In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Duck hunting report.

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Made it back a day early. Opening day was outstanding! Birds everywhere. Humbled myself quite a bit. Wingshooting is harder than I thought. Didn't get too many birds, but I still had a lot of fun.[:I]

Hunted Warms Springs Wildlife Management Area, just outside Anaconda, MT.

Managed to get one Canada goose, a Coot, and a Redhead. The ol' '97 did good. My right shoulder is several shades of purple and green.[:D][:)]

birdswin97.jpg
birdswin972.jpg

A shot from where we were camped, close to the ponds.
warmsprings.jpg

The same spot Saturday evening.
sunsethw.jpg

On the way home today, we stopped in Anaconda for breakfast, so I got a couple pics of the big smokestack just outside of town, where the old smelter used to be years ago. I thought it was pretty neat. There's a lot of mining history in that area.

smokestack.jpg

A shot of the stack from the opposite side. To put the size of it into perspective, that's a full-length telephone pole just to the right of the base. It's hard to make it out, but it's there. The stack is enormous!

smokestack2.jpg
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a fun time, but I wouldn't brag about shooting a coot.[;)]

Our opening was last weekend. 5 day season on ducks, no geese yet.

We got lots of teal on opening morning, then the ducks disappeared.

On ducks, if you think you're leading to far, you're probably still behind them.

I live to hunt ducks and geese.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    has the new DU project at WS finished yet? been thinking about hitting that myself.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ya oughta take some pics of what a true mining town looked like. umptynine houses crowded onto 1 block but it seems the town is being reborn some. new development. plus one of the most intimidating high school gyms in montana the "snake pit"
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    ya oughta take some pics of what a true mining town looked like. umptynine houses crowded onto 1 block but it seems the town is being reborn some. new development. plus one of the most intimidating high school gyms in montana the "snake pit"

That's Anaconda alright. Lot of the old company houses are wall to wall. That's the town my Grandparents met just prior to WW2, and married in just after. The town looks pretty nice right now.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    Sounds like a fun time, but I wouldn't brag about shooting a coot.[;)]

Our opening was last weekend. 5 day season on ducks, no geese yet.

We got lots of teal on opening morning, then the ducks disappeared.

On ducks, if you think you're leading to far, you're probably still behind them.

I live to hunt ducks and geese.

Oh I'm not bragging. This was my first waterfowl hunt, ever. I was thrilled to get anything.[:)]

I'm still laughing about that coot. That thing came in about 4 feet off the water. By the time I got the shotgun up to my shoulder, it couldn't have been 15 feet from the end of the barrel, when I lit it off. Feathers everywhere. Went to pick it up, only to find out it didn't have anything left but two webbed feet, feathers on it's back, and some skin.

Dang bird was coming in at me like a little black Kamikaze.[:D][:D]
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks say coot is one of the better tasting "ducks" around. I know of a gentleman who said himself and his roommate would cook up batches of coot stew all the time in college when funds were tight.
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way those are nice looking pictures and I'm jealous of that Redhead...
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't believe no one said it......OMG, are they going to be OK!?

Nice pics. Looks like you had a blast.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I'd get that Redhead mounted. Very nice bird.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like that beautiful '97 performed pretty well for ya'. My dad used to cook up coots as follows. Breast and leg them out, soak in water with a whole bunch of oranges and a few lemons overnight, then he'd stew them in a dutch oven for a few hours. They are a dark meated bird, and they were really tasty.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you wanted coots, you should have stayed around the gunbroker forums! This place is FULL of them! [:p]

Merc
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

Guessing alot of taxidermists wouldn't mount it.

This time of year they're full of pin feathers, and hard to make them look good, I guess.

That is a beautiful bird.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

I would've, but it's already been dressed out.[:I]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    great post. [^][^][8D][8D]