In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for gunsmiths.

jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
I have an American Gun co 410 hammer shotgun made in about 1911. It has fluid steel barrels and is chambered for 2 1'2" shells. If I chamber it for 3" shells do you think it will stand the extra pressure?? The barrels are in super shape and it has mirror bores.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not?? What could go wrong??
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the thickness of the barrels. A professional gunsmith will tell you yes or no.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No expert here, BUT I would NOT chamber the gun to 3" and shoot them,
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact Ballistic Products and ask if they know the max chamber pressure the gun is safe with. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/

that's the route I went with my Husqvarna Mod 20. They'll even e-mail you some load recipes if you ask.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Why not?? What could go wrong??
    [:0]
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3" would raise chamber pressures quite a bit. I would not risk it. I have an old Parker 12 gauge that has 2 5/8" chambers and I won't even shoot 2 3/4" in it even though Parker put out information that it was safe to do so. Found some 2 1/2" Kent and that is what I use. Buy the 2 1/2" 410 loads and shoot what it was intended to use.
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To much pressur. You can reload for your 12 ga.

Rob
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jerry, keep in mind that when it was made, the hulls were paper and used a roll crimp on a cardboard wad. Modern day plastic hulls with a star crimp, open up deeper into the forcing cone. That causes a quick pressure spike. I would stick to the 2.5" shells, but have a smith run a modern 2.5" chamber reamer in it, and lengthen the forcing cones while he's at it. Easier on the gun, and you.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second Trap's suggestion, in fact I did the same with one from the 1970s.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel contour can also be an issue in some guns, and adding the extra depth can run you into thinner material. I would leave it alone. The 3 inch shot patterns on .410 are not generally that much better than the 2 &1/2 inch anyway.
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not going to chamber it out to 3". I don't think I want to ruin a good old antique 410. I might as well just shoot the 16 or the 20 ga.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you're leaving it alone![;)]
    I shoot an old original Marlin 410 Lever Action that only takes 2 1/2" shells. It's a gas to shoot!