In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Armadillo Wars - 2018

Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
Last night was a CD Music & Merlot Apothic RED Session out in my room, The Boonies. It was a great instrumentalist music session listening to Joe Satriani, Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra, Neal Schon, John Fahey, Peter Lang, and Leo Kottke. However, when I came back into the house after my listening session, I could see through the blinds that the backyard Armadillo Cam?s (my nickname for the Ring Floodlight Security Camera) Floodlights were on, so it had sensed motion in the backyard. Floodlights without the camera being activated usually means a critter, so I looked out and sure enough, there was an Armadillo nosing around the grass up near the porch. [:(!]

Armadillos can be very destructive to your yard, but since our Perm-O-Green Service did a treatment for lawn bugs and grubs this year, in addition to the weed and fertilizing treatments, we haven?t had the usual Summertime Armadillo problem and it didn?t look like this guy was finding anything to tear our lawn up for; unlike past years. I don?t think this is the beginning of Armadillo Wars 2018, but just in case I got my trusty old Winchester Model 04 Single Shot 22, two 22 Shorts, my Surefire Light, and outside I went (11pm in my nightclothes). I found him on the South side of our house sniffing for grubs and when I got to a good angle for a safe shot, one shot and DRT! I moved it off the lawn and down to the edge of the woods so that either our occasional visiting Cougar or Bobcat or Coyotes could have a free meal; or worse case I?d carry it off into the woods today.

Unfortunately, none of our predators visited last night. [V] So, this morning I put on my carcass moving grubbies and moved it back into the woods; dirty job done and I was back to my morning coffee!!!!! [:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Possum on the half-shell. So far this week, we?ve caught 3 possums and missed a fourth in our chicken pen. Took them across the river and turned them loose.
    Durned egg suckers.[:(!]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]

edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D]

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] Those thieving predators bent on living off of hard working people need to be hung in the woods as a testament to what happens to their kind. On second thought, you could dress them out in red leggings to boot! [:D]

Good morning, Bill!
    What's next?
    edited November -1

Good morning to you too, James!

Yeah, those thieving bastages!!! [:(!] They might not be hung in the woods, but their carcasses are laying out there as a statement and free meal for needy scavengers! [:D]

However, on a positive note, it looks like the Perm-O-Green Grub & Bug treatment is working and those pests aren't finding anything in the lawn to dig up! If they show up and start sniffing around, Armadillo Cam and the little Winchester Model 04 might lead to their demise! [:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

Good morning to you too, James!

Yeah, those thieving bastages!!! [:(!] They might not be hung in the woods, but their carcasses are laying out there as a statement and free meal for needy scavengers! [:D]

However, on a positive note, it looks like the Perm-O-Green Grub & Bug treatment is working and those pests aren't finding anything in the lawn to dig up! If they show up and start sniffing around, Armadillo Cam and the little Winchester Model 04 might lead to their demise! [:D]

[:D] Better yet!

I might have to try a similar service to keep the Dillas(?) and Possums out, myself! Racoons? [:D]
    What's next?
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won?t win this WAR.

Armadillo?s come in groups of four, so there are three more to deal with, and they always have a litter of four, all the same sex.

They don?t give up easy. The best way I know to keep them out is to fence in your yard, and have a Pit Bull that patrols the inside parameter. Pit?s have been used for Dillo eradication for years with some success.

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    Trinity, there's a lot of truth to what you are saying; I usually kill 4-5 a year during the active periods when they leave the dry woods in search of food in Irrigated Lawns! [:0]

While the lawn treatment won't stop them from showing up, I'm encouraged that they don't seem to be digging, so they aren't sniffing out their usual food supply of Grubs. [^]

Also, four of us neighbors are "Active Armadillo Eradicators", so those three more Dillas will have to survive going through four yards; we compare score cards! [:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    I might have to try a similar service to keep the Dillas(?) and Possums out, myself! Racoons? [:D]James, I certainly can't make any promises, but while the treatment doesn't keep the critters out of our yard, it does appear to stop their digging because they aren't finding what they're looking for!!!!! We might see a spot or two, but not what used to look like Carpet Bombing of the yard! [:0]

Interestingly, Armadillo Cam has captured video of Moths, Wasps, Birds, Possums, Raccoons, Skunks, and Spiders; but never an Armadillo. My theory is that the Armadillo's Shell is shielding it from the IR sensor! [:0] [:D]

• TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    I might have to try a similar service to keep the Dillas(?) and Possums out, myself! Racoons? [:D]James, I certainly can't make any promises, but while the treatment doesn't keep the critters out of our yard, it does appear to stop their digging because they aren't finding what they're looking for!!!!! We might see a spot or two, but not what used to look like Carpet Bombing of the yard! [:0]

Interestingly, Armadillo Cam has captured video of Moths, Wasps, Birds, Possums, Raccoons, Skunks, and Spiders; but never an Armadillo. My theory is that the Armadillo's Shell is shielding it from the IR sensor! [:0] [:D]

Funny stuff, Bill!!!!!!! [:D]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    This an informative video of facts about the Armadillo...[^]

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtruefacts/videos/2091112434468196/UzpfSTEwMDAwMDUxMTAzNDA3NzoxODgzOTc4Njk1MjQ0MTYw/

Trinity +++

[:D]
    What's next?