In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What a Nation of Wimps

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
I was driving through Atlanta yesterday.
I was listening to am 750, this is the big clear channel radio station in Atlanta, at night can be heard in 23 states.

The lead story on the noon news "Police today shut down a suburban Atlanta school for 2 hours. School authorities found a knife in the backpack of a student. Nobody was injured. More details at 1 pm."

What in the World?

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pukes is more like it!
    What's next?
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in my day most boys carried a pocket knife. I would sneak some of my dads expensive knifes to take to school to show. I'm glad I never lost one of em. What is it coming too?
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Back in my day most boys carried a pocket knife. I would sneak some of my dads expensive knifes to take to school to show. I'm glad I never lost one of em. What is it coming too?

And there'd be shotguns or rifles hanging in the rear windows of pick up trucks.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a knife to school from the third grade till they let me out.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a Buck 110 all thru high school as most boys had a pocket knife of some type .
    I even took a m1 carbine to school while in 9th grade as a sales demo in my DECA class . now I would be surrounded if not shot by a swat team [:(!][:(!]
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent

And there'd be shotguns or rifles hanging in the rear windows of pick up trucks.
    Some of the teachers had nice ens hanging in their windows. Also in Agriculture class we sold magazines to win a gun if we sold enough. I remember one student got a Winchester .44 lever for selling the most.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Most Atlanta suburban schools are majority black.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    Lawsuits.

bingo....The Va Supreme Court threw out the guilty verdicts in the Va Tech shooting lawsuits today. I still haven't figured out how million dollar rewards replace dead kids, but apparently it does. Bravo!!!! How about we put the blame where it belongs, the person that causes the violence.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    A regular old pocket knife I see no problem for a kid to have. Now some like the Leek of assisted opening belt knife maybe they should not have them. But In High school I carried a Buck fixed blade to school on my belt.

I used a pocket knife almost every day and none of those time were against another student or teacher.

Even had a teacher borrow mine when they forgot theirs. Kept mine sharp enough to be used for Castration.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Most City of Atlanta suburban schools are majority black.

Fixed that for you... Up here in Woodstock that is most certainly not the case.
    edited November -1
    Capn, I should have been more specific. Atlanta METRO schools - Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Clayton county schools are all 90%+ black.

It hasn't gotten down here to Lamar yet either!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DITCH-RUNNER
    I carried a Buck 110 all thru high school as most boys had a pocket knife of some type .
    I even took a m1 carbine to school while in 9th grade as a sales demo in my DECA class . now I would be surrounded if not shot by a swat team [:(!][:(!]

I had a Buck 110 that my Grandfather gave me in my pocket every day all through high school . I lost it at some time while at Georgia Tech and replaced it with a Schrade LB7 which I still have and is still in very good shape.

I also have an old German Bonzer 3 blade pen knife that belonged to my Grandfather. I used to carry it a lot, but now only on Christmas day to open presents.

I remember lots of shotguns and rifles in back windows in high school. Most of those vehicles were probably not locked either.

Never thought anything of it. I would not leave a single one of my firearms in plain view in any of my vehicles these days.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I remember my buddies having competitions with their butterfly knives. One kid I knew was always swinging his knife around during class.[:I]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    Capn, I should have been more specific. Atlanta METRO schools - Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Clayton county schools are all 90%+ black.

The Atlanta Metropolitan Area is defined as a 28 county area.
    180px-Atlanta-metroclean.png

Only a few of those counties are at issue here.

Do you ever go over to Cherokee Rose in Griffin? I shoot clays down there once or twice a year.

From the South side, you have a dim view looking up this way.

City of ATL and Clayton yes, South Fulton, DeKalb mostly. City of Marietta getting there. North Fulton and Gwinnette have good spots and bad spots. South Cobb schools are horrible, doesn't matter what color the students are. East Cobb still has a few VERY good schools, but the traffic and political BS over there were too much. We even dumped a Church or 2 over it. North Cobb, they rezoned us from Lassiter HS to Sprayberry HS (ie Very Good to CRAPPY) by moving the zone border about 100 yards. Didn't matter that every family in the neighborhood complained about it. So we put the kids in the charter school until the opportunity to move to Cherokee opened up. My youngest is in all Honors classes as a freshman and the Senior made it to State level in Architecture and drafting for both Governors Honors Program and the SkillsUSA competition last year.
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    In my high school shop class we made knives, machetes, spears(for fishing), and crossbows. The teacher had a hook up at the Olsen Knife Co in Howard City Mi, he could get rejected knife blanks. We made machetes from leaf springs. The school sold kits for the crossbows. [:D] Yeah I'm a redneck northern hillbilly.[:D][8D]
  • lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, these people will expell the kid for finger bangin' some other kid![:(]
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every boy in school carried a knife when I went. Trucks wer left unlocked with the key in the switch or on the seat. People would leave personal belongings on the dash. No one would dare touch anything. Course you had the old fashions * whippings back then.
    JW
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

The Atlanta Metropolitan Area is defined as a 28 county area.
    180px-Atlanta-metroclean.png

Only a few of those counties are at issue here.

Do you ever go over to Cherokee Rose in Griffin? I shoot clays down there once or twice a year.

From the South side, you have a dim view looking up this way.

City of ATL and Clayton yes, South Fulton, DeKalb mostly. City of Marietta getting there. North Fulton and Gwinnette have good spots and bad spots. South Cobb schools are horrible, doesn't matter what color the students are. East Cobb still has a few VERY good schools, but the traffic and political BS over there were too much. We even dumped a Church or 2 over it. North Cobb, they rezoned us from Lassiter HS to Sprayberry HS (ie Very Good to CRAPPY) by moving the zone border about 100 yards. Didn't matter that every family in the neighborhood complained about it. So we put the kids in the charter school until the opportunity to move to Cherokee opened up. My youngest is in all Honors classes as a freshman and the Senior made it to State level in Architecture and drafting for both Governors Honors Program and the SkillsUSA competition last year.

Good points. Admittedly, most of what I see is the south side .My parents and grandparents lived in East Point, which is now unfit for human habitation. We lived in Clayton for 28 years, had planned to retire there. Best schools in the state for years. My two brothers graduated from Jonesboro High, now there are NO white kids there and the teachers cannot even speak English (not talking about Hispanics). The schools lost state accreditation, somehow managed to bamboozle it back, now they teeter on the edge.

When MARTA came in and the place was turned into a crime-ridden craphole practically over night it was time to go. Managed to get down here before I had to shoot anyone.

Never been to Cherokee Rose, any shooting I do that's not in the back yard is at Griffin Gun Club.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I was driving through Atlanta yesterday.
    I was listening to am 750, this is the big clear channel radio station in Atlanta, at night can be heard in 23 states.

The lead story on the noon news "Police today shut down a suburban Atlanta school for 2 hours. School authorities found a knife in the backpack of a student. Nobody was injured. More details at 1 pm."

What in the World?
    My wife is in her 34th and LAST year teaching here in Georgia, when she see's a young kid with a knife she descreetly confiscates the knife, sends a note home to the parents seeking their input and help solving the knife problem (boys will be boys) without a lot of broo-ha-ha such as going to the office and such. Why get a 10/12 yr. old kicked out, school closed and on the local news etc. ?? Common sense goes a long way but many liberals lack this trait. [;)] NOTE: we don't live in the Metro area either [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the baby boom generation is the one who has been leading this country for the last 15-20 years and will continue for the next 20.

Ive said it before the baby boomers were the worst generation, they started divorce in this country, the idea of buying for things without paying etc and list goes on.