In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stihl

victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
I bought a Stihl double line weed wacker, it sucks. I tried using only one line , it still got tangled up on the spool. Is ther a trick to winding the line on the spool?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read the directions and follow the arrows on the head.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IBTStihl
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought all stihl posts were moved to politics?
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    I thought all stihl posts were moved to politics?

Ron Paul uses stihl products.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Romney has elevators for his
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow the factory directions precisely, and all should be well. Only trouble I have with mine, is that it is a bear to start. First few pulls are tough, then many more until it runs. If I had to buy it again, I wouldn't. Their blower runs like a Swiss watch, however, the trimmer doesn't.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    You gotta be smarter than the spool.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    Follow the factory directions precisely, and all should be well. Only trouble I have with mine, is that it is a bear to start. First few pulls are tough, then many more until it runs. If I had to buy it again, I wouldn't. Their blower runs like a Swiss watch, however, the trimmer doesn't.

I start mine this way: Apply full chock, pull until it barks once. Reduce to half chock and pull again, should fire right away if the fuel mix is correct. When it starts, let it run for 30 seconds and then take the chock completely off.

My 2 cents, works for me, I have several Stihl products.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Stihl weed eaters FS45 and so far the only problem I have had is the screen in the muffler gets stopped up and you have to take it out and clean it every couple years. They are not to easy to start, but do what Cornflk1 said and they start after about five pulls.
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    I have two Stihl weed eaters FS45 and so far the only problem I have had is the screen in the muffler gets stopped up and you have to take it out and clean it every couple years. They are not to easy to start, but do what Cornflk1 said and they start after about five pulls.

Take the screen out and throw it away. First thing I do on all Sthil products.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine starts EVERY time I push the button. (electric)
    And yes, one HAS to read the directions.
    [^]barto[^]
  • NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    Go get a good aftermarket head for it. Winding line for a head is like having a apple IIe computer today. ( way old and out of date technology) Get a good head that takes pieces of line. All you have to do is cut some 8 or 10 inch pieces and stick them in and then when they wear out, put 2 more in. With the head I have I buy extra heavy line and it last way longer.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let the wife do it, thats what I do [:D][:D]
  • ChalklineChalkline Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the technique, Corn. My Stihl trimmer is several years old and getting progressively harder to start. Was going to take it in for an overhaul this Spring but maybe your suggestion will get it through another year.

Actually, I've been considering their new line of battery hedge trimmers and line trimmers. The batteries are incredibly expensive but the convenience of having a non-gas engine might be worth it for residential use...I never use it for longer at a time that what Stihl says the battery is good for.