In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Starbucks to open this weekend in Ferguson

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
good luck with that, hope they take link cards

http://fox2now.com/2016/04/29/starbucks-to-open-this-weekend-in-ferguson/

FERGUSON, MO (KTVI)- Residents in Ferguson will soon have a place to go enjoy a cup of coffee. A new Starbucks is opening there on Saturday. It's part of the company's goal to open new locations in low-income communities across the country. Last November the coffee giant broke ground on West Florissant Avenue.

The store will feature cakes from Natalie's Cake and More.

Plus it will have a classroom area where local non profits will do job skills training classes for young people.

Comments

• woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure that is exactly what was missing from that neighborhood. A place for those sophisticated folks to pay $6.00 for a cup of coffee and let their creative juices flow....
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a good one!

But, seriously, you're being pranked. It's a hoax.

Neal
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality bathrooms for shooting up and napping . . .
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    That's a good one!

But, seriously, you're being pranked. It's a hoax.

Neal

no it is not a prank

https://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-to-open-in-ferguson-missouri

When Starbucks chairman and ceo Howard Schultz traveled to St. Louis, Missouri earlier this year for the fourth in a series of partner forums on race, he embarked a low-profile side trip to nearby Ferguson. The city continued to show signs from the rioting and confrontations between police and demonstrators the previous summer after the killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

But there was more on display in the city of 21,000 than destruction. There was promise.

Starbucks director of community investments Rodney Hines, who was along on the visit, thought that despite the burned-out buildings and broken windows, the essence of a viable community could be seen. As the tour continued, Schultz suggested "there should be a Starbucks here."

Earlier this month, Starbucks announced plans to build a store in Ferguson, as part of an accelerated program to open stores in 15 diverse urban communities across the U.S., with at least five stores expected to open in 2016. The jobs created by opening these new stores will help achieve the company's previously stated goal of hiring 10,000 Opportunity Youth - young people between the ages of 16-24 who face systemic barriers to meaningful jobs and education - and the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative's collective goal of hiring 100,000 Opportunity Youth by 2018.

In addition to opening a store in the West Florissant neighborhood of Ferguson, Starbucks will launch stores in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago's South Side; the Jamaica neighborhood in Queens, New York; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and will remodel an existing store at 7th and Camelback in Phoenix, Arizona.

The stores will be designed to accommodate jobs-skills training classes overseen by Starbucks and local organizations. Starbucks will also create partnerships with local women- and minority-owned businesses, as they are doing with a Ferguson bakery called Natalie's Cakes & More, which was damaged during the unrest.

Starbucks will carry Natalie's Signature Caramel Cake its Ferguson store when it opens next summer, and the cakes will also be available in five Starbucks in the surrounding St. Louis area beginning August 9, 2015.

Starbucks impact is already being felt, according to the bakery's owner Natalie DuBose. She said local news about the arrangement between Starbucks and Natalie's Cakes & More began circulating on July 15, and the next day dozens of Starbucks patrons showed up anxious to get a taste of the bakery's treats.

"We've been in job interviews for the last week and a half," said DuBose.

"Moving forward, we're going to hire more because of the quantity that will be in demand at the stores. We've been shipping caramel cakes left and right just because of the buzz that they're in the Starbucks stores."

The mission in Missouri was to find a location that works on multiple levels, according to Hines. A new coffeehouse would have to forcefully contribute to economic development in the community, provide a third place for social interaction and flourish commercially.

Vice president of Starbucks U.S. store development Rob Sopkin, who along with Hines is spearheading the Ferguson project, took charge of finding a spot that would work for both the community and the company. The Ferguson store is progressing at a rapid clip, fueled by support from city officials and community leaders.

"Whereas it usually takes anywhere from six months to a year to get a lease signed, and then it can take up to a year before we open up, this one took just months," Sopkin said, adding that he expects the West Florissant store to be operating by the summer of 2016.

"Starbucks is stepping up and investing in our community in a way that will open up exciting opportunities for all," added Michael McMillan, CEO for the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis. "We hope more businesses will appreciate this city's resilience and join us in turning what was a tragedy into a triumph."
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    I'm sure that is exactly what was missing from that neighborhood. A place for those sophisticated folks to pay $6.00 for a cup of coffee and let their creative juices flow....

LMAO[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess is it will be burnt, closed within a year-
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotta be nuts to open any business in that s**t hole place.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999

you would be surprised, they have pumped millions into rebuilding, opening new businesses , relocating government building to pour taxpayers money into that s**t hole

after all it was the fault of low economy
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will need automatic fire sprinklers and shatterproof windows.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

you would be surprised, they have pumped millions into rebuilding, opening new businesses , relocating government building to pour taxpayers money into that s**t hole

after all it was the fault of low economy

By "they" we assume you mean leftist idiots known as demorats.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It won't last six months until an armed robbery and shooting happens. It will be a magnet for unarmed peoples to be preyed upon by Dinn Do Nuffin, a convicted gang-banger felon in possession of a stolen handgun.
    edited November -1
    quote:By "they" we assume you mean leftist idiots known as demorats.

exactly
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay tuned. We will hear more on the evening news.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    It won't last six months until an armed robbery and shooting happens. It will be a magnet for unarmed peoples to be preyed upon by Dinn Do Nuffin, a convicted gang-banger felon in possession of a stolen handgun.

I would love to know how many times they do get robbed before the company closes the joint. Then again if they're "paid off" to stay there then how many Satrbucks Live Matter [:D]?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we should start a pool on the destruction date...$10 a date...should provide the winner enuff for a grand weekend and a ton of "I TOLD U SO" cards to starstruck....WE WILL HAVE A WINNER
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I am glad the government steals enough of my money I worked
    for to give away so these takers can afford $3.00 A cup coffeepi
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter

I don't go there, but I don't believe you get anything at Star*ucks for 3 dollars. Maybe a bottle of water.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Exactly,,[V][V]
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

tax write off
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe but OHH what publicity among the primitives as they organize for their next looting
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure Starbucks got enough State incentives to open there.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Starbucks billionaire Howard Schultz may build a coffee shop there. If his heart is really in it, why does't he move to Ferguson. Settle down there with his wife and kids.
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who Cares[xx(]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Missouri Mule K30
    Who Cares[xx(]

This.

As to success. . .I bet it will be successful.

Don't forget Starbucks coffee is super-high caffiene and, in effect, an addictive drug. Its been shown that when a Starbucks opens, coffee demand in the general area goes up.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't get it. There was an AWESOME Starbucks location in a busy area near Birmingham....Roebuck was the actual location. This area is very busy....lots of traffic! The drive through was constantly filled with cars and the lobby had people in there every time I went.

But....

They closed it down. I have no idea why??? Roebuck is "almost" inner city. Its one of those areas that used to be THE place to go...two movie theaters, two malls filled with familiar shops. Many MANY years ago one of my high school friends was the manager for the shoe department of Kmart and they let him go because they were closing that department. They told him that they estimated that area to be inner city within ten years.....we couldn't believe it.....but they were right.

Now....to hear that they plan on a Starbucks making a successful go of things in Ferguson, but they closed the one in Roebuck is just crazy.

This mess is just a "look at us" adventure. There is NO WAY one of their stores can make it there without fudging the numbers of just being ok with it being a constant loss of money.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    A class room in the coffee shop. Maybe they will teach reloading and marksmanship.
    W.D.
  • ScottymacScottymac Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    serving Mellon Coffee and Moon pies too[:D]
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot Damn! They is gonna be fried chicken at the Starbucks...