In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help locating someone

jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Several years ago, I spent a summer in Hattiesberg, MS. working.
I got aquainted with a crane operator on the job site, who also made custom knives.
I would like to find him again, but really have no clue where to start.
I do have an old phone # that is no longer in service.
I know there are ways to hunt people down, but have no clue where to start.
I've been buying a few knives again, and would like to add some more of his to my collection.
Google has about a million hits on his name.
If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Comments

• MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    If I see him, I'll tell him to look you up.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might be able to go to whitepages.com and do a reverse lookup with the old phone# you have
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Play around on www.anywho.com for awhile.

I'm sending this to you so that you can follow-up immediate and see where it takes you. I can give you some more suggestions or pointers that I have used. And yeah, I've hunted down quite a few folks over the years.

There are many ways of putting in the request or the search. Some may not even find you, your self. Or someone that you alredy know the whereabouts of.

If you have specific questions ... drop me a email or give me your phone number through an email and I will call you ASAP.

Yeah, I have a couple of more ways you may want or need to go.

best, Alan
    edited November -1
    danielgage

Good idea! I often do that ... start writing a response to a question, and it gets answered as I hunt and peck on the keyboard here! Your idea there could crack o[pen the info wanted.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Was this a UNION job[?] lf yes contact operating engineers' local that covers that area
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    also do a search under say, cutom knives, see if that route would lead back to him.
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    also do a search under say, cutom knives, see if that route would lead back to him.

Found his name in a custom knifemakers book I found online, had same old phone # I have.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you have his name and city, do a propery search, or public records search for the city...see what happens when you type in his name...get the addy, check it against the addy listed in property appraisal records...by the way, the telephone number is usually listed too..

br, not classic...still havent logged him out
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jamesjo

Found his name in a custom knifemakers book I found online, had same old phone # I have.

Take it to the next level. Search where he may sell his knifes. Like say,try, Gunbroker auction,and search custom knifes. See if you can find him through his products. Good luck.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jamesjo

Take it to the next level. Search where he may sell his knifes. Like say,try, Gunbroker auction,and search custom knifes. See if you can find him through his products. Good luck.

Yeah, tried this already, but thanks!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zabasearch.com
    edited November -1
    jamesjo

Well you and a couple of the guys had the idea of following regarding the knives. Most of the knifesmiths belong to more than one knifesmithing guild, association, society, alumni group, etc.

Many are on quite a range of groups they seem to group together guite well.

Also the type of knives that he is known for ... can often broaden the target well for you.

Japanese blade styles,
    bowie
    Gothic,
    damascus
    patterned steel

Knowing knives, you probably know this sort of thing, but just brain storming some here.

Oh, also if he went to a particular school ... many of the schools and the students, stay in touch. And if he apprentised with anyone you know of ... that can be a great path.
    edited November -1
    Alan,
    Don't really know knives, just like them, and after I met him and saw some of his work, I kid of fell in love.
    No schooling, self taught.
    Builds anything, from paring knife, to Bowie, to some awesome hatchets.
    No rush, but I will try a couple of your ideas tomorrow.
    Then I may email you and see if you can help me out.
    Heck, he could be dead by now.
  • MikkeyMikkey Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do not want to pay for reverse lookup, you can share the number and I will lookup it with the service I have a subscription at - http://www.reversephonelookup.us. Although if the number is out of service for a long time, the database records for it might be updated which decreases your chances to succeed. You may want to search for that name and number in Google, include all info you know into the query...
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Send him a letter on the old adress - telling him you want to contact him.

But leave out your return adress on the outside.!!

Let the postal office find him [;)]
  • surjo666surjo666 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found one my old friends using www.findermind.com . You can look into it.
    edited November -1
    jamesjo

Meant to suggest that you do a search of the professional knife makers organizations. If there are any that he belongs to, that would be an avenue to approach or follow. They have membership rosters with all contact information, plus background etc. Now that may or may not included the gentleman in question.

If he did not belong to the organization and he were into one or more of the unique specialized styles, often fellow knife makers will know other individuals doing that sort of blades.

Who would have hired this crane operator for that job?

Do you recall if he was a local or a traveler?

Did he talk of his hometown or area that he hung out around?

Ex-military?

Any particular schools?

Was he into anything besides: cranes, knives and converstion?

I believe it was mentioned but I'm sure that crane operators must have specialized professional organizations, unions, hiring lists, etc, etc.

You better be working on this harder than all of us! ??? [}:)] [:)] [;)]

Unless you are too afraid of too much interest in his stuff, you ought consider giving us a follow-up regarding this knifemaker and his finished product. [;)] [?]
    edited November -1
    jamesjo

I went back through this thread looking some ... I do not see that you posted his name anywhere. I'd not think that is frowned on, but either try that or shoot it through the moderators.

Someone in the neighborhood may know or recognize the gentleman in question. Sometimes people will know the individual through some other interest or means.

He could be into some facet of firearms, shooting, hunting, woodwork, other metalwork, etc. as with our member here, forgemonkey.

You might look him up here and throw him an email. I don't want to commit anyone else to anything, but I'm sure he might have other ideas and probably better ideas and means than yours truly.
    edited November -1
    Question re. the knife maker:

1.) What do you mean by "custom" do you just or simply mean handmade or actual custom work with customers' designs, specifications, and such?

2.) Did he only do "stock-removal", more or less like whittling the metal by cut, grind and filework, or

3.) Did he "forge-work", like you quessed it using a forge, anvil, hammers and such paraphernalia. Heating and pounding it towards what he wanted?

If he is not well known, like famous, or due to some particular style or type ... the folks then that do forgework ... can be a bit easier to locate. Many of them are members of:

www.knifemakersguild.com

http://www.knifemakersdatabase.com/CustomKnivesKnifemakersDB.html

If he does forgework, then there are national and regional and even state organizations of blacksmiths and blacksmithing. They tend to tie together more than some of the other blace makers. (IMHO)

http://www.abana.org/

http://www.calsmith.org/

There are also the knife supply outfits ... probably zip through half dozen to a dozen of them with emails ... and requesting a response back. May not send contact info directly, don't know, but would no doubt refer on to him your contact info if you indicated that desire.

www.texasknife.com

www.knifemaking.com

www.knifeandgun.com

Remember too that CBA in the Great State of Calif. has members from across the US and elsewhere.

Texas knife supply, supplies people from all over this and other countries.

ABANA, membership all over North America and elsewhere.

These are a few of the entities I've been a member or have personally dealt with myself.

If this guy is breathing and working, you can find him, even if he left the country. And maybe if he is hiding!

PS: The above lists are not complete nor comprehensive ... just giving you some suggestions in some of the directions to persue. Google and Yahoo are good starting places. And using email to your advantage will cover many bases quickly. When I am hunting someone, I write-up two or three "form" or template emails and then tailor for each outfit or source. You could easily and quickly cover several dozen outfits / organizations / sources in a couple of hours.

Let us know that you have done this and caught up with him.