In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Calling OKRA Experts!!!

HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
Harvested my OKRA Today, and chopped into rounds, put in egg wash, then Old Bay Seasoned Flour (Wife wanted Flour) and Fried in Deep Skillet with Vegetable Oil...

Got them nicely Tan, drained for a bit on Paper towels, and added a little Salt before they cooled.

They were NOT like I remember. They were woody, with dry strings that you couldn't chew. They had a nice but Faint OKRA Flavor, and I could taste a little "Green" Flavor (like Grass), but they weren't as soft as I expected...

Did I wait too long to harvest them? When is the Right Time? Mine were mostly nearly Six Inches Long, Kinda Light in Weight, and still uniformly Green. No Hairs on the outside??!!??

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    Did I wait too long to harvest them?

Ain't nothing can get by you! Don
  • dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. Waited too long. Done it myself too. Ive found its best to harvest when theyre 4-5". Any longer and they get woody like youve described.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep. smaller is more tender.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, when they get too big it's like eating fried toothpicks.

If they are tough when you slice them, they will be tough when you try to eat them.

You'll usually get one or two pods off each stalk. After you cut them off the stalk will produce again. Then again.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    yep. smaller is more tender.

This younger generation !
    What to do with them ![;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harvest at about 3 inches long. Pick twice a day. They can grow fast.[:D]
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time use Olive Oil.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Yep.

Smaller is better.

Texans make that mistake often.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it crunches as you cut it up,it will be too tough to eat.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Went away for a week during late summer when I was 15 or so.
    Dad sent me out to the garden to cut okra when we got back.

Swear, there were some huge ones. Coulda cut them in half and used them as canoes. (well, maybe not that big)

But they're like zuchini. You can walk the garden every day and then you'll see a monster that you swear wasn't there yesterday.

If you see any 3 inchers, grab 'em.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    If they don't cut easy, I mean real easy, no crunch, with a sharp knife, toss 'em. The way I cook them, and many will disagree with me, as has been proven from previous posts, is to rinse and drain the cut okra, toss it in a bag with cornmeal, and deep fry it until golden brown. A little salt, and you're good to go.

If you have excess, cut it up and put it into freezer bags. Great for gumbo, or stews. Not too bad fried from frozen, but not as good as fresh.

Been raising it and cooking it this way for 30 years.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Mucho Thanks To all! Gotta get it right - greenhouse will keep me in Gumbo, now that I can Harvest them at RIGHT TIME!
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, for sure.

No matter what you may have heard to the contrary, Bigger is NOT always Better with all things and all times!

I pick them smaller. More of them when smaller is much better than any amount of them wehn too big and woody.

For what it is worth, after bathing in beaten eggs I shake em in corn meal and then pepper to taste and fry more slowly or lower temp.

They are worth experimenting with some, until one finds the best way for themselves. Most folk have some difference in tastes. [;)]