In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Freelance Artist

randompersonrandomperson Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
I am a freelance artist and was interested in making an assault rifle chandelier. I'm unsure of how to go about obtaining these gun parts since I do not have a permit. Does anyone have any ideas on where I should go about finding the supplies? Ideally I'd like a cheaper solution due to lacking money currently.

Comments

• Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Down around Arizona way, I hear they're pretty easy to come by.
  • randompersonrandomperson Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm from New Jersey.
    edited November -1
    They won't hold that against you.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please define "assault rifle".
  • randompersonrandomperson Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An AR-15 or AK-47 preferably.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy some really good airsofts
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by randomperson
    An AR-15 or AK-47 preferably.

Neither one of these is an assault rifle. They are both semi-automatic sporting arms.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a lot easier to just wrap your lights with linked ammo belts.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a freelance artist and was interested in making an assault rifle chandelier.

How about making a chandelier out of something other than negative stereotypes?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    I am a freelance artist and was interested in making an assault rifle chandelier.

But that's not nearly as ironically hip.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

Indeed.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

Indeed.

I don't find anything negative about semi-auto rifles...

As for the project, you can purchase parts kits and possibly some demilled receivers for the project. It would keep it legal in your unfree state as well.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    RandomPerson, I love good art. A chandelier would be more poppy crap commercial art you sell to some yuppie, but it would be cool. Here is real art by my friend ted..http://www.saatchionline.com/art/view/artist/54672/art/218956

None the less, it is a creative idea that would look pretty freaking awesome. If you want your item to mean something, you could always visit a country where you can buy an AK-47 for about 45 bucks and demill or scrap them in country and ship them back as parts without a permit. You get a vacation out of the deal and probably end up saving money since an AK kit here will run you no less than 200 and no more than 600. Forget the AR idea unless you are willing to buy a bunch of parts minus the receiver which you can make or put an airsoft modified receiver on.

Come to think of it, you could buy replicas or airsofts... But for effect, you want the real deal.

It's a pretty good concept. I think a peace sign the size of a wall would be much more interesting at a show than a lamp for sale but whatever.

Good luck and if you are anti-gun, suck an egg!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Indeed.

I don't find anything negative about semi-auto rifles...

Don't get me wrong, Eric, neither do I, I just can't bring myself to accept the term "assault rifle".[:)][;)]
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    that would bring new meaning to the term "light em up"
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm from New Jersey.

Do you know anyone on the New York Mayor's staff? Maybe they can get you some. [:D] [:D] [:D]
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would go well with my hand grenade salt and pepper shakers and my napalm fired chaffing dish.
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Randomperson,

I wouldn't want you to divulge any secrets over the design, but I am trying to wrap my head around what parts you'd really need for the project. If you are handy with metal and/or wood, well, you might not actually need to buy real weapon parts in the first place. You could get softwoods (laminating pine boards together is really cheap) and shape them into rifle butts and receivers, various dowels or tubes for barrels, etc. If you have access to welding and metal working equipment (or tubes of JB Weld) you could work metal plates into shape in lieu of real receivers. Bound to be cheaper, but maybe just a little more time consuming. On the plus side, you wouldn't have to worry about a knock on your NJ door from authority figures.

Of course if the weapons are to be reduced to individual parts and pieces that would be a different matter.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post a sketch of your design. I and many other forum members I'm assuming would like to see it.

I have no intention of stealing and embarking on your project myself, trust me.