In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1976 K5 Blazer?????

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
On the way home from the farm today I saw a 1976 K5 Blazer with a "For Sale" sign on it. Stopped and took a look at it. Has the standard rust below the doors and on the lower edge of the wheel wells. Bone Stock 350 Cube Chevy engine (Including the heat riser from the manifold to the air cleaner....) Factory A/C, column shift auto trans, interior is original (but 36 years old).

Do NOT know if it starts/runs, but I can fix whatever ails a 350 pretty quickly. This thing shows NO hints/clues/traces of ever being modded/hopped up. Seriously, this Blazer looks like it has just been utilized as intended for the last 36 years. Didn't smell bad, didn't smell like anything is being covered up. Just a 36-year old Blazer showing it's years.
I am giving some thought to contacting the seller and taking a closer look. The Asking Price written on the window is $1000.00. With my description.... Is it worth that?

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sure $1000.00 ain't much for a fixer-uppper
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Around here it would bring that without much trouble.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    What the heck is "standard rust?" If it didn't come with it from the factory, it isn't standard. We don't do rust here, and I wouldn't tolerate it at any price.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    What the heck is "standard rust?" If it didn't come with it from the factory, it isn't standard. We don't do rust here, and I wouldn't tolerate it at any price.

Northern trucks with salted roads, snow, ice.. usually rust out or start to show rust in just a few years. It amazes me when I go up there that newer trucks, especially foreign ones with thinner metal are rusted completely thru the fenders. BTW... that heavy blazer would be worth around 5-600 bucks at the crusher.
    edited November -1
    Rust makes it worthless around here, except for parts.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Not much of a car guy are ya Nunn?

Quite a few older model cars/trucks held water in certain places ( due to the design). Older Camaros held water (and rusted..) below the back window and on the top of wheel wells. The old Blazers (well.... most of the Chevy models at the time) held water(and rusted) below the doors and on the wheel well ares. NOT the best selling point, but a characteristic of the model year. The Chevy Engineers of the time obviously had never heard or been educated on RUST. Buncha Maroons.... Anyhoo... There are a bunch of companies that specialize in replacement parts (Cut and weld) for these models. and the fixes aren't that expensive. The cars built at that time are definitely worth saving (IMO) depending on the price.

The $1000 price tag on this (standard Rust and all) Blazer, showing NO signs of modification, has me salivating just a little bit. It's one of my "Dream Vehicles", but still an unknown.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My nephew sold his '76 K5 for $2000 just a few weeks ago. The one you describe sounds like it's in better condition.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1

What a stupid response. Trucks in Texas rust too, here is just one discussion:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/auto-body/25908-ouch-bedliner-rusted-bed-out.html

As for the OP, I would pay $1k for it easy. Love those old K5s.
    edited November -1
    Rust also kills collector cars. I will not purchase a northern car because of the non original parts forks put on them.. new floorpans, trunk pans, rockers, patch panals, bondo. Original cars will last a long time if properly stored without any new body work done to them. They also bring way more money when sold.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here that's a call the junkyard car. They are paying $ 100 for junks.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back then all Chev's rusted and my 74 blazer was terrible waste of rust. Made a good mud runner with all the rust but little else and I had to get rid of it when the doors would fly open around corners because of the rust.[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Trucks in Texas rust too,

Yeah, on the coast, but I don't go there.

The link was about drop-in bedliners. Yes, a rust problem, because they remove the paint over time and trap moisture. I don't use those, either.

Incidentally, the 1980 Cadillac I bought a few years ago had all original paint and no rust anywhere.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    What kind of gas mileage would you expect on getting?
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorlvlb
    What kind of gas mileage would you expect on getting?

Expect to get about 10 mpg. I bought a 76 K10 shortbed with the same drive train in1978. It was already starting to rust around the wheel wells. The sheet metal in that period could not withstand any road salt.
    I've always heard that you could find vehicles from the 1940s and 50s in the Southwest states without a speck of rust
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Rust also kills collector cars. I will not purchase a northern car because of the non original parts forks put on them.. new floorpans, trunk pans, rockers, patch panals, bondo. Original cars will last a long time if properly stored without any new body work done to them. They also bring way more money when sold.

While I agree with you about the value of unmolested "collector cars", that is not what the OP is talking about.

Unfortunately, here in the north, rust is a fact of life. No matter what you do, if you drive in the winter, the rust will eventually win.[:(!]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bondo...cars of the early years came with bondo from the factory....I brought a 72 nova back from Cali...and a California built one...have the factory build (Van Neys)sp.. sheet found under the carpet on the trans tunnel...two rusted floor boards and rust on lower front wheel wheels...they ALL had it there..water and debris collection area...water can create rust dont ya know
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Bondo...cars of the early years came with bondoLead from the factory....I brought a 72 nova back from Cali...and a California built one...have the factory build (Van Neys)sp.. sheet found under the carpet on the trans tunnel...two rusted floor boards and rust on lower front wheel wheels...they ALL had it there..water and debris collection area...water can create rust dont ya know
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    TROUBLE[xx(][:(][V]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Bondo...cars of the early years came with bondoLead from the factory....I brought a 72 nova back from Cali...and a California built one...have the factory build (Van Neys)sp.. sheet found under the carpet on the trans tunnel...two rusted floor boards and rust on lower front wheel wheels...they ALL had it there..water and debris collection area...water can create rust dont ya know

whatever Select...skim coat was a popular item on 60's and 70's vehicles
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Around KY, Chevys came with the factory installed rust........Good Buy for $1000 if it runs good.
  • yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 83 4 door model (Suburban). 350, 3/4 ton 4 speed 4x4. Put $130 in the gas tank a couple of weeks ago and doubled the value of it!