In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

10/22 recoil buffer

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
would installing a recoil buffer in my 10/22 be a good idea if I was going to be firing some really hot ammo in it or does it not make a difference on wear and tear/usable life?

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO
    I put them in my 10-22's if they help or not I can not say for sure , I decided they cant hurt and the cost is cheep
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    JMHO
    I put them in my 10-22's if they help or not I can not say for sure , I decided they cant hurt and the cost is cheep

True enough.
  • merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you should ask Joe!
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    JMHO

This is exactly why I use them. Make sense, can't hurt, don't cost much.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone here made some from urethane rod a while back. Can't find the right post.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes there is
    he sent me two pieces in a give away . I am embarrassed as I can not think of his name tonight . he bought lengths of the rod of the other auction site [:D] and cut them . I followed his lead and did the same with my other ones .. also I bought a couple that were metal but had a sleeve of urethane or rubber on them

quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    Someone here made some from urethane rod a while back. Can't find the right post.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO

^^^^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^^^

I have them in all my 10/22 rifles and while I can't say they help, they've never caused a failure either. If your "real hot ammo" is somewhere near the 17HM2 in pressure, I'd say to definitely use the buffer(maybe a heavy bolt knob, too).
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the Yellow Jacket ones but after a while they started to crack so I sent them back and they replaced them. But I now use he ones with the metal rods sleeved in urethane? They were sold as for the magnums.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never saw the need to install one, but I really don't shoot my 10-22 very often.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 22 is made of all steel.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    The hottest 22lr rounds go about 1250fps, but with lighter bullets. Unless you've modified your 10-22 to shoot 22-250s, I can't see a problem with or without a piece of rubber on the bolt stop.
    I got some Shok-Buff gear for an SKS, didn't see, feel or notice any difference over 1200 rounds or so.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    The hottest 22lr rounds go about 1250fps, but with lighter bullets. Unless you've modified your 10-22 to shoot 22-250s, I can't see a problem with or without a piece of rubber on the bolt stop.
    I got some Shok-Buff gear for an SKS, didn't see, feel or notice any difference over 1200 rounds or so.

1250? I've got some that approach 1700fps....