In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First Time In My Life

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
I am without having a living Grandparent.
I admit that I was spoiled.
I had one Great Grandma til age 10 and another Great Grandma til age 18.
On one side of the family, my Mom's dad died when I was 22. Her mom died when I was 25.
My Dad's dad died when I was 35. And now, my dad's mom has passed. She was 92. I am now 45.
It really comes as no great surprise that a 92 year old dies but, it does not make it any easier.
I was with her hours before she left us. I held her hand and I told her that we loved her.
She was a great woman. She raised my dad alone while my grandpa was off fighting in WWII.
She was a farmers wife.
She dealt with losing her youngest son while he was only 10 years old.
She made it through losing my grandpa and then 2 years later dealt with the death of my father.
I took over taking care of her and the things around the house that my grandpa did and then my dad did.
I will not only miss her but, the "chores" that I did for her.
I know that she is in a better place and that she is with the family.

Comments

• NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    [:(][:(]i feel your pain hang in there[:(][:(][:(][:(][:)]
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Sympathies, here, it's an odd feeling.

No more Great Grand Parents. Very long time gone.
    No more Grand Parents. Last one gone 15 years.
    No more Parents. Last one gone eleven years.

Various other relations long gone. Have not seen an uncle or aunt or cousin alive in a decade really.

Sometimes I find myself remembering and picturing these many people. Good times and bad. Feels distant ... like a long trip, a real journey, not just the years.

Very odd feeling when you stop to think about it.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a sister that lives near by and a couple of uncles and their families that are 6 hours away.
    With Grandma passing, I just now really feel alone.
    I just feel now that I am the last Craig.
    My sister was the first girl born under the Craig name in 3 generations.
    I ended up the only Grandson from 3 Craig sons on my Grandpa's side.
    My son is the only one from my grandpa's family to carry on the Craig name.
    From my Grandpa's brothers side, Allen Craig, the now Boston Red Sox player, is the other hope to carry on the Craig name.
    It is not only losing the chance of the name lineage dying out but, just the loss of family.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. God will bless you for honoring your Father and Mother
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am very sorry for your tremendous loss. I totally understand where you are coming from. I had all my great grandparents until I was in my twenties and one great grandfather when I was 32. He was 106 and I was named after him. I still have both of my parents, but all my grand parents are now gone. I lost both of my grandmothers in 2011 when I was 49. They lived a long good life and they all met my son.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Remember, you will always have your GB family in your time of Loss. God Bless and may your grandmother rest in peace as she dwells in our fathers kingdom with our lord and her husband and children. Your GB Friend, John Taggart.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were blessed. I lost my last grandparent when I was 23. Now I just have my Mom. Dad has been gone almost 10 years. Seems like a lifetime, and just yesterday all at once.

I am sorry for your loss, and send my family's prayers to you and your's.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am very sorry for your loss . just cherish the time you did have and pass along her stories to your family . she sure sounded like a great Lady and had here share of hardships along the way . may she RIP

I never met my great grandparents they were gone before I came along. I sure wish I had just to here there stories . I lost my grandparents when I was very young and remember vey little of them I lost , my dad 12 years ago my mom is still with us but the last 5 years she does not know it ( outwardly any way maybe deep in her mind she realizes it )
    I am fast becoming the oldest living member of my dads and moms direct families , Its difficult to think that where did all thet time go
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    My condolences. I am down to one uncle on my fathers side and two uncles on my mothers side. They are WWII vets so I won't get much more time with them.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one living grandparent left but I will not go to see her, I just do not want to see her the way she is. She is in her 90s and her mind is gone, she doesnt know anyone and Dad told me she lost a lot of weight. I would rather remember her as she was, a strong woman who brought so much joy to us growing up. I think about her all the time and dread the day Dad calls.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am saddened to hear of your terrible loss.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My grandfather in PA was a WWII vet, loved to spend time with us when we was little, shooting, fishing, camping ect ect. Grandpa in OH was a different man, his name was amd to this day the family name is still well known in the area. He was feared and respected, a no BS man who protected his family and made it known that to hurt family would be the end of you. With all the crime that has surfaced in the area our family farm is one place that is not touched.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older we get the more we all have to deal with loss. One thing I found that made me feel much closer to members of my family that I had met or not was working on the Genealogy chart.
    Sorry for your loss and may you find the strength to move forward.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    First Time In My Life....

i am the oldest living member of our clan.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One aunt and first cousins are the closest relatives I have. Given all the family problems groused about here, perhaps I am better off.

I have some really good GunBroker family though.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Lord please help comfort my friend in this time. Amen
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

You are now the Craig family patriarch. Lead well, and best wishes.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of us here are at the age we go to more funerals than weddings . Prayer sent for your loss.Time does make it better. All my grandparents have been a long gone .Last grand mother died more than 29 years ago.My Mom died 3 years ago .Have one maternal aunt left otherwise it is just the cousins .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your great loss, I feel for you it was very hard on me when my grand mother died. Prayers and god bless.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    One aunt and first cousins are the closest relatives I have. Given all the family problems groused about here, perhaps I am better off.

I have some really good GunBroker family though.

Hey, you don't know, we could be brothers from different mothers.[;)]
    standard.jpg
  • Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am so blessed to not have to experience a family death. This includes EVERYONE alive since I have been born. Prayers to you and your family.