In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

car question lexus es 350 2008

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
2008 es 350 225,000 miles

I recently had all my motor mounts (four) replaced. There is still some vibration that I can notice. It was bad on day one but it has become better. Day one there was significant vibration in park and in Drive at a stop sign and during acceleration. It has gotten better as the days passed as if it was settling in. Some times it is actually smooth and quiet.
However when I turn right and I am driving there is considerable vibration. It almost feels like grinding gears.
I have been back to the mechanic ( a friend shade tree mechanic) and he replaced a bolt on the drivers side mount.
Question Could this be an alignment issue? A drive train issue or is it likely a motor mount issue?
Thank you

Comments

• IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wheel bearing assembly.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER
    Wheel bearing assembly.

Or transmission mounts

Or U-joints.

The list is endless without being able to see it and check things out.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's happening in park I'm guessing there's something rotating that is out of balance somehow and I would think it would not be that hard to find. Why did you replace all of your motor mounts? If they were bad enough to cause that much of a problem you should be able to see excessive movement of the engine when revving it up.
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    If it's happening in park I'm guessing there's something rotating that is out of balance somehow and I would think it would not be that hard to find. Why did you replace all of your motor mounts? If they were bad enough to cause that much of a problem you should be able to see excessive movement of the engine when revving it up.

The rear mount was clearly bad, you could see the engine lift if you gassed it and there was a vibration during acceleration. The mechanic said your car is old they may all be ready to give out. Lets replace them all.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Is it throwing any codes ?

Vibrations while in park are pretty hard to explain as an alignment issue.

Its pretty quiet in park now. As I said its smoothed out over time. Almost like its settling in. I think thats weird that it seems to have gotten better.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lot of ways to go with that issue. If its ignition/ timing, it brings in a whole bunch culprits. What about fuel quality. Have you switched gas stations or the grade of gas you normally use?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:So you have vibration under load. well I would look at a few things that may be possible:

1. Ignition issue- one cylinder misfiring- any CEL or codes ?

2. Torque converter failing (doubtful)

3. CVJ loose or failing- check by doing left and right figure 8 turns at low speed in a parking lot. If you hear clicking then you have a bad axle.

4. Crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. (doubtful)

5. Loose/bent wheel /wheel bearing-spindle/etc.

6. engine mount.

7. Out of round tire.

BTW, the wheel bearings on an ES will "growl" very loudly at 40mph when shot. No mistaking it.

A whole bunch of stuff.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    With this many people complaining I think it is supposed to do that.

https://repairpal.com/shaking-at-60-mph--352
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:So you have vibration under load. well I would look at a few things that may be possible:

1. Ignition issue- one cylinder misfiring- any CEL or codes ?

2. Torque converter failing (doubtful)

3. CVJ loose or failing- check by doing left and right figure 8 turns at low speed in a parking lot. If you hear clicking then you have a bad axle.

4. Crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. (doubtful)

5. Loose/bent wheel /wheel bearing-spindle/etc.

6. engine mount.

7. Out of round tire.

BTW, the wheel bearings on an ES will "growl" very loudly at 40mph when shot. No mistaking it.

A whole bunch of stuff.

#5 is probably worth looking into the mechanic said my front end was very work out
    I'll try the low speed turns
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. After finding what the problem is take it to your "shade tree" mechanic to take care of.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harmonic balancer [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860
    2008 es 350 225,000 miles

I recently had all my motor mounts (four) replaced. There is still some vibration that I can notice. It was bad on day one but it has become better. Day one there was significant vibration in park and in Drive at a stop sign and during acceleration. It has gotten better as the days passed as if it was settling in. Some times it is actually smooth and quiet.
    However when I turn right and I am driving there is considerable vibration. It almost feels like grinding gears.
    I have been back to the mechanic ( a friend shade tree mechanic) and he replaced a bolt on the drivers side mount.
    Question Could this be an alignment issue? A drive train issue or is it likely a motor mount issue?
    Thank you

Those highlighted rule out much of what is suggested.

Not saying the other stuff may not be needed on an older car, but if it is doing it in PARK, it is not associated with any driveline past the end of the crank. The motor mount change won't fix a rough running engine.

If no codes show up, I might go with the harmonic balancer. On the opposite end of engine, you could check torque converter bolts, but that would probably make some noise too.

My hunch is more along tuneup params. Something like the VVT (variable valve timing)or lifters that could be intermittent. Spark wires, open hood at night with no lights.

The vibes turning probably another issue like cv joint. If not, a plug wire could be chafing on steering?

Good luck chasing it down.