In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Went to the local Wal Mart

ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
We needed some baby formula so I went to get some. We are going to get an ice storm. I walked back to the grocery section and not one loaf of bread or gallon of milk in the store.

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you are going to be in trouble when SHTF....sounds like its coming quick[:)]
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big snow forecast = "The French Toast Syndrome" all the eggs, milk and bread disappear.[:)]
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you see any fat chicks on electric scooters? Especially one with a a little Grumpy hiney on the wheels?
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got there at 4:00 and Walmart was PACKED!

Got milk, bread, eggs, orange juice, coffee flavoring,sausage, and a humidifier.

Lines were long and the crazies were in full force.

As for necessities, I have plenty of Makers Mark, Crown, beer, and rum of several flavors.

Ice storm, where is your sting now?
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I didnt need anything but baby formula and that is what I bought I just wanted to see what the morons were buying. I buy a beef and kill a hog every year got a loaf of bread and 2 in the freezer and plenty of milk. Generator is running fine should be good to go.

Even got some high velocity ball bearings for my assault sling shot.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to SHOVEL THOSE ROOFS!!![:D]
    I'll be detecting on the nice warm beach!!![8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick

Got milk, bread, eggs, orange juice, coffee flavoring,sausage, and a humidifier.

As for necessities, I have plenty of Makers Mark, Crown, beer, and rum of several flavors.

I live in central Indiana
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always have canned milk, powdered milk, flower, baking powders etc. in the cupboard. Sure it's not what you really want to drink but it sure is handy when your snowed in and want to cook. Can make biscuits, bake other breads, or make frying pan bread if I need/want to.

Freezer is full as well as plenty of canned goods, beans, rice, whatever. I don't fight the crowds before a storm, if I don't want to get out we're fine anyway.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    OP,

Consider what you just experienced and then think about your family. Do you have things squared away so you don't have to worry about bread or milk? That was an ice storm, how about martial law?

I bet there was flour, salt, yeast and dried milk on the shelves!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    OP,

Consider what you just experienced and then think about your family. Do you have things squared away so you don't have to worry about bread or milk? That was an ice storm, how about martial law?

I believe I have what I will need. Got every thing you named plus a few more. I try to be prepared But it is a tough job to have absolutely every thing covered
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    snow is snow....sometimes more sometimes less...minnesota boy here 4WD is a life saver[:)]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csjs1194
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    OP,

I believe I have what I will need. Got every thing you named plus a few more. I try to be prepared But it is a tough job to have absolutely every thing covered

Good for you! Kinda shocks you to think that way sometimes, but the S could HTF at any moment! I try not to get all doom and gloom with it but a little bit of prevention goes a long way!
    edited November -1
    Storm,

I think I have enough ammo to keep my house from being the local stop and shop as well.

I hate to think that way as well but in this day and age we have to because nobody will think twice about stealing from my family if the SHTF
  • barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    Yes Sir you could have had a whole lot more fun If you would have went with another member here! And would have forgot about the Bread,And Milk,,,,[8D]
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wally World rocks!!!! I just ordered a set of General Grabber AT2s for the wifes jeep...$550 mounted and balanced. Merchant Tire and Auto is $200 more for the same exact tires! Tire Rack is a couple hundred more too if you include the mounting and balancing...Wally World...$130 a tire
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always keep some powdered milk and sometimes wonder about the folks who buy a bunch of milk knowing the power may go off. I'm pretty sure milk spoils if it gets warm so why tie up your fridge with milk when you can mix some up when you need it.
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Sounds like I need to come weather this storm at your house....I'm down to half a bottle of Makers and half a bottle of Bookers. [:D] Luckily I did stop by the store yesterday and got the stuff for chili, so I have a full crock pot of chili.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    The Chinese are manipulating the weather in order to get you to go to WalMart and buy their products and put more dollars into the accounts of the mega rich Walton family profiting from minimum wage labor and fat people thinking they need more stuff. [;)]
  • farmer37farmer37 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I always keep some powdered milk and sometimes wonder about the folks who buy a bunch of milk knowing the power may go off. I'm pretty sure milk spoils if it gets warm so why tie up your fridge with milk when you can mix some up when you need it.
    Milk will keep fine out on the porch or down cellar.40 degrees all winter. My mother had a box out side the kitchen window for things that wouldnt fit in her small refridgerator.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ox190

Sounds like I need to come weather this storm at your house....I'm down to half a bottle of Makers and half a bottle of Bookers. [:D] Luckily I did stop by the store yesterday and got the stuff for chili, so I have a full crock pot of chili.

Man! Chili sounds good!

Still iced in here, but surviving!
  • kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't understand why everytime we get a storm everyone has to go to the store to get milk & bread. Do people only drink milk & eat bread when it storms? I just heard on the news that the stores around here in PA were running short on shovels. What did they do with the shovels they used last year? We get snow every winter.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kabar

I can't understand why everytime we get a storm everyone has to go to the store to get milk & bread. Do people only drink milk & eat bread when it storms? I just heard on the news that the stores around here in PA were running short on shovels. What did they do with the shovels they used last year? We get snow every winter.

It the survival instinct. People know the storm can't last more than a week, but they want to buy enough stuff to last 6 months.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

In red, above:

The answer is the fools probably threw the shovels away during spring cleaning, because shovels took up space that they needed for the new lawn mower they just bought after throwing the mower away last fall when they didn't need a mower anymore. These people have no sense of foresight and no logic in decision making.
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    Did you see any fat chicks on electric scooters? Especially one with a a little Grumpy hiney on the wheels?

What is it with that???
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ox190

Man! Chili sounds good!

Still iced in here, but surviving!

It was pretty good, had it for breakfast with a pot of coffee.....just had another bowl for dinner. Another snow day tomorrow can't believe my office is closing 2 days in a row....never even seen them close once in 6 yrs.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Don't forget to SHOVEL THOSE ROOFS!!![:D]
    I'll be detecting on the nice warm beach!!![8D]

Damn I am glad you said that. It is piled deep on my roof and I keep forgetting to drag it off.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

LOL!!! I said the same thing to my wife last night. She sent me out to get brown sugar for her oatmeal cookies and I had to leave and come home empty handed. The store was a mad house....not a carton of milk or loaf of bread in sight and lines that stretched down the isles. What would these people do if the S really HTF??
  • texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to Wally World myself today and though it's not snowing it is very cold,20. I noticed all the Natural Light,corn massa and lard was gone.[:D]
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    i have 2 new generators listed on here
    1 diesel with remote start 7500 w
    1 gas pull start 8500 w

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213930175

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213932459
  • navlav8rnavlav8r Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Mississippi, the shelves get cleaned out if the forecasters even MENTION snow or ice in the forecast!!!