In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt navy 1851 36 cal

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
finally took it all apart today. I cleaned and inspected all the parts. Everything looks okay. I put it back together and the damn cylinder locks up after the first time pulling the trigger. Just dry firing it. When i go to cock the hammer back a second time, the cylinder locks tight and the hammer will only go back about 1/4". It seems the hand wont release the cylinder to spin. It works fine if I remover the barrel and mover the cylinder forward about an 1/8" but that should be like that. Bad news is I found a crack in the frame where the hammer comes to a rest. I was thinking of getting a whole replacement kit for it. All the internal parts. The crack is small, but it has me worried.Oakie.

cn.jpg

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a problem revolver. I especially don't like the looks of that crack.

I am seeing these guns, by Pietta, new in box for $220 over on the auction side.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree its not safe , If you keep it make a shadow box or desk display out of it maybe disable it so no one down the road tries to fire it .
    ALSO lots of them get parted out on flebay if you looking to rebuild it
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Been DRY FIRED TOO MUCH [?]
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    It will cost more to repair the gun than to buy a good used one, unless it is an original.

It's original and belongs to my brother in law. He actually gave it to me, but I have no interest, since I already own two of them.This one was made in 1943. very sad. I saw rebuilt kits for 55 dollars, but that cracked frame has me worried. Okay, she is going to become a wall hanger. Thanks.Oakie
    edited November -1
    1943 ?

I will try to get a picture of the date. My peepers suck[;)], but that is what it looks like. I could be wrong. Let me go check and I will try to post a pic. Oakie
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would file the crack down about 1/8 and fill with tgi welder them file excess metal an bam as good as new.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
    edited November -1
    OMFG my peepers are bad. The date on the cylinder says 1943. It is also a 44 caliber, NOT a 36. [B)][B)][B)] Gun is absolutely beautiful and I would love to shoot it. I am going to see if I can get the frame repaired for him by a gunsmith friend. Might cost me some 22lr, but that is okay. The more I look at this gun, the more I am intrigued.

Let me ask this, why would they put a mfg date on the cylinder? I never saw that on any gun before. I would think it would be on the frame. It has a lot of proof marks on it and everything has a serial number. It is not a reproduction, in my opinion, but I could be wrong[?] The picture does not show like I thought it would, sorry.Oakie

cyl1.jpg
    edited November -1
    If it's a 44, it's the Army model.

We are talking cap and ball, right ?

I can't really tell what the cylinder markings say, but if original they stopped making those things in the early 1870's at the latest.

Maybe a serial number ?

The barrel assy, frame, cylinder and trigger guard are factory numbered.
    edited November -1
    If it's a 44, it's the Army model.

We are talking cap and ball, right ?

I can't really tell what the cylinder markings say, but if original they stopped making those things in the early 1870's at the latest.

Maybe a serial number ?

The barrel assy, frame, cylinder and trigger guard are factory numbered.

All numbers match on the frame and barrel. Number is as follows- B61502. The only markings on the cylinder id Patent No and then it says-ay 19, 1943.

coltn.jpg

coltn1.jpg
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a repro not an original.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    That's a repro not an original.

Thanks. I got that bad feeling. Nice gun to play with though. Not real complicated and not a lot of parts on them. Really a kind of simple made gun