In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

St Louis area 35 years ago today

discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
the Great Blizzard pf 1982 20 inches of snow in St Louis 24+ from Mt Vernon south. i was home bound for 4 days..

http://www.ksdk.com/weather/35-years-later-remembering-the-blizzard-of-1982/394923782

Comments

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i remember it well, it had no effect on me getting to where i needed to go i didnt have a car, was young and dumb it was a slight inconvenience for me
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    up north, the only thing different about it was we got more snow than usual.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1st blizzard i was ever in that it thundered and lightning the entire time.. it put on quite a show as it keep piling up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    1st blizzard i was ever in that it thundered and lightning the entire time.. it put on quite a show as it keep piling up

yes with 10' snow drifts
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I did drink my 20's away (as some of my friends told me) because I don't remember that at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pistoljim
    I guess I did drink my 20's away (as some of my friends told me) because I don't remember that at all.

that must have been some drinking, that was the last time saint louis was white [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    then the following winter we had about 8-9 inches of snow but the high winds that followed created such drifting problems all east/west highways and roads were closed for 3 days. i was stuck in St Louis from monday thru thursday when i was able to go home after work. i stayed at a co workers apartment 3 blocks from work
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made enough from that storm plowing snow off of parking lots to buy my first snow mobile
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I left St. Louis (Overland actually, but not on the old Overland Trail) January 2, 1979. Temp was -2 and had not been above 10 in days. 4 inches of glare ice on the interstate all the way across Missouri, and snow packed and icy to OK City. One lane snow packed to the Texas line. Clear and dry from there on. It was 45 the day we arrived in Albuquerque and we unloaded in our shirt sleeves because it seemed so balmy.

Glad I missed the bad one of 82.[:)]
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep :

I remember it well !!! I had a '79 lifted ford bronco that we went out 'playing' in the snow : I was in snow that I pushed with the front bumper !!! We sure had fun in that mess !!!!!!!!
    I lived in Herrin , ILL. ( an hour north of Paducah ) :
    Also had one around '79 ???

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Illinois 25 miles East of St. Louis and rember it well. We had built a new home on my family farm a couple of years befroe. I was sitting in my living room around midnight watching TV. They cut in with a weather update. The forecast had been for maybe 6' to 8" of snow that evening. They then updated it to 20". I cussed so loud I woke up my wife sleeping upstairs. My driveway is 1/4 mile long. Managed to dig my way out of the driveway with my JD 50 tractor with chains and an 8" blade. Wife was pregnant with our youngest daughter at the time. Couldn't get to work in E. St. Louis for a couple of days. Hope I never see it that bad again.