In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Home protection load for H/D ..12 ga load .

camodudecamodude Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
My buddy and i were talking loads for h/d the other day for a 12ga. I will always take oobuck 2/34 load over many other choices . He said steel bb load from 3 1/2 nitro mag . Still i gotta say the 00buck is combat proven . I told him we could make a impact test . Any suggestions as how to make one that would clean up easy? Thx .

Comments

• Reaper1862Reaper1862 Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    clean up what? the body?
    If you shoot someone with a 12 ga in your house (close range) any load will kill them and make a bloody mess. The shot doesn't even leave the cup for 10 feet.
    (select fire's home may be different)
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    00buck will kill neighbors,3 HOUSES AWAY!!! 3-1/2" BB won't.
    Nuff said.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    steel sucks, recovery too slow with 3.5"
    you can use smaller shot at close range to limit penetration. even #7.5 size is deadly at 5 yds
    look at what LEOs and the army use.
    2.75" 00 buck!
    4 buck is better for most non military and most home defense w. neighbors in mind should prob be #4 birdshot
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself a favor and crank off a round of 12 gauge in a confined space and get back to us with a report on concussion and such.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    he is a retard.
    you can use smaller shot at close range
    2.75" 00 buck!
    yeah but sometimes they have to shoot bears, fleeing felons or crack heads and they always have to be prepared for zombies...outdoors [:D]
    edited November -1
    well i agree. whats your home?
    apartment or 40 acres?
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    clean up what? the body?
    If you shoot someone with a 12 ga in your house (close range) any load will kill them and make a bloody mess. The shot doesn't even leave the cup for 10 feet.
    (select fire's home may be different)

[:D]

Id move if I needed to have a gun at home...[8D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #4 shot is fine. Buck has too much penetration.
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home defense? ANY..(repeat)..ANY 12 gauge shotshell load fired inside your house is gonna put a very large hole in the target. I doubt that even 2% of any such 12ga shotshells fired inside a house will go beyond 15 feet prior to striking the target.

However, I agree that #4 shot will make a pretty good mess.

Personally, however, I load alternately in my 870, 2 3/4" slug/00buck/slug/00buck, etc.

This is off-topic, but I just thought of it.....
    As a matter of interest, there was a topic on the ATE forum a few months ago regarding cutting a sort-of spiral circle in shotgun shells to turn any shotshell into a "slug". I think there was a youtube video link demonstrating the procedure and the effect of such a procedure. Not something I would want to try with a pump or semi-auto gun, because the darn shells would come apart, I would think. However, no reason that it would not work nicely in a doubles gun. Just an interesting point and would only be practical or useful in certain unique circumstances.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duplex 2x4...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    00buck will kill neighbors,3 HOUSES AWAY!!! 3-1/2" BB won't.
    Nuff said.

00 buck is sufficient for monarch butterflies. 3-1/2" steel BB's will stop most dinosaurs with one shot. [:p][:D]
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1

you can use smaller shot at close range to limit penetration. even #7.5 size is deadly at 5 yds
    2.75" 00 buck!
    4 buck is better for most non military and most home defense w. neighbors in mind should prob be #4 birdshot

Don't know of any LE agency (except maybe some small town idiots) that use buckshot. Everyone has switched to slugs to avoid the litigation of 'spray and pray' shotgun loads.

Buckshot would be great for military application, but LE needs to be far more concerned with background collateral damage from unaccounted for shot.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I suggest you both study up on the experiments done at

www.theboxotruth.com

You could skip to here:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

But I wholly recommend you start at the beginning.

edit to add: it appears some others on this forum could benefit from a read on that site as well.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I love box of truth, they do some great experiments to debunk or prove old and new myths and misconcepts about all kinds of fiream and ammo related topics.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I've used #4 buck and 00 buck on feral dogs. Over penetration is not an issue here. Both work just fine, but usually have the bedside gun loaded with #4 buck with a couple #3 buck in no particular order. Depends on what I have at hand. Makes no difference...I need new carpets anyway..[;)]
  • jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    A local guy around here makes some specialty shells. Slug/buckshot, Birdshot/buckshot and flechettes. Not sure if I spelled that correctly. The Birdshot/buckshot shells have a small cardboard disk seperating the two shots. The flechettes had suprisingly little recoil but tore the heck outta the paper at 5 yards. All of them functioned flawlesly however at $2 a shell they are for HD only. Not something you want to shoot at the range except for testing.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I would love to see that BOT guy do some tests with flechettes.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I was looking for a good 12-GA home defense load, so I built a wall. This wall was built to code for interior walls, just like my house is- 2x4 studs, with sheets of 1/2" dry-wall on each side. I took that wall (6ft tall x 6ft wide) out to the range for testing. I set it up and hit it with 00-buck, slug, and #4 shot at 1o feet to see what effect each load had.
    Well, the 00-buck just went through the wall like butter, as did the slug (LOL). The #4 shot did a serious number on the front-side dry-wall, and a few pellets went through the backside, but without much force.
    I decided that for within the home, #4 shot would be my choice of load. I really don't like the idea of firing off a round in the house that would definitely go through walls and possibly hurt my wife/kids.

EDIT: WOW! I just saw that I'm at 2499 posts. I've got to see what I have to offer for my 2500 post give-away.
    edited November -1
    um the ones i know do

quote:Originally posted by bhale187

2.75" 00 buck!

Don't know of any LE agency (except maybe some small town idiots) that use buckshot. Everyone has switched to slugs to avoid the litigation of 'spray and pray' shotgun loads.

Buckshot would be great for military application, but LE needs to be far more concerned with background collateral damage from unaccounted for shot.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187

2.75" 00 buck!

There are 100s probably 1000s of PDs, Sheriff's Offices and Federal Agencies, across this Country that still use 00 Buck. It is a requirement for all Virginia Agencies that utilize shotguns to qualify with 00 Buck.

So apparently you are speaking to a regional change over to slug only.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Federal Tactical 00 Buck with the Flitecontrol Wad made of PVC rather than plastic shoots a sub 12" group out near 25 yards, at 15 yards is shot a little over a fist sized group.