In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unusual deadly accident locally Sunday.

41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
While snowmobiling a 51 year man hit about a 600 lb bull moose and was killed. Apparently the sled rode under the moose's belly as the moose was killed also and his belly sliced open. Only damage to the sled was a broken windshield. I believe this is the first moose snowmobile accident in Maine. If not the first it was the first time a person on a sled was killed by a moose. Moose have been known to attack and chase snowmobilers. Accident happened about 6 to 8 miles from where I live.

Comments

• coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I'll give ya $50 for the snowmobile. Really, thats quite a way to go.
  • glock4Oglock4O Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    man, thats a sorry way to encounter a moose!
  • Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only been to Maine one time (Bangor) and I was nervous as heck about hitting one. I would think that nothing good could come from hitting a moose with any type of vehicle.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My buddy almost hit a moose doing about 100 mph on a sled one night...stuff happens.
  • glock4Oglock4O Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats a good thing he didnt hit it[;)]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uncle was killed when he hit a stump on a snowmobile in Michigan. Alcohol might have also contributed.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Killed My back Riding the Dang Things For 30 Years
    Wish I never Saw A Snowmobile.
    What You Do Early in Life Will Haunt you big time Later...
    Kids Don't beleive Me They Will After I'm Dead and Gone.....
    See My Auction At http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214312146
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first time I ever saw a Moose in person was in northeastern Canada on a long dirt road to a fishing spot miles from nowhere. We almost hit him as he walked out onto the road. I had no idea that Moose were that big and I guess that sitting in a Volkswagen Rabbit on a one lane dirt road wasn't the best perspective either. Those damned things look like Clydesdale horses. He just stood there looking down at us for two or three minutes like we were ants, then he snorted and casually walked off into the woods. Had to check my shorts.[:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had one just north of here...7 year old boy opening gate & runs back to tractor..grandad didn't see him... hate it when bad things happen to kids
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    had one just north of here...7 year old boy opening gate & runs back to tractor..grandad didn't see him... hate it when bad things happen to kids

Happens more often than I like to think about. I've seen several kids in the ER that where injured trying to run to dad on a tractor, lawn mower etc. and have heard about many more. A lot more of these than firearms accidents.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A young relative of my first wife hit a fence at a high rate of speed. Never a good thing to bury a good kid in his 20's.[V]
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Have had similar accidents in NW Wyoming. Moose and buffalo both don't like to give ground, and snowsleds and motorcycles are occasionally driven by folks who aren't always watching the road. Lose a couple a year.

Not a great way to go, but I suppose it's quick.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Had a moose lower his head like he was going to charge me during hunting season one year. Unfortunately I wasn't hunting moose! Dang thing had me pretty concerned. I certainly didn't want to shoot it to protect myself. I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time convincing anyone that was why I shot it.

Thankfully, it decided I wasn't worth the effort and it trotted off... only for me to encounter him on the skid road one more time!

Dang, I need to apply for a moose tag!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Had a guy I knew lose his head to a barbwire fence up in WY as a kid.

He was never the same after that![:D]

Seriously though, his buddy almost hit the same fence because the guy didn't even slow down. Said he thought something knocked his buddy's helmet off, but then saw the top of a post and bailed off his sled before hitting the fence. The headless sledman continued on for quite a ways I guess before tipping over.

Glad I wasn't there to witness it!!

FCD
    Yeah, your posting reminded me of a situation in the semi-rural burbs if Anchorage years ago.

While driving a road in the "Foothill" area I noticed this guy stringing wire out front of his place. He was bitching about the "gd punks, twits, and AH" running three wheelers and quads all summer and snomobiles all winter off pavement along side of the road in front of his place.

Remember offering him the opinion that it was right of way for the road, etc. He was probably in the wrong legally and definitely ethically and he would end up killing or maiming someone at the least. I shared the fact that he could be bought-up on homicide charges.

He was rather verbally and physically intimedating and even more opinionated than I. He shared that he didn't give a rat's * for those g-damned punks, etc. and didn't care if he found the whole bunch of them stacked like cord wood in front of his place in the AM.

What had first caught my attention was the fact that he was in a rather heated confrontation with a woman. His wife was attempting to stand her ground against him, attempting to reason with him arguing with him in like manner to me ... didn't make me feel any more comfortable about things in general or the situation in particular.

I had suggested that he might want to consider what he might think and feel about anyone endangering one of his kids in like manner. His response was that he'd kill his kid if they drove around like that! I believed him ...

He also said that he'd kill anyone that harmed his kids. Seemed that was his answer for any and all things ... "kill em".

Well, he got what he intended ... a young boy came by shortly afterwards ... decapitated him.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we were in junior high a bunch of were out rabbit mashing on our sleds. One of the prettiest girls(also one of the best snowmobile riders) in our school got a little too close to barbwire fence, caught a post and tangled her and the sled in the fence. Snow suit protected her body, but she ended up with a 10" scar from her temple down the side of her face and neck.

Tragedy happens in an instant at high speed.
  • plink_FOIDplink_FOID Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was camping one time with about 3 of my drunken friends. We were fishing and boaters were tearing around the area aggravating us to no end.
    One of my freinds had a new fishing pole that could cast like crazy. I tried it and snagged the line on an exposed tree root all the way across the river.
    We decided it would be a good trap for the disrespectful boaters. So we stretched it out and tied it off to stump on our side of the river.

Well luckily, the first boat to hit it stretched the line out so much that there was an audible whine and then a snap when the line popped. You could hear it over the engine noise.
    We got some dirty looks and the fun was over.

The next boat to come by had a teenage girl sitting on the bow of a john boat with her legs dangling in the water. Man if that fishing line had been there it would have cut her legs off at the knees.
    We sobered up pretty quick.
  • plink_FOIDplink_FOID Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a gal I went to school with (Gail 11 y/o) that I can't help but think of from time to time.
    There was a farmer named John who collected guns(bought up my brother's mainly cap and ball collection) and who I walked beans for.

Well, one day Ron's wife and his infant child decided to drive to town. She dropped in on Gail's mom who went along, along with Gail and little sister Susan(5).
    On the way home they somehow veered into a concrete bridge covering a culvert. Ron's wife, the infant, Gail, and Gail's mother were killed instantly. Little Susan survived but had had so many * bones broken that she never looked or acted quite right again.
    So Ron lost his whole family.
    Gail's dad minus his wife and Gail had only Susan and a twelve year old son(Mark) remaining.
    In less than 6 months Mark was dead due to a tractor turning over on him while mowing ditches.

I don't know what happened to Gail's dad eventually, but his life just had to have been as close to hell as it gets here on earth.
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tragic loss. A good friend of mine and his wife drowned March of 2 years ago in Moosehead Lake in Maine after their sleds broke through the ice.[:(]