In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Harbor Freight Ammo Boxes...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
In case anyone is interested Harbor Freight has some el cheapo Bunker Hill plastic ammo boxes for $4.99 each with one of their coupons. There's a limit of 8 per coupon.

They seem to be made pretty well. I bought 8 of them but I need about 30 more. I'm going to eventually get my ammo in some kind of order. I've got it in cardboard boxes and in cabinets and on shelves I can't find what I'm looking for half the time.

Here is the coupon that's good until 2/28/17.
http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/507_ITEM_AMMO_BOX_1483645952.1643.JPG

image_24452.jpg

61451_zzz_500.jpg

Comments

• gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure to buy them one at a time so you can get the free flashlights, batteries & other items.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meh......plastic. [:(]

I thought the point of ammo boxes was that they were metal, and would contain the rounds if they ever went off during a fire?

I hate plastic stuff anyway.

I'll spend 2x the money once on metal cans, and they'll never break.

Whatever works for you though. [:D]

Merc
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the heads up

however
    I bought several maybe 6 (two for ) sets at rural king around Christmas
    a 50 cal size and a 30 cal size for about 9 bucks a set plastic
    and several metal 50 cal cans for 10.00 each
    on top of what I had [:D]
    My wife looked at me when I had the cart loaded down with them I did not have the nerve to tell her I needed more for all the ammo I had horded up [:o)][:o)][:o)][:0][:0]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    USGI ammo cans cost more, but the quality is not even comparable. I like the usgi .30 caliber cans myself, I can fit eight loaded 30 AR15 mags in one of them. The .30 caliber cans are also great for 50 round boxes of .45acp or 9mm.

I remember reading that ammo in usgi cans survived the flooding of hurricane katrina, the rubber seals are that good.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo does not "go off" in a fire. Even if it did, you would not want it tightly contained creating a bomb shell.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by M1A762
    USGI ammo cans cost more, but the quality is not even comparable.

I remember reading that ammo in usgi cans survived the flooding of hurricane katrina, the rubber seals are that good.

I'm not looking for high quality I'm just wanting something more sturdy than a cardboard box to keep my ammo in that don't cost very much and these boxes fit the bill perfectly. My ammo is kept inside my house where the temperature and humidity are always about the same so I don't care how air tight they are.

I'm up on a big hill and if my house is ever in a flood then all of central Georgia will be under water so I'm not going to worry about that and if my ammo ever gets ruined somehow I'll just pull the bullets, clean the cases, put in new powder and primers and reload them again.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    there is talk of the army getting rid of the steel can[V]
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any way to keep ammo dry, temp controlled and easily identified is a plus. I personally use the metal cans, painting them in some form of personalized camo pattern then marking on the end opposite the latch the caliber.

With .22LR, .22 mag, .380, .38 Spl WC, .38 Spl, .357, .40, .44 spl, .44 Mag, ,45 ACP, and .45 colt for handguns, and .223, .30 Car, .30-06, 8x57, .303 Br, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, .270, .257 Rob, .243, .35 Rem, .30-30, 300 Weatherby, 7mm Rem mag (along with 12, 16, 20, 28 and the .410) to keep track of, keeping the marked cans on sturdy metal shelving sure makes it easier to find what I'm looking for. [8D]
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will indeed make a pop........but won't fire the bullet, of course. I threw a few rounds in a campfire when I was young and dumb.

Merc

quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Ammo does not "go off" in a fire. Even if it did, you would not want it tightly contained creating a bomb shell.
  • jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    I was in Tractor Supply the other day and they had metal military style cans for 10$
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like a hell of a deal with the included 1650 rds of .22 lr. Where's Doc?
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    It will indeed make a pop........but won't fire the bullet, of course. I threw a few rounds in a campfire when I was young and dumb.

Merc

It might not fire the bullet, but it'll sure fling the casing!

After a fire I found a wooden drawer with several pieces of 30-06 brass stuck in the sides! Where the rest of the box went I have no idea.
    (the puddle I first thought was lead turned out to be the remains of a Raven)
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have some 50 cal boxes I bought when they were 2 bucks apiece.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=ammo+can

Thanks for the info. That's a good deal for $4.88 each. I just ordered 8 of these from Walmart and it's free shipping with an order over $35.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Thanks for the info. That's a good deal for $4.88 each. I just ordered 8 of these from Walmart and it's free shipping with an order over $35.

That is a good deal. I ordered 10. My ammo and reloading "storage" has gotten out of control.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

That is a good deal. I ordered 10. My ammo and reloading "storage" has gotten out of control.

I know what you mean. I've got ammo stored every where in different types of boxes. With these boxes I can store it by caliber and label it so I'm not searching the house over when I'm needing a particular caliber.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice deal. Add the 20% off coupons and now that is a great deal. I have a ton of coupons. I think I will get a few of these.Thanks for the heads up. Oak
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the 20% off coupon can be used for that. Many of their items are on sale as special coupon sales that cannot be reduced.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    Nice deal. Add the 20% off coupons and now that is a great deal. I have a ton of coupons. I think I will get a few of these.Thanks for the heads up. Oak

The Walmart price above is a better deal. You can't use the 20% coupon with this coupon.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    I still have some 50 cal boxes I bought when they were 2 bucks apiece.

I paid $5 and the 20 I bought were not enough.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those containers are nice but too small...
    "What is truth?'
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have about 250 MTM Sportsman dry boxes (about 50 cal size). Got them dumpster diving at a mine I worked at. A company that rebuilt a fast wearing part on continuous miners would ship the rebuilt parts in the boxes and when the mine used the parts they would just toss the boxes in the dumpster.

Grab one one day and saw that it had a recessed handle, water proof rubber seal and was lockable.. Thought of a thousand uses they would be good for. So I started collecting them.

31811598554_4f10ba7524_z.jpg

Toughest plastic storage boxes I have ever saw.
    edited November -1
    That was fast. I ordered 8 of the Walmart ammo boxes on the 1st of Feb. and they arrived today on the 3rd of Feb. Fed-X did a good job.

They look the same as the Harbor Freight boxes just a different color.

a9499fb2_ff0f_453f_9378_28357bc5efa8_1_94558a019.jpg
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Obviously you have never been around a fire that had ammunition or loaded firearms in it.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some, but they are very very cheap.

They have good quality ones at Costco, all metal, 1 50 cal and 1 30 cal. in the set.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was fast. I ordered 8 of the Walmart ammo boxes on the 1st of Feb. and they arrived today on the 3rd of Feb. Fed-X did a good job.

They look the same as the Harbor Freight boxes just a different color.

a9499fb2_ff0f_453f_9378_28357bc5efa8_1_94558a019.jpg

I just got mine today also. Nice box. The 10 I have will be filled ASAP. Now I need some more[:(]

I have so many boxes of primers its scary. I must have gone temporarily insane a few years ago. I have them vacuum packed with a desiccant packet in the vacuum bag and stored in 30mm ammo cans. I will not embarrass myself and say how many I have.

My name is Sam and I am a reloading component hoarder.............I have at least 1 ton of lead, brass out the kazoo, way more powder than my insurance company would be comfortable with and ...........lets just say lots of primers. I need to get control of this[:0]
    RLTW

• fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Obviously you have never been around a fire that had ammunition or loaded firearms in it.

I wasn't clear. I know it pops and burns. It is just not an explosion that antigun kooks like to tell us it is.

https://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1

I wasn't clear. I know it pops and burns. It is just not an explosion that antigun kooks like to tell us it is.

https://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c
    Correct, pops and blows the cases around. Nothing like a gunshot, unless above mentioned loaded firearm cooks off.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

I have so many boxes of primers its scary. I must have gone temporarily insane a few years ago. I have them vacuum packed with a desiccant packet in the vacuum bag and stored in 30mm ammo cans. I will not embarrass myself and say how many I have.

You ought to be thankful you did buy a bunch of primers when you did. Have you priced those things lately? Evidently they're making them out of platinum and gold these days.
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use those plastic ammo cans when i go to the range.other than that all my stuff at home sits in a big trunk. been told its from the vietnam era.