In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Caught them just munching away near the trail back in the woods last summer. The quiet electric ATV doesnt frighten them much.

aug1107.jpg[img][/img]

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    There is about 25 deer in my back yard right now. Good bye blue berrie bushes![:(]
    edited November -1
    Deer opener today, rifle season. Daughter got a nice four point this morning in MN. She was only on her stand about twenty minutes. She has a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm mag, dropped with one shot.
    edited November -1
    I have just seen on the news that Valley forge is getting over run with deer and an animal rights group has suggested that cyotes be introduced insted of hunting them.Are these do gooder comletely stupid,I would say yes.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    My oldest son Kenneth wants some deer meat so i went out to my back forty bout 6:30 this am and shot him a nice doe,was back home in 45 min,seen more deer this year then in the past 50 years i believe.Think it must be the drought we are in in the south east.Any way my question is can you sent frozen meat to another state or does my lady friend and myself need to plan a trip?This would be going to North Carolina.Just for those that want to know shot was from my Redhalk .44 at mabee 20 yards.Not to bad for old goat!Thanks,Paul
    edited November -1
    How late in the year do they have their fawns. Heading out this morning and look over in heavy cover and there is my Normal Doe. But at her feet is a little one so small when It jumped up it fell right back down.

When I got back home they are gone.[:(] Wanted to try and get a photo.
    edited November -1
    Going to try a new tactic to keep them from my Roses. Plant so much they get full 1st think that will work.
    edited November -1
    Took another deer today after sitting in my back 40 for 4 hours of 28 deg. windy day,[fun aint it]Gonna try my hand at some jerky.Supposed to stay off the salt but i gotta do something to keep Dr. yellin at me!,Paul
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Depending on location between May to end of June normally. She just made the season. Probably December or January breeding is a guess.
    edited November -1
    Was at the Baber shop earlier this week and they all were talking about their fawn at their place and I was feeling left out.

Mine normally has twins and brings them by to show them off to me.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    not sure if it is still the same one, but there is a doe that fawns behind our barn every year for at least the last 10 years. Most years she has twins
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It used to be right around Memorial Day but the last few years, there have been multiple rut cycles beginning earlier and ending as late as midJanuary.
    This year, I've seen fawns within the last week from less than a week old to old enough to be losing their spots. Saw one just across the road from the house and had the Grouch Attack verify that it was a fawn barely showing spots. Both of us checked it out from about 250 yards with 10x50 binos. That one must have been born in early May.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch out for coyotes with fawns around, handle them as you deem necassary.
    edited November -1
    No Coyotes in my area. But did see a Red Fox almost as large as one just yesterday. But it was a couple of miles from my place.

At the Baber shop I mentioned they were talking about Bear and Cougars that are now in the area and really hurting the deer population. Guess even the bears are taking the fawns.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Get outta the Baber shop and shoote as many coyotes as necasary to save this years' fawns![B)]
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This thread got me to thinking of forum member joeaf1911a1.

He lived in New Jersey and he had mother deer and spotted fawns that would come up to his house. He fed them and he often posted pics of his menagerie of deer.

Joe was a very interesting forum member and a WW2 combat veteran.

Three years ago he suddenly stopped posting and has not been heard from since, I fear the worst.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Get outta the Baber shop and shoote as many coyotes as necasary to save this years' fawns![B)]

Must not have read there are no Coyotes in the area. Just bears and cats.
  • NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    They will have them about anytime in may or june. Around here we have the rut that runs in the begining to middle of november and then again we have one in december. That one will get the does that cycle for a second time. So that is the reason we have late fawns. She most likely just had the fawn, or he lost his balance while trying to nurse.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NEIAPredator
    They will have them about anytime in may or june. Around here we have the rut that runs in the begining to middle of november and then again we have one in december. That one will get the does that cycle for a second time. So that is the reason we have late fawns. She most likely just had the fawn, or he lost his balance while trying to nurse.

No not trying to nurse, He even looked a little Wet Like he had just poped out.