In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

It's 83 inside the house. AC can't keep up.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Set at 78, it's so hot the AC is overwhelmed and temp is creeping up. Not intended for record-setting 110 degree heat. At 100 the house starts getting warmer. So do I. Triple digits supposed to be rare in Central Arkansas but getting more common it seems.

Wonder how many days of this I take before I say screw it and drop 4 grand on a bigger AC? I'm about there, now.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Hey doc, we had a cold front come through. It didn't get to 100 today around here.[:0]
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    block any sun coming through the windows with foil....heck no one will care...your in arkansas....it will drive away heat waves[:0][8D]
  • GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cold front here. Only got to 106 so far. Thought I had heard it was supposed to make 116. I guess it is one of those things if you think it is going to be really really bad it isn't that bad when it is only really bad.
    edited November -1
    ya might wanna check your filter and a coil ....filter may be dirty or a coil freezing up...just a thought[;)]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Mist the Sun Side of the House! Roof Too!

Water the Lawn in Front of the Condenser Intakes, but Keep actual water from impinging on the Unit.
  • HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yur coilz is probly frosen yo'
  • Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    It could be worse....half of WV is without any electric at all! Its hotter than the [}:)]
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our AC has been running constantly. 15yo and I keep praying it'll keep going. Setting at 78? and holding. Nothing but 100? plus for the next week. Lord help us----we need rain.

Untitled.jpg
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yo'

All the kool kidz are sayin it, get with the times brah

gunonyogun.jpg[/URL]
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    word to the wise. If your AC runs over 12 hrs. you might want to run fan only for 45 mins or so.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    look at the outside unit, spray it good with a garden hose and make sure it is clean of debris, if it is located in the sun you can make a lean-to shade for it, just keep good distance so airflow can get to it, direct heat is its worst enemy

we ran a generator one hot summer, ac couldn't keep up, was pulling something like 17 amps, made a trickle sprayer to run water down the coils dropped it to 9 amps, and cooled very well
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    ya might wanna check your filter and a coil ....filter may be dirty or a coil freezing up...just a thought[;)]

You may also want to shut off the air and pull the outside fuseblock and then remove the top fan and flush the coils out from the inside out. Reassemble and go.Unless you are really undersized the unit should be able to keep up with the demand. Maybe your also low on freon so check the head pressures.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john w

You may also want to shut off the air and pull the outside fuseblock and then remove the top fan and flush the coils out from the inside out. Reassemble and go.Unless you are really undersized the unit should be able to keep up with the demand. Maybe your also low on freon so check the head pressures.

oh man, lets not go there with frank [:D]

yes that would be the idea way of cleaning it vs my suggestion, mine was just easier for the moment
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless it is icing up the coils the unit is fine on freon. Close off a vent in a room and shut the door to lower the square footage. I can't believe our heat pump is cycling in 110 degree weather. It runs for 25 min. shuts off 15 and comes back on.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Originally posted by john w

oh man, lets not go there with frank [:D]

yes that would be the idea way of cleaning it vs my suggestion, mine was just easier for the moment

heck ...he's been to collage[:o)]
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Set at 78, it's so hot the AC is overwhelmed and temp is creeping up. Not intended for record-setting 110 degree heat. At 100 the house starts getting warmer. So do I. Triple digits supposed to be rare in Central Arkansas but getting more common it seems.

Wonder how many days of this I take before I say screw it and drop 4 grand on a bigger AC? I'm about there, now.

At least you don't have to go to the gym to sweat off the pounds. Just do it in your living room.
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry you're having issues. I've heard it a lot in my previous job.

A bigger AC condenser requires a bigger coil on the furnace or a bigger fan-coil.
    If there is a coil on the furnace, the furnace has to be rated for the higher airflow.

When you upsize, the supply trunk line and associated distribution lines have to be rated for the higher air flow.
    And the return grille, return trunk, etc, have to be rated for the increased air velocity.

Sometimes a new condenser with an upgrade of existing duct is all you need. Make the system "breathe" better.

Better house insulation will go a long way. So will an attic fan.

Supply = 400 CFM per ton [the industry standard]. The air has to have somewhere to go [enough duct].
    Manufacturers recommend 125% return air be available to the fan-coil.

2.5 ton = 1000CFM supply, 1250 return.
    3 ton pushes 1200 CFM. Manufacturers want to see 1500CFM available on the return.

Throwing a bigger unit on the home might help, but might also lead to premature failure of the equipment
    and a kind of "clammy" air, as the air gets cold but does not effectively dehumidify.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had that problem with my first house many years back. Talked to AC guy and he recomended a power attic vent. That fixed the problem. Got enought hot air out of the attic that the existing unit was able to handle it.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trade ya !
    under 100 here (barely)
    bit humid tho
    and NO AIR
    and spent most of thu and Fri stripping old decal glue standing in full sun all day[:(]
  • ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We keep ours on 73 and it cycled on for 15 minutes then off for 30 minutes when it was 106 here yesterday. My buddies laughed at me when I insulated the walls with spray on cellulose saying it wouldn't work when we built it 4 years ago. Guess who is smiling now. [:D]
  • sammashsammash Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get up in the morning and put mine on 68 and it will keep it in the mid 70's all day. I'll pay for it though.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem. Its 100-103 here the past few days, the temp has been 80 when set at 75.

But I know what my problem is............
    My wife called me at work one day and said " I was just cleaning it, the metal part was getting shinny then I saw the pressure washer was smashing them not cleaning" [:0]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like your AC system is 'marginally' sized.

I doubt it is freezing up, as it would be higher than 83 if that was the case. I also assume you are smart enough to keep your filters clean,.....etc.

Details needed would be square feet under air, and size of current system to say for sure.

Being as you generally just start a thread, and then never make any further comments, I doubt we will find these pertinent facts out.[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to get a cold six pack and fill the tub with cold water for a nice soak.

Or spend some time in the cooler of the grociery store looking for the coldest 12 pack way in the back of the walk in.