In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Huge jump in premium.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
My friend is a retired teacher. For the past several years he has been paying $195 per month for his health insurance. Last year they added a $20 co-pay for every appointment (there was no co-pay before) and yesterday he was told that starting next month the premium was going to be $426.

I wonder if this is the state getting out some retiree cost or the insurance company jacking rates in preparation for Obamacare being implemented? I have been told my deductible is going up (again, took a big jump last year) and the rates will be up 10%.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My insurance went up too starting in July. About $20 a month.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I was notified that my premium was going to be raised between 8% to 11% beginning 01 January, 2013. I guess they can't decide which, but I am betting it will be the higher of the two. Basically that is another fifty bucks a month right out of my pocket come January.
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    Mine has been going up by double digits for the last 6 years and has almost doubled in the last ten. Obamacare had nothing to do with it.....started going up way before they even started talking about it.

People without HC insurance is the reason why it go up every year......Dr's and hospitals charge more to insurance to make up for care for the uninsured. Im glad the government is now going to make deadbeats buy HC insurance....because my * is tired of carrying them!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Huge jump in premium.
    Being self employed, I had to drop mine when it hit $790 a month just for me. Now I have Blue Shield @ $290 a month with a 15k deduct. And I never use it!
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I received 40% off for cash at my regular Doctor and I get 30% off for cash at my ear Doctor. What does that tell you about Insurance? Don
  • stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    on june 1 mine went up $30 a month
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    quote:Huge jump in premium.
    Being self employed, I had to drop mine when it hit $790 a month just for me. Now I have Blue Shield @ $290 a month with a 15k deduct. And I never use it!

We are at a $ 10k deductible to keep the premium reasonable, and have been told that this will not be 'legal' come 2014. Apparently we will of be able to keep policy we have.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $241/month for me and the wife. $30 GP doctor's visits, $10 meds. $8000 co-pay.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Gotta love an HSA premium never goes up.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by dcon12
    I received 40% off for cash at my regular Doctor and I get 30% off for cash at my ear Doctor. What does that tell you about Insurance? Don
    [/quote
    What does that tell you about your doctors?[:0]
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Poor baby!
    I'm a retired Mech designer
    and I pay $1200/month for health ins with copay's.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, What state do you live in?