In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is there a place for legal information

hxm1982hxm1982 Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
Hello,

Is there a place I can go to for legal info on firearms regarding federal laws. Is there a law firm or something that I can call if I have any questions?

Thanks

hxm

Comments

• COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being an attorney who specializes in "firearms" is a VERY small niche' in the industry.

Finding someone who is a litigator for firearms (spelled criminal charges) is a whole lot easier, but they focus on the criminal statutes.

The NRA (a favorite of Fox's) holds a firm on retainer but you have to search for them.

You may want to try "Pre-Paid Legal" if you want to spent little to no cash.

Last but not least, you could try the yellow pages and pay an attorney for their advice on it.

COB
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You can get a lot of info regarding federal law from http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also look up 18 USC Section 922, covers a lot. For full auto, sbrs, Destructive Devices, suppressors, google National Firearms Act.

Or for a simple question, ask here. You will probably get 5 different opinions for free.[:p]
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez

Ask here.

CP
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know several folks who insisted on asking a lawyer for firearms advice, &, in all cases, the lawyer simply phoned the local ATF office & asked an agent the questions. You can do that yourself, a lot cheaper.

You're more likely to get more accurate information if you look it up in the book:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Read it online, or request a hard copy from the US Govt Printing Office. If you get a C&R, it's mailed to you for free.

Neal
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Or for a simple question, ask here. You will probably get 5 different opinions for free.[:p]

and if you get lucky, one of em might be correct.,..
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    The crew here is much more enthusiastic on what gun laws SHOULD be and less forthcoming on what they actually are...[;)]
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    google.com

when it come to your health, safety, or freedom, i never like to trust anybody elses research. i think sites like packing.org(now defunct), usacarry.com et al are good starting points, but always always do your own research and confirm your findings with the appropriate authorities(i.e. the people who are going to charge/prosecute you for the violation if one is made). free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

almost without exception, every time ive taken someones word for something important or complicated, ive regretted it either in the sense that something actually went wrong or something could have gone wrong but was narrowly avoided. im a big proponent of putting your own time in to things that are really important. trusting someone else is dangerous.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and ExplosivesJan 31, 2011 ... Dept. of Justice, BATF site. An important resource for legal information about making firearms without violating federal laws.
    www.atf.gov/ - Cached - Similar
    Careers
    Firearms
    Firearms Forms
    Contact ATF Career Opportunities
    Laws
    Alcohol & Tobacco
    Field Divisions