In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

still garbage picking!

gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
So I was out for a few beers and a bite to eat last night and I was coming home in the dark.
I have a neighbor getting ready to move and I grabbed 3 old Coleman lanterns, a cook stove, and gas catalytic heater......
Of course I already have all 3 of these items in Propane, but, what the hell! They don't take up too much room in the garage!

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Nice.
    I picked up four patio chairs this weekend.
    They are in good enough shape to keep at the fire pit I have down by the river.
    They cleaned up real nice.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweet find- no sense of wasting them. Now they can sit in your garage until you move, like my stuff in my garage.[:o)][:I]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    Sweet find- no sense of wasting them. Now they can sit in your garage until you move, like my stuff in my garage.[:o)][:I]

So true!
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Lord, don?t get me started. My wife and I are inveterate pickers, but she?s way worse than me. There?s a Goodwill store in the college town near us. She goes every other day, on average.
    It?s hard to believe the good stuff people discard, especially when school year ends in May.
    A week ago, we saw a rubber mat rolled up. I could tell it was some kind of pickup truck bed mat. Bought it for $3.99.
    It fit my 99F250 perfectly!
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    So I was out for a few beers and a bite to eat last night and I was coming home in the dark.
    I have a neighbor getting ready to move and I grabbed 3 old Coleman lanterns, a cook stove, and gas catalytic heater......
    Of course I already have all 3 of these items in Propane, but, what the hell! They don't take up too much room in the garage!

...for now, anyway! [:D]
    What's next?
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Lord, don?t get me started. My wife and I are inveterate pickers, but she?s way worse than me. There?s a Goodwill store in the college town near us. She goes every other day, on average.
    It?s hard to believe the good stuff people discard, especially when school year ends in May.
    A week ago, we saw a rubber mat rolled up. I could tell it was some kind of pickup truck bed mat. Bought it for $3.99.
    It fit my 99F250 perfectly!

I know some folks that do that at the local university.

They said this year they were going through the dumpsters and found a bunch of unopened envelopes - so they opened them.

I wonder what "Little Johnny" is going to say, when Grandma asked how he liked his birthday gift.

Yep, cash ($50 bill) in an unopened birthday card. [:D]
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today I came across a stack of drawers removed from a built-in application ... from an 1870s property near Penn campus. Now dorms for a cooking school. The drawers were falling apart but I salvaged six of the drawer bottoms. Single pieces of wood, like door panel, which fit in a groove on three sides, full thickness on the fourth - the back - side.

Three brass drawer pulls were taken but they do not operate very well. Years of use have bent the metal.

I'm guessing its all from 1870-1890 or so.
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    A week ago, we saw a rubber mat rolled up. I could tell it was some kind of pickup truck bed mat. Bought it for $3.99. It fit my 99F250 perfectly!

The thick OEM mat is $160 or so delivered. Good eye!
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ahhh no comment [:I][:I][:I][:I]
    I both my sons one day when I die , think of the auction they will have of all I have collected over the years [^]
    my youngest son "sure dad we have to pay some one to haul off all the junk [B)][B)][B)][B)]"

great finds
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    I both my sons one day when I die , think of the auction they will have of all I have collected over the years [^]
    my youngest son "sure dad we have to pay some one to haul off all the junk [B)][B)][B)][B)]"

great finds

Get a couple of $100 bills. Put them between the pages of some of your books.

Make them easy to find.

Tell the youngest son you have placed $10,000 in $100 bills in the books in your library.

Start buying books.

Imagine them looking through all of the books after they find the first bills.

Remember the goal is for them to remember you after you are gone. They need to remember you

- and the things you did

- and the things you said.

[:D]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

great finds

Make them easy to find.

Tell the youngest son you have placed $10,000 in $100 bills in the books in your library.

Start buying books.

Remember the goal is for them to remember you after you are gone. They need to remember you

- and the things you did

Brilliant idea!
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    many years ago I had some cousins who lived on what I think , well pretty sure was a old plantation , they rented a old shack / small house from the owners who lived in "the big house " there place was about 1/4 mile on past the main house ,
    any way I remember as a kid wondering what it must have looked like inside and what it must have been like to live in the old manor house a poor kid can only dream [:(]

cut to the chase many years went by and while visiting the cousins again the old couple had passed on there relatives ask for help to clean out the house and had my cousins to help this was 40 years ago at least
    they told me of the stuff in the house but thats another story
    and the library full of books they made a fire and were just tossing them on the pile
    over half way thru one book hit and skipped came open and yes it had cash in it they searched what was left and found money in more of the books but unknown how much was burned up before the discovery [B)][B)][B)]

quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

great finds

Make them easy to find.

Start buying books.

- and the things you did

• bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid one of our neighbors was an old woman who was a retired school teacher, we figured she was like most old people just getting by on her Social Security. We learned their was no point asking her if there was any yard work she would pay us to do, she did everything herself.
    When she died a woman hired to clean her house was emptying cabinets and drawers in the kitchen and she noticed a piece of string hanging down above a drawer when it was open, she thought it was a piece from the cloth she was using and gave the string a tug. Down came a large wad of several thousand dollars in cash. The people cleaning the house out had to go through every book page by page because they were finding cash including gold certificates hidden in them. They found thousands of dollars hidden through out the house and it turned out she was worth more than a millions bucks and she was too tight to really enjoy it. Some distant niece inherited almost everything.
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daughter lives in a gated mobile home park in FL and you would, maybe not, be amazed at what wealthy people toss to the curb!