In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bloodied up old dog - Update, owner found

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
Sandy and I were on our way out this morning to eat breakfast before church. As I backed out of the garage, there was a bloody dog up against my back fence at the driveway. He was grey in the muzzel, bloody all over, and just leaning against the fence shaking.

I went in and changed clothes, then came back out to examine him. I thought he had been in a fight or hit by a car, so I called our vet at home to get some advise.

He told me he would meet me at his office, and we loaded up the poor dog and took him in.

No coller, no tags and no chip according to the vet. He said he believed the dog had been beaten. He spent all morning treating the dog and is keeping him overnight.

He'll do me right on the bill, he always does, but this isn't going to be cheap. Looks like, unless someone claims him and can prove they weren't the ones who injured him, we will have a new dog spending his last days with us.

How someone could do this to an animal is beyond my understanding. The vet notified Animal Services, and we'll let them do the investigation, but if the dog is siezed, we'll adopt him, and we'll pay the bill to see he is treated with passion, not just put down because he's old.

They have to do a lot of testing, and he will need lots of shots for the unknown vacinations and such, but before I left this afternoon, I petted him on the head, and he wagged his tail and looked me in the eye.

I was done for at that point. He has me in the heart, and I'll pay whatever it takes to get him back to good health. I just hope Sandy will pay the bail if I ever find out who did this to this poor old dog.

We're calling him Red for now as he's and old Irish Setter.

Man, I just don't understand how someone could do this to a dog.[V]

Comments

• nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are lot of crazy people out there [:(]
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well done. Nothing turns me into a big softy quite like dogs do...
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I'll help chip in on bail if you do find them. Cant stand anyone that would beat or torture a animal. If you no longer want a dog or for some reason feel it needs to be gone either take it to a vet or shelter or use a humane way of taking it out. Bet is was dumb * kid trying to show his retards how tuff he was.
  • rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    what is your vets name and professional address?

I'm looking for a new vet.[;)]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel

Sore throat? Don
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are a good man Danny.[^]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dogs are better people than most people.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    You are a good man. Thank you for your compassion for all living things. (except dog beaters!)
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks...like to catch up with the retard responsible and give em the same..hope animal services finds em and publishes it in the paper and on tv..our buddy is a rescue and no amount of money can take her away
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    You are laying up your treasures in heaven. May God bless you. If you need money just send me an e-mail.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Danny : let us know what the bill is .
    I haven't got much right now ,but would like to chip in a few $ .
    Email me .
    Roger
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're a good man Danny. Don't worry about the bail. There are enough people out here to pay the bail that you would make money, and several of us who can testify you were nowhere near him, and a few of us who would confess we did it. Proud to know you son.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    Email me .
    Roger

Yeah, me too. [:)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure is dusty in here. [:(]

Merc
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll chip in on the vet bill also; e-mail me a mailing address.
    I have a little fund set up through Wallee's largese.
  • BenjieBenjie Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll chip in!
    JC
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    Email me .
    Roger

I will help as well if needed.
    No worries, you won't go into debt for doing a good thing Danny.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any pics of the poor pooch?

Merc
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your a good man. Thanks for helping the old fella out, lots of people would not have done that.

As for who would do such a thing a coward, they do this to a dog because the dog wont fight back. I hope they do find the person who did this so everyone will know what they truely are.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for helping an animal in need. If it were me I'd canvas the hood with the dogs photo. The Apple did not fall far from it's tree.
  • anatomically correctanatomically correct Member Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sad truth about animal abuse like this is that the abuser probably treats children the same way.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Danny, I hope your vet is wrong, and that the dog met with an accident. I would hate to think that someone would just beat a dog like that.

Whatever happened to him, SOMEONE directed him to you, knowing that you would do the right thing.

I will stand with you and Sandy and some of the members here. We don't have much to spare, but put us down for $20 to help with the vet bill.

Thank you for caring for a helpless creature.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're a very special person Mr. Heffley. I'm in for the vet bill too.
    edited November -1
    Delton E. Heffley, Jr

1425 Stella Dr

Lewisville, TX 75067-4258

Danny won't mind me posting this, since he has posted his address here before.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I would hate to think that someone would just beat a dog like that.

+1 just no sense to it. would have to be a very sick individual/group.

we rescued a dog in similar shape, but turned out it was shot with #6 bird shot. twice.
    the dog made it's way to the local trucking company lot. The owner called me and asked if i would come down and "put the dog out of it's misery".
    when I got there, some of the drivers had wrapped the dog in a blanket and put it on a pallet and helped me load it into a pick-up.
    $500 later (vet bill) dog is blind in left eye and limps on the left front leg, but he's loyal as the day is long.

can't go wrong helping an animal.....

tom
    edited November -1
    A big concern will be the heartworm test.
    If positive, I'm not sure an old dog could make it through the treatment.

I have copied the address Nunn posted in case you come back with news, and needing a little help bud.
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to admit, I am not "dog lover" and personally don't care to have them in the house even though my wife is opposite and therefore we have two "rescue dogs". However anyone who could beat an old to to the point of it being bloodied, deserves the same fate.
    edited November -1
    My small contribution is ready to go out in tomorrow's mail.
  • timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll chip in too, If ya get more than you need for the vet... then get the pooch some food or a new toy (I'm sure he'll wanna play once he's better).
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timinpa
    I'll chip in too, If ya get more than you need for the vet... then get the pooch some food or a new toy (I'm sure he'll wanna play once he's better).

+1,

Or set up a reward for who did it.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    i can chip in some cash say 100.00 It aint gonna make a difference in my life but it may in the doggies.....let me know i am serious you have paypal i can even do that
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Heff,you are a most awesome man....
    Your depiction of the events hit me hard. My prayers and best wishes are that the ol'boy comes out the back of this in good shape and gets to really be loved....(mus'be dust coming out the AC)
  • fullcaseloadfullcaseload Member Posts: 224 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm way against abortion, sometimes though I think it should happen! dheffley, both thumbs up to you.
  • dawniedawnie Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that pups knows he is in good hands now. RIght before I had buster put down,he made sure he said his good bye's to everyone and at the vets office when Doc asked me are you ready,,buster looked at him and blinked and nodded his head.

I believe dogs understand and communicate with us..Here is a dog beaten who doesnt know you and allowed you to pick him up and get him help.

just like crickett dog when we found her after she was hit by a car,i had no clue where she was hurt but she let me pick her up and get her help.

please keep us posted,and get him a nice bone when you bring him home
    edited November -1
    A book I read when I was a kid, "Big Red," was about an Irish Setter. I think there was a movie made of it.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please count me in on the bill as well.
    What's next?
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    Sandy and I were on our way out this morning to eat breakfast before church. As I backed out of the garage, there was a bloody dog up against my back fence at the driveway. He was grey in the muzzel, bloody all over, and just leaning against the fence shaking.

I went in and changed clothes, then came back out to examine him. I thought he had been in a fight or hit by a car, so I called our vet at home to get some advise.

He told me he would meet me at his office, and we loaded up the poor dog and took him in.

No coller, no tags and no chip according to the vet. He said he believed the dog had been beaten. He spent all morning treating the dog and is keeping him overnight.

He'll do me right on the bill, he always does, but this isn't going to be cheap. Looks like, unless someone claims him and can prove they weren't the ones who injured him, we will have a new dog spending his last days with us.

How someone could do this to an animal is beyond my understanding. The vet notified Animal Services, and we'll let them do the investigation, but if the dog is siezed, we'll adopt him, and we'll pay the bill to see he is treated with passion, not just put down because he's old.

They have to do a lot of testing, and he will need lots of shots for the unknown vacinations and such, but before I left this afternoon, I petted him on the head, and he wagged his tail and looked me in the eye.

I was done for at that point. He has me in the heart, and I'll pay whatever it takes to get him back to good health. I just hope Sandy will pay the bail if I ever find out who did this to this poor old dog.

We're calling him Red for now as he's and old Irish Setter.

Man, I just don't understand how someone could do this to a dog.[V]

We have a group of people in my area that help with the bill and taking care of animals like this. I dont know if they have anyone in Texas or not, but I will check on it if you like.

We picked up a stray a few months ago that had a cracked skull. According to the vet it looked as if someone beat the dog. This group we know from Facebook helped with the vet bills and finding the dog a good home. A woman in the group even met us in B'ham so she could take the dog to Huntsville to its new family. A few bucks here and there will help with the vet bills, if they can in fact help you.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't let that old dog get away ...guided to you for a special reason..to make his retirement a blessing
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    A book I read when I was a kid, "Big Red," was about an Irish Setter. I think there was a movie made of it.

I remember that book.
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel

Sore throat? Don

Now that was cold, Don.