blow 30 feet easy and eat into a 5 foot drift. CA6 gravel is fine. The big road rock gravel, I'd lower the skids back down 1 inch. I cannot say enough good things about this blower.

An old time JD saleman once said "Buy a lawn mower to mow grass and buy a snow blower to blow snow. Don't buy a lawn mower to blow snow." John Deere has improved these snow blowers.

We just got this back together. Dad used it for years and the JD cylinder blew out. He put a loader it that was too big for the tractor and took too put weight off the rear end, even with fluid in the tires. You get a bucket of snow and the rear tires would spin.

img448.jpg

img447.jpg
    The blade is a much better match for this tractor. It's 10 feet wide but manual tilt.