In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need a new laptop

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Anyone have one they could recomend? I'm looking for something in the $700-$900 area.

I've looked in 3-4 places know for computer sales but I don't know what's a good brand/ model anymore.

Need something w/ 17.3" screen or larger, webcam/microphone , need 4 USB(2.0 or 3.0), card reader,

I was looking at some with 6-8GB of Memory & 750GB-1TB HDD.

Thanks.

Comments

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At that price range you have a lot to choose from. I have been buying H-P for the last 5 years but also have one Gateway & Dell. All have served me & my friends well. I would rate the Dell last on my list of the three.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Will have to be a 64 bit to use that much RAM, and I strongly recommend the Dell Precision (Mobile Workstation) series. You can pick up a used M6400 or an M4400 fairly cheaply. The M series are the workstations. The E and I series are the standard laptops.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toshiba Satellite. Have had three so far. One survived Afghanistan. Won't buy any other ....
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    Toshiba Satellite. Have had three so far. One survived Afghanistan. Won't buy any other ....

I saw those Satellite models. Whats with them? Do they have sat. internet or is it just a name?
  • enforcinatorenforcinator Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local Best Buy, they will have all the brands out where you can look at them, touch them, compare features and listen to good advice, but don't purchase until you've had a chance to also peruse their website. They routinely have sale items not available at all stores.

You may be able to have one customized to your liking and then have it sent to your local BB for pick-up.

Models with 17" screens in the $450 - $950 range include Toshiba, Asus, Samsung, Acer and HP.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141

+1
  • djtdjt Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sony vaio or toshiba are the two best out there.
    hp is in finacial trouble. gateway is hit and miss, usually a miss.
    dell is dell, which means ill never own another dell in my life.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tigerdirect .com
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sony Vaio
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a work group of about thirty folks who are primarily using the Dell Latitude E6420. Probably twenty of the group have this laptop. We have had no problems and I personally am very pleased. I think they come with 4 gig, but you can add at least 8 gig on these which is what we have done.
    We have to VPN into the clients database & server to access their records. The laptop is able to keep up with all the necessary functions required. If the laptop you are suggesting is for personal use, the 4 gig system would probably be more that adequate for your needs.
    Oh, it also has a built in camera and of course has an optional docking station which can have at least two monitors hooked up to it. Probably no necessary for the personal laptop, but a good option.

EDIT:
    Below is a link for this product:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200544

Aaron
  • ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Toshiba Satellite has been going strong for 4 years now. It has bounced around in my truck, airplanes, boats, etc... I pack it daily from work and back. My wife and daughter both use Toshiba as well. I even have a spare new one in the box in my closet incase one ever takes a dump.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Newegg!
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought the wife a refurbished HP (17" screen, card reader, etc.) at Walmart (online) for less than $400.
    0M9InwN.gif[