In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

front brake replacement

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
I am thinking about replacing my front rotors and pads today on my T-hoe, unless someone else wants to come over and do it for me? [:D]

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    After 45yrs twisting wrenches....................

no thanks [^]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I pulled rotors, it took longer to lift and support than to do the job.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you don't let the caliper hang by the brake hose. I'll be thinking of you as I load more .223 ammo today.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went outside to head to the dump and parts store. The temp changed my mind, think it can wait until spring!! [8D]
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how much beer ya got????????????????
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    how much beer ya got????????????????

None, I don't drink. [;)] Though the Super Bowl is one of those yearly events in which it would be nice to have a few cold ones.
  • Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure to use jack stands!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    The last time I pulled rotors, it took longer to lift and support than to do the job.

You havent lived untill you do calipers, rotors and brakes on a full sized motorcoach that has air disc brakes! Them sumbeeches are friggin heavy!!
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps

That's good advice. I pulled my neighbors dead cold body from underneath his car that fell on him while he was under it using, of all things, 2 bumper jacks to jack up the front end of the car and no jack stands. It was terrible. I have so many jack stands under my car when I'm working on it that there's hardly any room to work on it.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What year?

Probably need a T55 Torx to break the floating caliper bolts. Once you do that, press the pistons in, it's a quick swap.

Took all of 10min a side on my Escalade including pulling/remounting the wheels/tires.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    WARNING: Do NOT USE CMU's AS JACK STANDS![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

That's good advice. I pulled my neighbors dead cold body from underneath his car that fell on him while he was under it using, of all things, 2 bumper jacks to jack up the front end of the car and no jack stands. It was terrible. I have so many jack stands under my car when I'm working on it that there's hardly any room to work on it.

Sept 2009 I was crushed under a Camaro that I was removing the transmission out of. My wife saved my life, and I spent quite a bit of time recovering from the injuries. So I require no reminding about properly securing a vehicle while it is lifted off the ground. I will have permanent nerve damage in my back to remind me for the rest of my life. [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover G16
    What year?

Probably need a T55 Torx to break the floating caliper bolts. Once you do that, press the pistons in, it's a quick swap.

Took all of 10min a side on my Escalade including pulling/remounting the wheels/tires.

caliper bolts should be 19mm, and the caliper bracket bolts should be 18mm.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

You havent lived untill you do calipers, rotors and brakes on a full sized motorcoach that has air disc brakes! Them sumbeeches are friggin heavy!!

Watched them do that on a garbage truck at work once, forklift anyone.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Sept 2009 I was crushed under a Camaro that I was removing the transmission out of. My wife saved my life, and I spent quite a bit of time recovering from the injuries. So I require no reminding about properly securing a vehicle while it is lifted off the ground. I will have permanent nerve damage in my back to remind me for the rest of my life. [;)]

WOW!! [:0] You are lucky to be here I would say. At least your wife didn't have to pull you out from under the car blue and cold.

I can still hear my neighbors girl friend screaming in my mind from that day when she found him under the car. [:(] Me and another neighbor gave him CPR until the ambulance got there. I knew it was not doing any good because I could hear air going some place other than in his lungs. We kept doing it anyway just in case. I wouldn't want someone to give up on me so we didn't give up on him.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch a u tube B 4 doing may save some agrivation...

Just did the pads on my H3 no problems after watching some others on utube.[:D]
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No thanks, just helped my son put front pads on his Isuzu Trooper this pm. [8D]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to do some of my own work. Last time I went to change oil, even at Wal-mart prices 5 quarts of oil and Filter was about 20 bucks. After driving onto the ramps I drug to the driveway from the shed, sliding underneath the truck on the cold concrete, the drain plug was so tight I dang near skinned my knuckles to the bone. Filled the dang oil container and replaced the filter, cleaned up and took the oil to the recycle. decided for 26 bucks Jiffy Lube can have me staring them down next time.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    gravy job

[:D]
    What's next?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

Ya got to be careful watching stuff on you tube. I need to pull some dry cylinder liners, and was looking on there to see if anybody had any cool tricks. Mostly what I saw was a bunch of hick rubes. I wouldn't let some of those clowns mow my grass.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the best tools i bought was a carlift....
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've done it a few times. Depends on what needs done as to how easy or hard it is.

If just swapping out pads, pretty easy job.

I've also done rotors and calipers. Little harder, but still not a problem.

If you gotta bleed the brakes, best have someone help you. Having someone on the pedal while you bleed the valve is a big plus.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I've done it a few times. Depends on what needs done as to how easy or hard it is.

If just swapping out pads, pretty easy job.

I've also done rotors and calipers. Little harder, but still not a problem.

If you gotta bleed the brakes, best have someone help you. Having someone on the pedal while you bleed the valve is a big plus.

If he has AB its not straight and simple even pushing the Pucks in so the new pads fit could cause problems.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a great deal of trepidation, I set out to do the same on my Nissan pickup.
    It was easy!
    I just did the pads, didn't mess with the rotors, as the truck was nearly rusted in two, and was headed to the crusher in about 4 months.

As for doing CPR on the crushed guy, I don't blame you, you tried your best.
    I was a paramedic for 14 years and have done CPR on hundreds of patients.
    You were working what we call a "trauma arrest." Cardiac arrest caused by trauma. Could be gunshots, could be falling off a cliff, could be crushed under a car.
    CPR never works in a trauma arrest.
    CPR almost never works in any circumstances. We paramedics were always puzzled at how the Red Cross always pushed CPR classes. We figured that, somehow, the Red Cross make a bunch of money off of pushing CPR.
    We paramedics called CPR "The greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American public.'

If I did CPR on 500 patients, and I surely did, probalby 15 of them recovered to the extent to walk out of the hospital. Most of those were heart attacks in the ER, or on the scene where paramedics were already attending to the patient, where CPR was only done for a minute or two, and then the patient was defibrillated and sprang back to life. In those cases, the patient would have done just as well without CPR. The medical standard is that the brain can go 4 minutes without oxygen before brain damage begins, therefore, if a person got 2 minutes of CPR, then got defibrillated and restored to life, the CPR was of no use. Except, the CPR patient had 4 broken ribs.

Broken ribs are a common side effect of CPR. Broken ribs can lacerate the lungs, cause a punctured lung, and cause death. Broken ribs can even lacerate the heart and cause death.
    You ought to hear the ribs cracking and breaking on an 80 year old granny who has died of a heart attack, when you are doing CPR on her, it will make your skin crawl.

Ribs of an older patient are especially brittle, and will break easily. On the other hand, you can do CPR on a 20 year old young man for an hour, and not break a single rib. Very flexible ribs in the young patient.

The one case in which I would do CPR is if you had a healthy young guy who got shocked, like, a lineman who got shocked on a power pole. Or, if a young person had drowned, you could save their life with CPR, no doubt about it, IF you began CPR within one or two minutes after the cardiac arrest began. Might save those patients.

ps You ought to see my living will. Filed it with my brother, who is a lawyer. It says "NO CPR."
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rotors and pads on a Tahoe in this cold would be a piece of cake compared to changing a water pump on a Cavalier.. [:(][:(]
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny just did that on Friday on my '94 Caprice. A friend of mine was supervising me so I did as he said. Got new discs and dude told me to push out the new "races" (I think that's what those rings were called in the rotors). Didn't get it since he made me get National berrings and those things I pushed out. He was saying the Chinese crap that came with the rotor was crap. But the National (now made in China) was better. Yeah I didn't get it either and it just seemed like more work.

So now I got new E-brakes, front and back rotors, shoes and Caliper Pins (the rear were a * to take out and the fronts are about 1/4" shorter than the ones I took out). But I still got the odd grinding/ching-a-ling sound still. I thought that was the old E-Brakes jangling but it's not so. Like me my car makes odd noises [:D].
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

Ya got to be careful watching stuff on you tube. I need to pull some dry cylinder liners, and was looking on there to see if anybody had any cool tricks. Mostly what I saw was a bunch of hick rubes. I wouldn't let some of those clowns mow my grass.

The brake jobs on youtube by actual mechanics are pretty straight forward and consistent. I watched a couple to brush up on things I might have forgot from doing a rotor/pad replacement years ago on my Silverado.