In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATV's???

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
New to ATVs
Looking at buying a new ATV within the next 6 to 12 months. I am looking into the Honda Rincon, Foreman, and foreman rubicon. I like the manual transmission, however i feel the automatic would be better suited for my use and guest users. I will be using this during hunting season and occasional light trail running. What would be my best choice in model? Also when does honda send out new year models giving me chance on a great deal on a 2011?

Thanks

Comments

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have arctic cats and never had one problem with them. Their ground clearence is much greater then my fathers Honda. You might want to check them out if you dont have your heart set on a honda. Nothing wrong with a honda, All my motorcycles are hondas. Just giving you some food for thought.Also, the arctic cat is bigger then the hondas for the same class size if you are a taller person.
  • wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont really like the idea of a belt driven ATV, however I am open to all ideas.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    don't overlook the Yamaha grizzly and kodiak.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    The yamaha looks promising, however I have been artic cats and feel they are to top heavy. Found this out after one was ontop of me.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    I have two sportmans 500 H.O. Polaris,

the best ride out there, but you pay $$$ for it

I didnt like how the hondas felt, jmho, the automatic is very nice,

flame on
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have/had Polaris, Yamaha, Arctic Cats and Kawasaki's at the farm. The Honda's are the best, they start every time and are ready to run always, they generally cost a little more but are worth it.

Some of those models have auto transmission as well as an electronic shift for a manual transmission type action.

KC
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    They are all good these days. I have had 3 Hondas and now have a Polaris belt drive.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a honda foreman rubicon and it has served me well, both for work here on the ranch and trailriding. I love it.
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a Honda doesn't start, you better check the gas tank.
    edited November -1
    I'm looking hard at the foreman rubicon automatic with ps and the grizzly. I'll probably with with which ever I get the best deal on.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    i would take it for a "test drive" around here atv dealers will let you rent one for a weekend
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Foreman Rubicon and forget the Grizzly. Grizzly's are a dying breed around here. People got tired of filling them up with oil and checking the gas two or three times a days when they are used hard. Rides of choice now days are the Honda's or the Kawasaki's Brute Force.

The power steering on the Honda's is nothing to brag about. The only time that you will even know you have it is when riding over very rough terrain. It does nothing on smooth surfaces or at higher speeds.

The Kawasaki's come with cheap plastic A arm and engine "skid plates" that are useless and usually get ripped off within a month. 90% of people whom buy a Kawasaki goes ahead and buys a new aluminum engine plate out of fear that the oil drain plug will get ripped out on rocks. I have never saw nor heard of it happening. But I can see why people are concerned with it. Other than the oil drain plug issue. People here love their Brute Forces.

quote:great deal on a 2011

It is not like it use to be. You will not get a great deal on a 2011 until 2013 if you can find one that has been held over for two years. $500 off, Maybe but that will be about it.
  • grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Honda Rancher purchased new in 2006 with auto transmission that I have run the hell out of on the ranch with never a problem. Only maintenance is regular oil and filter changes.

Got the auto tranny because I mounted a 25 gallon spray tank to spray thistles with and it allows me to use the hand wand without stopping.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda makes the best quad hands down IMO. I currently have a 2007 Recon 250. A small, nimble bike that can do everything I need it to. The Hondas are just built better and will outlast all the others. My brother has a 1987 4 Trax that has been abused severely on a farm and still runs like a champ. I've owned Honda and all other major brands for over 30 years and nothing even comes close to the durability of the Honda.

Just my honest experience.

Good luck, Don
    edited November -1
    Honda suspensions beat me to death, that was the reason I switched to polaris. Honda also dropped the ball in the side by side market.... Dropped it like a hot rock, and are getting there lunch eaten because of there lack of foresight in that market.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Polaris side by sides ROCK!!! ATV's too [:0]

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg
    Yea they love fuel, but have you ever had that much fun on 4 wheels?....[:D]

IMG_6285.jpg
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My 2011 Can Am 400 is treating me very well so far..
    I really like the auto, and the injected motor is a plus..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen

Yea they love fuel, but have you ever had that much fun on 4 wheels?....

Nope.[:)]

The only thing I want is turning brakes [:p]

You mean a skid steer? The long wheel base does eat up some ground. I took a friends 4 seater out and its like a limosine.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    If you like rattles and shakes, go Polaris.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain