In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Saved from self driving trucks, for now

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
It seems that Uber is going to focus on just killing folks with cars for now

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/uber-suspends-self-driving-truck-effort-focus-autonomous-cars

SAN FRANCISCO ? Uber announced July 30 that it was, for now, parking its effort to develop commercially viable self-driving trucks in order to focus on bringing autonomous cars to its service.

?We recently took the important step of returning to public roads in Pittsburgh,? Eric Meyhofer, head of Uber Advanced Technologies Group, said in a statement provided to USA TODAY. ?As we look to continue that momentum, we believe having our entire team?s energy and expertise focused on this effort is the best path forward.?

Uber?s self-driving efforts took a big hit earlier this year when one of its Volvo SUVs equipped with autonomous sensors failed to detect a pedestrian crossing the street in a Phoenix suburb. The Volvo?s safety driver also did not react in time, leading to the death of Elaine Herzberg, 49.

In the aftermath, Uber halted all of its self-driving programs and was denied permission to resume such testing by Arizona?s governor. Uber?s self-driving trucks were testing in Arizona. The company only recently resumed car testing in Pennsylvania, where the ATG division is based.

Uber?s trucking efforts were kicked off when then-CEO Travis Kalanick made a deal in 2016 with former Google car veteran Anthony Levandowski to buy Otto, Levandowski?s months-old self-driving truck start-up, for around $680 million.

But last year, amid a series of corporate scandals related to Uber?s culture and tactics that saw Kalanick depart, Waymo filed suit against Uber, claiming that Levandowski had stolen thousands of proprietary files related to Waymo?s lidar sensor technology, which helps a vehicle see its environment via lasers.

Uber maintained that it did not use any stolen material to develop lidar, and fired Levandowski. When the case finally went to trial, it took just one week for Uber?s lawyers to settle the case for around $245 million in Uber stock ? with no admission of guilt.

Comments

• IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love a self driving car that I could trust. I am along way from being able to trust one but for what I do for a living it would be great.
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting for Jetsons type mode of transportation. Self driving cars are already obsolete.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jetson like...check out... OPENER Blackfly....AWESOME...i want one
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wonder if a plate on the door sill of self driving vehicles will boldly state " maker declares use of this vehicle on public avenues and private property absolves them of ANY and ALL liability" ?????
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    jetson like...check out... OPENER Blackfly....AWESOME...i want one

Yea right,...dumb * people can't drive cars safely, so I can only imagine what it would be like to see them try and fly in numbers.[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Lonnie I thought you'd be all for them! Consider: self driving vehicles are BETTER at navigating the roads than the bottom half of drivers. Who drives the worst? Swift drivers, right? So, if these things are BETTER than swift drivers, it would only be an improvement, right?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain