In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm disappointed in myself and my temper

LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
I was almost provoked into ridding the planet of an aggressive panhandler.

I took my wife and two of my teenage daughters over to Portland Or. For something called "Saturday market" We took Portland's mass transit light rail system instead of driving to save the hassle of parking.

While awaiting a train to return us, my daughter was approached by the scummiest piece of crap I have seen in a long while demanding money or her can of soda. The guy was about 5' 3" all of about 120 pounds wearing filthy pants, no shirt, a trench coat and some type of Rastafarian beanie and was smelling of urine and booze.

My daughter panicked and I told him to move along, he ignored me and continued to ask for her can of soda and called my wife evil for raising such selfish brats. I then placed myself between him and my family and was pissed. I didn't want him near us.

He momentarily left to dance while some street musician pounded on some 5 gallon plastic buckets. There were plenty of other people there and they thought his dancing was amusing.

He stopped dancing and made a beeline directly at my daughter again shouting he was thirsty. I then stopped him approaching by physically pushing him out of the way. He screamed "Touch me again and that's assault" while trying to crowd me without actually touching me. My wife in the mean time was calling 911 and told him so. The train approached at that moment and he just turned around and left.

My adrenalin was pumping and I was ready to physically alter him.

The reason I backed off was his mention of assault and It immediately clicked that this guy was attempting to get me to harm him.

After it was over I reflected on the events and the guy did everything he could to provoke me without physically touching me or my family.

He purposely antagonized my family, he tried to draw as much attention to himself and the situation with the crowd waiting for the train and then found my buttons and pushed them over and over.

I'm disappointed in myself for being led so easily. I am usually calm and consider myself rational and level headed but I was ready to destroy this idiot, I'm glad I pulled back and it ended without me being arrested for beating up a homeless piece of crap and then getting sued by the same.

My daughters mentioned that there was another unsavory character filming the whole thing with a camera phone that's part of the reason I think I was being set up, my daughters said he was filming before the escalations of events.

I think I'll stay home in the country from now on.[V]

Comments

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it would have gone like they expected.....you don't have to wait on someone to actually HARM you in order to protect yourself. I'm relatively sure the video would have proven useful against them. (I am reminded of "Amberlamps" on the public bus.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Portland is without doubt one of the most looney tune places you can visit in the US. Glad everything worked out OK and you didn't have to show him how to do the 'hippie stomp' dance!
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Preview of Coming Attractions in anyCity USA, for anyone who braves the madding Crowd.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    obama supporters at best and you did good
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    sorry...but i'd have fed him the can of soda right between his eyes[V]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Your daughter was terrorized and you have ever right to defend her.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    sorry...but i'd have fed him the can of soda right between his eyes[V]
    And I know I would have found satisfaction doing the same.

It was strange how quickly it ended, which was for the best.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Better man than me. I have a short temper in cases like this.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    You did way better than me.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since he was in the process of a robbery; "taking property from another by force or fear", IMO you were within your rights to knock his * out.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you didnt stoop to his level . Well done
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you handled it better than I would have[V]
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    He screamed "Touch me again and that's assault" In a case like that I'd be in trouble big time, I'd grab a handful of nuts and squeezed until he passed out then gently lay his * on the ground, protecting ones family can give a man purpose and pleasure [;)] Note: all men are'nt laid back and I'm one thats not [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You handled it perfectly. Family is safe. Scumbag is still breathing and there are no charges pending against you. Good Job!
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A shot of pepper spray to the face of the scumbag would have solved the problem quickly and efficiently! (Is pepper spray legal in Oregon?)
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had two similar situations happen to me in downtown Seattle. Thankfully it didn't escalate to anything more than words.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I live 55 miles away from Portland, on the north side of the creek.
    I don't go there unless I have to, mostly just to the V.A. Them people just ain't right, gay mayor and all.[xx(]
    W.D.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy with the video must've been getting ready to post it on youtube as "Random Bum Fights" [:D].

For next time pack a thing of pepper spray. When dudes roll up on your kid give the kid the spray and let her rip. Cops come let the kid freak out to the cop and go home.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have been tempted to take him to the nearest liquor store and get him a bottle of 151 proof rum, and offer him the advice of Don't drink it all at once... [:p]
  • mystrymanmystryman Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobody and I mean NOBODY would ever get the chance to make either of my daughters feel threatened. I would have been charged with assult. Much worse, since I always carry a knife, I would have been charged with attemp murder. Yes.....I know I have anger issues. [:D]
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Time to send your daughters to Judo classes. It is a good workout, will help keep them limber and really is the most bang for the pound, for most of the marshal arts. Leverage is your friend.

I've got one daughter who is a motor mouth who packs a 9MM and another that is just genetically strong and thinks like a Hockey player.

I'm pretty proud of raising strong independent girls. SHTF and I won't have to worry about them holding up their end.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Smile your biggest smile, offer him your hand, and ask him if he knows Jesus. If you get ahold of his hand, grasp it FIRMLY. Don't let go, until you're sure he understands the way to salvation. You may have to lead him around the corner for more "Persuasion".
    Get my drift?
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a counter statement by you to the punk to the effect that you believe he is becoming a danger to your family and you will surly act in a heart beat to protect them with any force needed would have put him on notice he was not going to get away with anything more.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see nothing for you to be ashamed/disappointed in or otherwise, kudos for protecting your family. Ida Done, has many playouts, but his second advancement towards your daughter would have been the money shot. Some of those people are real scumbags, I think you did what needed to be done and probably with more patience than some would have.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did the right thing. I dont have your patience and would have hit the guy. I have a very short fuse when it comes to my family.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    You did the right thing. I dont have your patience and would have hit the guy. I have a very short fuse when it comes to my family.

I have to agree, even though I can be very short tempered.
    Chances are good that Dan would not have been charged with assault, but odds are very high the guy would have filed a civil suit against him.

Considering where it is, I would think the 'bum' would have a lot of sympathy on his side.[xx(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Protect your family. Next time don't let scum get that close.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:sorry...but i'd have fed him the can of soda right between his eyes

wasn't soda, but last time we were in NYC, a derelict accosted my wife as we were leaving a starbucks. demanded her chocolate mocha latte with extra whipped cream[:p]
    the mrs is easily intimidated in big cities and immediately got behind me.
    i offered the bum my coffee instead and he agreed.
    12 ounces of starbucks finest expresso, black, to the face had him screaming and rolling around on the side walk.
    no one even looked twice.
    sometimes ya gotta love NYC!!

tom
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    We've taken a vote, and have agreed that you don't need to change your screen name.

You did well. I hope the police were provided with a description. This was a shakedown/scam in progress.

This is why I stay out of large cities. All of them.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I don't think it would have gone like they expected.....you don't have to wait on someone to actually HARM you in order to protect yourself. I'm relatively sure the video would have proven useful against them. (I am reminded of "Amberlamps" on the public bus.)
    This is a common mistake. Oregon is extremely liberal (particularly Portland), and more than likely Dan would have had his * handed to him by the courts. On top of assault, there's a good chance he'd have been fined for not aiding the destitute.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    One of the biggest problem with our mental health care system, is the needs of people like this . chances are he was mentally ill it goes with homeless hand in hand no one wants/ can help them. they end up on the streets waiting for a psychotic episode to happen hurting themselves or others.

our laws are written to give them the freedom until they do harm to themselves or others, often getting thrown in jail and away from the meds they need, instead of a mental health care facility

there is a big gaping hole in that system that gets a lot of people hurt and or killed before help can be mandated