In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Craigs Lists ???

allamericangunshopallamericangunshop Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
Anybody here ever use :
Craigs List for anything ???
I just posted a signed painting that Im trying to move ?

Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns .......... a.k.a. ......... SKEEZIX .....................
Gunsmith / LEO
Athens , Tn

... www.allamericangunshop.com
... www.tnhandgunclasses.vpweb.com

Comments

• trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I check them every morning .
    There are so many woodworking businesses folding ,that i am getting good deals on machinery .
    Otherwise --no .
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I listed my Pool Heater at 9:00AM and sold it at 10:30AM. Bought a 2010 Honda Rancher 4x4 that was listed for 2 months for a steal. Just beware that hawkers will call you and try to sell your big ticket items for a commision. IE motorcycles, cars, boats, homes.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch out for the fake money, thieves and scammers!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even with the scammers, I have used CL quite a bit to move things. It's a great tool to move non gun stuff.
  • timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought a few things from there, but never sold anything there.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nigerians love it.
  • oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have bought and sold much on there. Kind of like fishing in muddy water though. Certain percent of people don't show up to buy so we just say call before you come. Many are sincere and all works out. Keep change for what you guess the bill they will use cuz lots don't have correct amount. Also have sold much on there to out of state people and all has worked fine. You always get the money first so no problems on that.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought a number of items that were listed on {elsewhere}, and I am pleased with every one of them.
    What's next?
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    {elsewhere} is good if you know what you want and are willing to be careful.

I have purchased from {elsewhere} ads, an ATV, 3PT Woodchipper, 3PT Bushhog, Rare Foosball Table and a Kegerator among other small items.

I got all at very good deals by paying cash and picking up in person.

Watching CL now for an Aquarium and a 3PT snowblower. You have to be patient and wait until the right item comes up at the right price and then be quick on the response.
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use with GREAT care. No out of state offers. No checks even certified ones. Always face-to-face with my trusty carry.
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to buy a thousand small square bales in the summer for $3/bale, then sell them on {elsewhere} in Dec/Jan for $6/bale.

Then the price of hay went stupid expensive.

Opportunities out there to be had.
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I have bought a few things and sold a couple of trucks, They all worked out fine.

This morning I traded a guy 3 boxes of blazer 9mm ammo for a case of MRE's.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friends & I have had decent deals on CL. Watch out for items at a price too good to believe that are not local. Face to face is the only way.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good place to shop are sell on a local level..Great to keep your garage clean...sold a roll up door for 85.00 that I would have paid that much to get it hauled off...watch for scams...
  • HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use it all the time. Currently have 5 different things for sell on it. Sometimes you have to be patient but it usually pays off.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the time, as stated use caution. I bought a riding mower on there for $150. Tinkered with it, sold it back on there for $450. Used that to buy two more, double my money on them. Then bought a BBQ pit on a trailer for $800, repainted it and did some minor fix ups and add ons. Traded it for a 1995 GMC Sierra extended cab, that was listed for $3500 on there. So far, all has worked well with no issues with any dealings. Found me a super nice 6'4x10' tilt trailer for $650 last week, Big Tex wanted over $1500 for the same trailer.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I buy a lot of laptops off of them.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I've had luck the few times I've used it.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, both buy and sell.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought and sold using them a few times and have done pretty well. Cash only when I sell. When I buy, if they will take a check, WTH, it's their risk. I know my check won't bounce but they don't. When selling, take the object out to the garage before they arrive and meet them out there. Don't let strangers in your house. They could just be taking inventory for the later burglary. Have your carry gun and a spouse or friend there with you, also carrying, hanging back. Most people you get coming by are honest shoppers. But, there have been a few cases in the news of people getting mugged during these CL sales. One of you steps up and does the dealing. The other hangs back where he/she can keep an eye on everyone at the same time. That way, everyone stays on their best behavior. [:)]
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep sold a car on there, sold parts on there, and bought a few things off there.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We advertise our rentals on craig*list. We love it, all the words you want, and 8 pics, all for free.

Five years ago it was newspaper ads. Three lines of little bitty print, you had to abbreviate everything, such as "fplc, hwd flr," etc.
    Cost $125 a WEEK!!

We love craig^list. But we always get responses from Nigerian scammers.
    Easy to spot them, they speak with an antiquated, British English.
    Also they always say they want to move in to our "apartment."
    Sorry they are 3 br houses not apartments.

I like to respond to the Nigerian scammers:

"Dearest Celestine:
    It is my fondest wish that you and your beloved daughter move in to our apartment next month when you move from overseas to America.
    Please give me your account number and I will send you $6,000 [six thousand US Dollars] in gold bullion.
    Your beloved landlord,

John Wayne

ps We don't rent to lying Nigerian scammers"

These guys don't give up, even when they have been busted. They will send a response that they "earnestly wish to move in to this lovely apartment on the earliest of occasions," etc.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    We live near a college town. There are some good deals to be had in the spring before the kids go home for the summer. The load up on stuff during the school year and can't haul it home in their BMW's in May.
    edited November -1
    Woman wanted for {elsewhere} scam killed in crash on I-75

WLTV Knoxville, Tenn.

CLAXTON, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The Anderson Co. Sheriff's Office said the woman wanted in connection with a {elsewhere} scam was killed. Shannon Renee Lefew died in an auto accident on I-75 in Whitley Co., Ky., on Thursday. She was a passenger in the car.

ShannonReneeLeffew.jpg
    Shannon Renee Lefew
    CHECK IT OUT-- SHE IS NOT NIGERIAN!!

No other details have been released. The accident is being investigated by the Kentucky State Police.

Her son, who is a juvenile, was nabbed Tuesday in Cosby along with Kayla Marie Beck. The 25 year-old Beck is currently being held at the Cocke County Jail awaiting transport to the Anderson County Detention Facility.

According to the Anderson County Sheriff's Dept., the victims would respond to a {elsewhere} ad about renting a home on West Wolf Valley Road in Claxton. They would then meet with a person they believed owned the home and put down their deposit.

Some victims did not realize it was a scam until they went to move in.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Shannon Renee Leffew is asked to call the Anderson Co. Sheriff's Dept. at 865-457-2414 or their local law enforcement agency.

The investigation is ongoing, the sheriff's dept. added, and more charges may be filed.
    edited November -1
    The above post is a straight c and p.
    At the bottom it says "Anyone with information as to the whereabouts of Shannon Renee Lefew is asked to call the Sheriff's Office."

They might try looking in the county morgue.
  • allamericangunshopallamericangunshop Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allen :
    What did this have to do with my question ??? bout 'craigs list' ?????
    Thanks !
    d.a.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I get all my sex there...

[xx(]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

[xx(]

Both of them? Don
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy and sell Motorcycles on there pretty often. You just have to be careful of scams and only deal in CASH
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

[xx(]

Both of them? Don

No. Just the one. I answered my own ad...
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as shipping, I don't buy anything that needs to be shipped. I buy ONLY when the CL item is listed from a nearby location where I can go see it in person and pick it up. Too many scams to risk sending money to them and HOPING they will send back your item. Fortunately I live near a good sized city where there are lots of CL listings. If you live more remotely, then you don't have as good an opportunity to review your purchases in person before paying.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allamericangunshop
    allen :
    What did this have to do with my question ??? bout 'craigs list' ?????
    Thanks !
    d.a.

This the story of the death of a craigs list scammer.

If you type in the word "craig*list" the computer changes it to "elsewhere."