In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

20% of American boys diagnosed with ADHD before HS

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
http://www.esquire.com/features/drugging-of-the-american-boy-0414

The Drugging of the American Boy
"By the time they reach high school, nearly 20 percent of all American boys will be diagnosed with ADHD. Millions of those boys will be prescribed a powerful stimulant to "normalize" them. A great many of those boys will suffer serious side effects from those drugs. The shocking truth is that many of those diagnoses are wrong, and that most of those boys are being drugged for no good reason-simply for being boys. It's time we recognize this as a crisis."

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While I DO think that incidents of ADD and ADHD are on the rise due to all the preservatives and crap in our food, I think most diagnoses of it are just the feminization of society and a desire to not let boys be boys. A generation has grown up not knowing how to handle a boy to turn him into a man.

I know when I was bouncing off the walls in grade school and didn't want to sit still or do my homework, my dad cracked me in the butt a few times and I settled right down. In school when I was acting up- which wasn't common as I was a pretty serious student- the horrid old battleaxe teachers knew how to put me in my place... and this was post paddling, which had gone out of style years before. A week with no recess spent cleaning the boards and scraping chewing gum off the bottom of desks and stuff while everyone else was out having fun did wonders.

For real hard cases, the teacher had a desk right next to hers. She'd make students come sit THERE and do their work. The shame of it meant few had to sit there more than once.

When people say they have ADD or ADHD, I ask them a simple question. "What's your favorite TV show?" (Fill in X here). "Ok, can you sit and watch that for an hour without getting squirrely?"

99 percent of the time the answer is yes.

To which I say, "You don't have ADD or ADHD then, you just get easily bored and have a lot of energy."
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    While I DO think that incidents of ADD and ADHD are on the rise due to all the preservatives and crap in our food, I think most diagnoses of it are just the feminization of society and a desire to not let boys be boys. A generation has grown up not knowing how to handle a boy to turn him into a man.

I know when I was bouncing off the walls in grade school and didn't want to sit still or do my homework, my dad cracked me in the butt a few times and I settled right down. In school when I was acting up- which wasn't common as I was a pretty serious student- the horrid old battleaxe teachers knew how to put me in my place... and this was post paddling, which had gone out of style years before. A week with no recess spent cleaning the boards and scraping chewing gum off the bottom of desks and stuff while everyone else was out having fun did wonders.

For real hard cases, the teacher had a desk right next to hers. She'd make students come sit THERE and do their work. The shame of it meant few had to sit there more than once.

When people say they have ADD or ADHD, I ask them a simple question. "What's your favorite TV show?" (Fill in X here). "Ok, can you sit and watch that for an hour without getting squirrely?"

99 percent of the time the answer is yes.

To which I say, "You don't have ADD or ADHD then, you just get easily bored and have a lot of energy."

Yep now your dad would be in Jail for Child Abuse.
    [:(!]
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, if I was growing up now, I would be medicated, back then, not so much [:D]
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have ADD and it is not fun sometimes. I never took meds for it but I just have a hard time following a conversation sometimes and comprehending some things. I have learned to overcome and adapt to it and have been very successful in life and business.I was also able to skip a grade in HS and graduate early. Oakie
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad had a sure fire cure for Attention Deficit disorder, his hand smacking the heck out of my *.

Always seemed to get my attention back in order.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad had a sure fire cure for Attention Deficit disorder, his hand smacking the heck out of my *.

Always seemed to get my attention back in order.

And repeated as often as necessary.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure wish I had some of that ritalin they gave me as a kid. I Bet I could get all kind of work done around the house.[8D]
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that the same as 80HD?????
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    No that is 1080P
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Feminists and Liberals are running the schools. They don't like masculine men, and they don't like boys that act like boys.
    They are doping up the little boys, to try to turn them into little girls.

God knows, if I were 9 years old today, I would be diagnosed ADHD and they would have me on that dope.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    many parents want their boys to have a label and be medicated. The service will not accept a soldier that has taken Ritalin or any other add or adhd drug.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    We just called it not paying attention.

It became ADD when a drug was developed that could be sold to somehow "correct" it.

I think it is a manufactured disorder by the pharmaceuticals.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ritalin is fun stuff.

Seriously, I think too many diagnose it when children are energetic.

That said, it's not a cure, but an aid. If you think it is a cure, you will be disappointed.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I most likely have it just never official been checked . I can never sit still or stay focused with out getting bored and my mind start wondering ,
    and yes I had my * beat at home and school on a regular basis , never helped a bit only got my * sore . never got any better for me . now no * beatings just a wife who yells [:D]
    but I think a lot of kids including our nieces and nephews were on drugs before they really had a chance just kids being kids sometimes , just a way for the parents and teachers to be able to control the kid easier ?
    I think its a issue but not worth drugging all those kids over
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It often seems to be a learned behavior.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think.. all those get free govt. money because of their disability
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    We diagnosed our boys with ABS (American Boy Syndrome).

We go shootin or workin often to help with the symptoms.

I love home-schooling!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lot of money in this for marginal doctors and psychologists..
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank god the ADHD craze started after I was out of school, cause they would have drugged the crap out of me. I was hyper and easily bored, still am. Once I learned to self medicate with alcohol, life has been good ever since :)
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my brother was in 2nd or 3rd grade the teacher actually tied him to his desk. That teacher probably would not do well in the public education system of today.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    The school tried forcing us to put are son on adhd meds. We spent several thousand dollars in testing with his seizure docs to prove to them that is was just a condition form his epilepsy and adhd meds wouldn't do much good. Wouldn't have put him on them anyway. Read way to many bad things about those drugs. School also tried telling us we had to switch his diastat kit he has ( used for emergancy in case of seizure lasting more then 3 min) to some new nasal spray stuff. Talked to his doc and he said the stuff is to new and they didn't make a predialed kit for it yet. It would have to be measured out before administering it and should only be done by someone with training. After a very nasty note from his doc the school decided to let his doc decide whats best for him.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    [^]quote:Originally posted by MaxOHMS
    We diagnosed our boys with ABS (American Boy Syndrome).

We go shootin or workin often to help with the symptoms.

I love home-schooling!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I believe that was the Harley they advertised as having an "AUTOMATIC CHAIN OILER"...
    Them AMF's sure would leave a puddle in the driveway..[;)]

On a more serious note,I have to believe that a lot of these diagnoses are entirely made just to sell more meds..[:(]
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    Just a thought: when were teachers and principals stopped from being allowed to smack a kid with a yard stick or paddle? Now, when did the ADD & ADHD rates go up. I wonder...
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day, if my Dad caught wind that I'd gotten into trouble at school...
    He made damn sure I knew, that HE KNEW.

For several years, he took me to school on the first day.
    Dropped me off and proceeded to the principals office to meet him.
    His ONLY comment was this...
    "Mr. Principal, If Robert needs to be corrected, you do what you need to
    but be sure you let me know what, why, and how."
    "I'll make sure you only have to do it only once."

That was always the worse thing too. To be called (or sent) to the principals office.
    Knowing that Dad was gonna be told everything, then later, you'd go through it ALL over again.