In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cabin problem to solve

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
one place we own had a back porch made into part of the house with pella windows and a glass door ..interior wall taken out and it is all finished inside and nice carpet..about 8'X30'..a crawl space underneath accessed by a 24"X24" door.....part of it is easy to crawl around in and some get rather tight height wise...problem is...the easy go "carpenters" who built this put the paper back fiberglass insulation with the paper on top between stringers before reflooring so now after years it is sagging down over the accordian type heat/cool vent tubes..trying to figure out how to remove this with out a death wish...really need someone smaller and maybe a tyvek suit with a clear face mask??? to get it out with out eating or imbedding it in a body ..any practical ideas appreciated.... thanx

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you install rigid foam insulation against the bottom of the stringers leaving the old insulation undisturbed? Just use metal backed tape to seal the seams.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could you staple Chicken wire to the floor joists to support the insulation and keep it from falling/sagging?
    2-3 teenagers with Tyvek suits and a couple staple guns should be able to handle it......I wouldn't think it needs to be "perfect".......
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toss a gallon of gas and a match under there problem solved let the insurance rebuild it [}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some of the fiberglass is hanging down to the dirt 18"+?? ..trying to figure how to without damaging the slinky foil type air duct hanging on straps under stringers.like to fix something without tearing 3x up ..thot about 1" 1-1/2" ?? rigid foam strips between stringers trying to push up sagging insulation.... cannot remember if there are any X bracing between stringers ?? a real carpenter and i rebuilt the rest of the house but he is to big to wallow in this....the 3 exterior walls foundation have good shiny insulation board on them...4 floor ducts on exterior walls side with ducts running under joists at angles to them
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,642 ******
    edited November -1
    Idea:
    Cut lengths of heavy gauge high tensile fence wire 1/2? longer than the space between joists. Push wire in between joists every 12-16 inches to hold up the insulation.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Idea:
    Cut lengths of heavy gauge high tensile fence wire 1/2? longer than the space between joists. Push wire in between joists every 12-16 inches to hold up the insulation.

+1 or metal coat hangers cut to length every few feet on sagging insulation......
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cabin with Pella windows?
    Does it have a chandelier also?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they sell insulation supports that are a piece of wire that you just push up inside joists to hold insulation in place, do it in colder weather and dress for the mess.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
    edited November -1
    and the other windows are double pane double hung low E argon filled..full glass doors....a 9X20+' deck looking thru the oak trees about 100' west and 30 + ft down to the middle n/s of the lake ..when the sun goes down over the ridge west of the lake the water is a blaze orange...all new plumbing, all new wiring, all new roof, soffets, guttering, interior, carpet...central air/heat ...1100 sqft... and we are going to do some small fix up and sell it next spring ...i do not like the drive over anymore...and a few of my good friends have gone ..quiet lake, almost no one there except on the major holidays... hummingbirds and eagles migrate thru there....pelican and other water birds..good catfiah and crappie lake...biggest flathead caught there i know of was 70lbs....
  • hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The contractor we used to build a house for us used the wire batt supports and we never had a problem.

When his guys installed the batt supports, they used a 'T' shaped device made from a couple pieces of 1X4, with the top of the 'T' about 14 inches long, to push the batts up between the joists. Kept the guys from having to push the insulation in place by hand.
    edited November -1
    some good ideas to maybe get it back in place ..now how to protect me.. i do not want to breathe the fibers or be pincushioned while wallowing around ??
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    some good ideas to maybe get it back in place ..now how to protect me.. i do not want to breathe the fibers or be pincushioned while wallowing around ??

Im too old to be risking my health A trip to the Local labor pool will solve this...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
    edited November -1
    no real labor pool ..no kids...weekender lake...found most of the ideas at home depot ..have to stock up here and no HD near there...think with a tyvek suit and clear fullface dustmask and some rubberized lite gloves may get it done ....tie a rope around one ankle and if i poop out wife can get someone to drag me out......
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    no real labor pool ..no kids...weekender lake...found most of the ideas at home depot ..have to stock up here and no HD near there...think with a tyvek suit and clear fullface dustmask and some rubberized lite gloves may get it done ....tie a rope around one ankle and if i poop out wife can get someone to drag me out......

Tie the rope to the bumper on the car. Then she won't have to waste time calling someone to come help...[:D]
    Simpson brand 'lightning rods' are what I use for keeping the floor insulation in place. Quick and easy.
    While you're under there you might consider laying out some visqueen on the ground to act as a vapor barrier.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    simpson-strong-tie-accessories-is16-r100-c3_145.jpg
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.