In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No day at the beach Mon-Tues. (pic added)

penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
For my son Caleb 4 1/2, and wife.

Caleb is going in noon Mon. for a 24 hour EEG.

It is suspected that he may be having seizures.

From time to time we have noticed that he will just stare out into space for a bit, and be non responsive. His pre-school teacher has also noticed this.

We have no idea if this is anything serious or not. But were not going to take any chances, and just go do it.

He has been in for a short EEG but Doc says it's just not enough time to find anything serious, and needs to keep him over night.

I'm going to continue on with work, and keep my phone on, since results most likely won't be instant.

Comments

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best of luck to you guys.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck I hope they find a simple reason for this.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope everything turns out okay and any issues that might be found can be easily corrected!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Hope everything turns out okay and any issues that might be found can be easily corrected!
    + 1000
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Sure hope your son gets better.

Always get a few opinions about stuff like this, don't just toss pills or surgery at your son.

Try checking food sources, stimuli and exercise. The hippie naturalist way could give you some insight as well.

Sometimes kids like to stare. Nobody is normal. Maybe he is dreaming about shooting guns with dad instead of being caged up like an animal in an industrial setting.

I had an EEG when i was little. I remember how mentally traumatic it was. Felt like I was a retard. They couldn't figure out why I couldn't sit still. Basically, I'm scandinavian and have been bred to run not sit. They gave me pills, damn near shot myself and I quit doing the drugs. So, you can see I'm jaded against the system. All I needed was a change in diet and something to do outside a few times a day. Like a dog I guess.

Best of luck to you and your son. There is no such thing as normal. We know more about the ocean floor than we do the human mind.

God bless you and yours.

Nick
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blessings sent for the little man
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Been there done that. Feel for ya man. My youngest seizures started when he was 3 days old. Been through many eeg's with him. He's now 3( turns 4 next month). Med's keep his under control for the most part but we still notice every now and then the stairing off into space. If you have any questions or want to know more about what to expect message me.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers and blessings for your family.
    Good luck!
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best to you and yours!
  • Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
    edited November -1
    Hope and prays for you and your family.
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Luck and prayers for Caleb. Keep us posted on the outcome of the tests. Gary
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keeping a good thought for you.

There is nothing scarier than anything involving a child.
  • Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    Prayers for him and all of you.

You all will be in my thoughts & prayers.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Prayers for the little one.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Hope your little man is OK.

+1 on what storm said about food sources. Most medical doctors ignore food issues and that leaves it up to us to figure that stuff out.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys for the replies. He is in now hooked up to the monitors. Going down this road is another new one for us.

storm, thanks for the input on the food. We may have to look into that.

hk, sorry to hear about your son. I may take you up on that offer if there is anything found.

gjshaw, will do buddy. I'll let everyone know.

The wife said she was talking to his speech therapists, and she said she had another little boy that went in for a 24 hour EEG, the same as my son is doing now. Nothing was found at the time, so they released them. I guess they were leaving, and went out into the parking lot, where this little boy had what is called a grand mall seizure? His mom called 911 right there in the hospital parking lot.

So, if nothing happens over this next 24 hours, it doesn't mean were out of the woods on this one apparently.

Thanks, again for the concern fellow members. Anyone that has paid attention to my posts knows, he already has many other health issues.

I'll give an update later this evening.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent for the little fellow
    edited November -1
    tn.jpg

Wife just sent me a picture text, so I e-mailed it to myself, uploaded it on photo bucket, and posted it here.

Sorry, I still have no clue how to enlarge.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers asked for the little fellow.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish you and yours ALL THE BEST, my thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and especally Caleb in this time. May God and the doctors get him squared away. God Bless. Jeff
    edited November -1
    Testing is approaching half way. So far, so good.

However, I think it's best, if he does have seizures, that it happens while being monitored. That way we could do something to treat it.

Of course best case scenario, is that he doesn't have them at all, and just likes to stare. I hope this is all it is.

More updates to come.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope everything turns out okay prayers sent from S.E. WI.
  • blackhawk45blackhawk45 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless your son,prayers sent,and hope he is Ok.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    A fine looking lil man. God bless. Prayers,best thoughts sent.
    edited November -1
    Are son was in for his 10th EEG ( 2nd 24 hr ) and all was showing clear when the nurse came in and noticed him stairing off. She drew blood right away. ( We didnt know about the stairing seizurs at that time). When they got the results back from the blood work they said he had a seizure at that time and the EEG didnt show anything.

That was also a new one on us, Didnt know they could have a seizure with out it showing up on a eeg but some how they could tell from blood work. Thats when we had the joy of the 48 hr EEG. All the ones we were at one of the parents or grand parents had to be with are son at all times and stay awake at all times. Wasnt fun, Hope everything turns out ok for your son.
    edited November -1
    Forgot to add. Baby shampoo it what worked best for getting the electrode glue out of the hair. That and they say those markers are dry erase but you'll still see marks for acouple days. Doest all come off like they claim.
  • barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    Prayers said for the little fellow and still hoping for the best out come. And he's at least got a big smile on.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    Forgot to add. Baby shampoo it what worked best for getting the electrode glue out of the hair. That and they say those markers are dry erase but you'll still see marks for acouple days. Doest all come off like they claim.

Thanks for the tip. I'll tell the wife that, as I'm sure she will be the one having to clean it up, I've got to work soon and it's not looking pretty. Good thing wifes the boss.[:D]

I think I'm going to try turning in now.
    edited November -1
    How did the tests turn out?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    How did the tests turn out?

Caleb is home now, they made it home yesterday. We won't know what the results are until the neurologists looks at the readings. Hopefully know something by the end of week.

I'm a bit concerned though, wife said there was a couple of times when the monitors were not acting normal. She spent almost every moment with him of course, and at one time she noticed his eyes rolling into the back of his head when the monitors acted up. We have never caught him rolling his eyes before.

Lets hope for the best.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the update and I will keep him in my prayers.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    poor lil fella, hope he gets through it just fine
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I knew a girl who had that happen to her, about the same age. Grew out of it and was fine.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a cute little trooper you have there! I am sure you guys will get through all of this and it will be fine. You are active parents and finding answers is the start to a wonderful future for your little man.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless the little guy. Prayers for your family.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers said for Caleb, you, and your family and guidance for the doctors in identifying and correcting any problems!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Hansom little man. Prayers sent for him and you family.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our prayers will be with your son and family. He will be just fine[;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot everyone for the support, prayers, and responses.

We were hoping to hear from the hospital by now. But at this time, we still have no further information on the test results.

I got to admit, as a parent, this really stinks being in suspense. Sometimes you do everything you can do for your children, and just feel totally helpless.

Obviously, we want the best for Caleb, and hope he is not having to deal with these seizures. But if he is, we really want to get the ball rolling on this one, and get the help, meds, or natural remedies he needs. I prefer natural, but it doesn't always work for everyone.

Hopefully since we haven't heard anything yet, there is nothing going on. But were not getting any hopes up yet, until we talk to the Dr.

Thanks again, and I'll update as we find something out. Could be a message on the answering machine when I get home in half an hour or so, for all I know. We shall find out.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers sent for your family.