In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Navy's newest Destroyer

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited November 2013 in General Discussion

Comments

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3.8 billion???? That would pay everyones health care coverage for a few years!
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not as sleek as my old bass boat with a 30 horse Johnson. [:D][:D]
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The third planned Zumwalt-Class destroyer will be named the USS Lyndon B. Johnson.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ....this will be a great model for Jake to build,,,[;)][;)][^][^][^]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100% electric?

I can see it now. A 3 billion $ destroyer will render itself useless to save a 10 cent fuse by blowing first.
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    The third planned Zumwalt-Class destroyer will be named the USS Lyndon B. Johnson.

That's almost as bad as the guy in the video mispronouncing the name of the ship.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    3.8 billion???? That would pay everyones health care coverage for a few years!

Yes, but the Navy was forced to cut back their original order for 32 down to just 3. Lets see; 32 of those tubs at $3.8 billion a pop is what, $121 billion, give or take a million bucks. You have to understand that we need those ships (and many more like them) so that we can sail them around the world, hopefully getting into harms way, in order to make other countries fear us!
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured if they were to build another American destroyer, they would name it ...Dick Cheney
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

[:(]
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    100% electric?

I can see it now. A 3 billion $ destroyer will render itself useless to save a 10 cent fuse by blowing first.

Why? It has to generate tremendous electric power as the new navy guns of the 21st century are electro-magnetic, firing from open breech, at speeds over 8000 ft per second! I have personally seen the next generation gun being planned and tested at Dahlgren. Just like the debate in the US in the 1930's to build new aircraft carriers.....big floating targets not worth the dought it was said at the time.....but we really needed them at Midway! Just like those ships, these ships are spectactular and expensive......and I hope we don't need them but if we do, I for one am glad that we are building them....just wish we could afford more actually!
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI -

The longest chain of electrical extension cables measured 16,000 m (52,493.4 ft) and was comprised of 640 individual extension cables by MVV Energie AG (Germany) in Mannheim, Germany on 1 October 2006.

Source >
    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-3000/longest-chain-of-electrical-extension-cables/

[^][;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are spending all this money on expensive weapons systems to fight the boogie man, but we are being defeated from within. The boogie man has infiltrated our ranks. Why can't the rest of the country see that?
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    Something some of you guys don't know. Most Navy ships use a lot of steam. Even the diesel and gas turbine ships I served on had auxilary boilers. Steam is used for heating, cooking, laundry and making freshwatr. Some time after I left it my first ship, USS Paul F. Foster DD-964, was the first to go all electric. It had 3 2,500kw gas turbine generators on board.

Going to all electric will cut maintenance time, which means fewer men needed onboard. That will turn into less money spent on everything related to running a ship, right down to the amount of food needed for a deployment.