In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mechanic help please.....

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
'99 dodge intrepid 3.2 l v6...
Stalls when slowing down,braking,idle with brake on at stop light.

Car was bought new in '99,all maint. has been done on time.
Aprx. May to July of this year it would occasionally bog down at a stop light,but would quickly recover and be ok.
July... had car tuned up,gone through to give to my son over in spokane.
They got the car and took it home,everything great, runs great.
August..car stalls at stoplights,sometimes it dies. Tried different gas thinking alltitude change. Did fine for awhile..
Stalls more frequently and did it tonight, could not get car to restart for about a 1/2 hour. (probably flooded it)
I'm thinking along the line of the throtle positioner or the idle/air sensor. What do you think and how much $$$$ to fix ???
has not tripped the check engine light.

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked the EGR valve. If clogged or defective it causes the same symptoms. Does it run okay at freeway speeds or as long as you don't have to stop??
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Fuel pressure? I'm thinking a faulty TPS should set a code.
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    Does it have an electronic idle controller?

If so, that could be the culprit.

I must confess I don't know much about Chrysler products but on my '93 MB there is an electrical sensor that controls idle speed.

When the wires on it came unsoldered my idle dropped and was very rough.

Oh yeah, is the "Check Engine" light on?
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    How many miles?

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Have you checked the EGR valve. If clogged or defective it causes the same symptoms. Does it run okay at freeway speeds or as long as you don't have to stop??

yes, highway,great. City, great as long as you don't have to stop.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Try cycling your key fairly fast 3 times, with out starting, ending with the key in the on position. Wait and watch check engine light for flashes. If no codes are present your check engine light should flash 5 times, with a pause, then five more times. Giving you a code of 55.

Of course it's been over 10 years since I was a wrench also, so code 55 might not be the one your after.
  • _bruno__bruno_ Member Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert by any means, but it sounds similar to the problems I had with a bad crankshaft position sensor. Google the symptoms of this problem and see if they compare. The not starting for 1/2 an hour really has me leaning towards this. Does it seem like it starts up quick and hard then die immediately while trying to start it? My car used to die all the time and I'd have to sit on the side of the road for sometimes up to two hours until it would start right again.

I never ended up getting it fix. It was only tempermental on what seemed like hot days, or if I started and stopped it like three times within an hour. Let us know what you find out.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:montanajoe

USA
    2471 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 : 10:47:08 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote

quote:Originally posted by armilite1015

yes, highway,great. City, great as long as you don't have to stop.

Had a Ford that used to do this as long as the car was at speed it was fine. As soon as you'd slow down or stop, the engine would start to run rough and then die. Turned out to be the EGR valve. Don't know if they still have these but it would be on the back of the intake manifold with a vacuum hose running out of it. They have a tendency to get carboned up causing a similar condition to what you have. I don't know if this would show up as a code but it wouldn't hurt to check out.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The EGR valve is electronic and should set a code if sticking.
    I would check the MAP sensor close. It won't set a code at times.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Ever changed the fuel filter?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Brake is Vacuum assist right how about a vacuum leak. Also how do the brakes feel.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Brake is Vacuum assist right how about a vacuum leak. Also how do the brakes feel.
    Brakes were re-done before he got it too. But will add check vacum lines for obvious things for him to check. It really pisses me that I'm here in Bozeman and he and the car are in spokane. My boy isn't very good with working on cars. Gettin better tho. I know I could fix it I were there,but that isn't possible. Just dam it.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    '99 dodge intrepid 3.2 l v6...
    Thats your problem right there, its a dodge.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mass air flow sensor.
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    I second a check on the crankshaft position sensor.

I've heard of problems on Jeeps with them too.

If they fail the engine won't run right or at all.

On the Jeep it was pretty easy to check/change.
  • williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

I'd agree, look closely at the power brake booster, . Sure sounds like a vacuum problem when the brakes are applied.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i'm thinking egr valve or a plugged catylitic converter...cheap fix...egr valve can be removed and cleaned of all the carbon...good brake cleaner will work...the converter...drop the tailpipe and drive a rod right through the crap in it...if their plugged the exhast gas can't get out...does the car smell like rotten eggs?

check out fuel filter too...but i doubt this is the problem if it runs at high speed
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    Mass air flow sensor.

Bingo
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I'm With HPD On this One[^]
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Fuel pressure? I'm thinking a faulty TPS should set a code.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking alternator or battery.
  • GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    My first thought was idle air control solenoid also.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save yourself some time and money. When it happens get the code/s and go from there. It could be anything from a clogged converter to a cam or crank position sensor and anything in between.

Everyone I know that runs out and buys a Dodge Intrepid don't keep them every long. To many headaches and wasted money trying to keep the things running.