In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does anyone here take Tramadol?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
My doc is switching me over from Hydrocodone to Tramadol b/c the high levels of Acetaminaphin were causing some adverse affects in me. This is to treat my nerve pain/fibromyalgia/etc.

I've been reading up on this Tramadol and it sounds a little scary...but it does sound like it may be better suited for treating long term chronic pain...???

I have read that it's almost chemically identical to Codeine. Codeine does absolutely NOTHING for me...so I'm kind of wondering if this stuff is going to be beneficial at all...especially considering all the side effects.?.?

Just wondering if any of you guys are taking it...or have had any experience with it???

I hate reading up on a new drug...it always scares the beejeezes out of you!

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take damitall, makes the day go better. Don
  • freedomforeverfreedomforever Member Posts: 210 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tramadol is just generic for 50mg Ultraset. Ultram 37.5mg Acetaminophen 12.5mg
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don;t know about good for you...
    But, the Vet prescribes Tramadol for pain when the dogs had surgery.... [;)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Codeine eh?

You know what Codeine does for me? Makes me throat swell shut and I break out in huge hives.

Only thing I have ever been allergic to. I can roll in poison oak or ivy and never have a problem.

As far as pain meds go, I gave up on pills along tme ago. I will cope with my discomforts.

Some can, others can't. Good luck finding a useful drug for your issues.
    edited November -1
    I took it for irregular pain due to 5 back surgeries. I do not now only due to my pancreatic cancer fight. (hmmmm) ok was cancer one of the side effects?? lol
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i take lyrica..works good for nueropathy
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Tramadol is a morphine derivative. Its good for pain and it perks you up. But it is addictive and it can cause withdrawl. Be careful not to start to chase the feeling by upping your dosage. Thats my .02 cents.
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wash the Codeine down with Everclear.

It'll do something for ya!
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I take damitall, makes the day go better. Don

You are in fine fettle today, sir.

Almost identical is a big step away from identical. Nothing compares to chronic nerve pain. Sometimes a slight shift in the delivery platform (like time release) can have a beneficial effect. So I wouldn't short sell the value until you've given it a fair shake.

good luck. aspirin couldn't make it through the fda trials today. give your MD lots of feedback, frequently.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW ECC... The wife said she thought the dogs didn't seem to have any adverse effects...

And, actually... The Chihuahua/Terrier mix was quite mellowed out while she was taking it... The dog that is. [;)]
    edited November -1
    Tramadol is generic for "Ultram" Tramadol HCL is Generic for Ultraset. While they are a synthesized opiate that originates from codeine, it is NOT codeine. I took it for 4 years and stopped soon as I started treating for cancer. Never noticed a single withdrawal symptom.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    It either works or it doesn't.

Let me guess, You work for Hallmark? Don
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Had a spider bite get infected on my knee 'bout 1 1/2 yrs ago. Doc cut it open, packed it and prescribed Tramadol for the pain. Well I took one and woke up about 14 hrs later.[:0] I only took one more and that was a coupla months later when the doofus working at Fastenal dropped some steel on my finger smashing the holy bejeezus out of it!![:(!][}:)] Took one then and same thing, knocked me out for at least 12 hrs. Took the pain away though.[:p]
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    [B)] i`ve had it before ecc...i break out in hives when i take it,and apparently it isn`t a known side effect[:(]

i told my doc he can keep his tramadol [}:)]
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    its a really weak narcotic. i see you being disapointed with it for the kind of pain youre experiencing.

just like with any drug, there are people that have great sucess with it and some that have bad reactions to it. unfortunately, you'll never know which side you'll be on till you take it.

ive taken it as a step down between "real" narcotics and otc meds for previous injuries. overall, i wasnt impressed, but i didnt have any bad effects from it(aside from inadequate pain management).

i think you need to start investigating other types of meds if you havent all ready. gabapentin, lyrica, many others that i cant remember right now all treat neuropathic pain specifically.
  • JohnharleyJohnharley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been taking it for almost 2 years to help with an unrepairable shoulder problem. My doc has me in on a regular basis to make sure I am not misusing it. It works for me.
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm living on it for back pain prior to surgery, but it has different effects for different people. I also sleep 12-14 hours a day. (Hypersomnia)
  • bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems like it hits people with a wide range of effects. I took it a few times and didn't notice much of anything...

Have you considered medical marijuana with an open mind?
  • texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has taken it and it knocks her out too,but it doesn't do anything for me.
  • shortphatokieshortphatokie Member Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You said something about nerve pain? For that I take Neurontin 3 times a day.

Had a crazy doctor cut something off the back of my head a few years back. Thought I was gonna bleed out before they finally got me off the table. This was all done with local anesthetics and she actually told the attending nurse to go get help at one point...... 0.o ......which made me feel much better to know there would be more than 2 people present to make up a story about why I bleed to death during such a simple procedure.

Long story short she cut a lot of nerves and the whole back of my head has nerve pains till this day. If I don't take the Neurontin the itching and pain drives me crazy.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bingeebob
    seems like it hits people with a wide range of effects. I took it a few times and didn't notice much of anything...

Actually, that has been something I have been considering lately. I've read nothing but good things about it...without all the negative/bad side affects of man made drugs. I highly doubt I'll ever get the VA to prescribe it though...and I doubt it's legal in my State. I think it's legal in MT though...
  • bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by bingeebob

Actually, that has been something I have been considering lately. I've read nothing but good things about it...without all the negative/bad side affects of man made drugs. I highly doubt I'll ever get the VA to prescribe it though...and I doubt it's legal in my State. I think it's legal in MT though...

It is certainly legal here in Oregon. You don't even have to smoke it, you can press the THC out into an oil and drink it. Most patients I know prefer to avoid burning the plant for smoke, as the other methods are much more efficient, and say some, more pleasant.
  • ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    I was prescribed it about 5 years ago to replace Ultracet and get away from the tylenol and it has really helped me. It's an synthetic version of an Opiate that is called an opioud I think? It mimics a narcotic and it is still not understood how it works. I take them for back pain and they're very effective to me.

The only draw back is that they can make you nauseous (a slice of toast and peanut butter cures it)

The other side-effects are itching, increased exitability and insomnia if you take them too late in the evening.

This medication has little or no effect on my wife, but they have really helped me in the past. Try and not take them over a week or you might suffer slight withdrawels such as being lightheaded or no side effects all. It sure beats eating narcotics IMHO.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    He's a chronic pain patient. He's going to be on it a damn sight longer than a week ....
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been on Tramadol for the last 4 years for chronic knee pain resulting from a motorcycle accident. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain medication due to a 4 month stay in the hospital (where I had 13 surgeries) and having morphine and oxycotin every day for the entire 4 months. Vicodin 7/750's are like skittles to me now, but the Tramadol works great. It allows me to make it through the day like I'm normal again with little to no pain and perks me up similar to about maybe 3-4 cups of coffee. I really like the fact that if I accidentally take too many, it won't make me high. I work in a machine shop and also work construction so having a clear head is important to me.

I usually don't take it unless I'm going to work or I have something important to do. When I don't take it (on my days off) I notice that I have very little energy and my body just does not seem to want to move. Stiff joints, etc, but no headaches, nausea, or other withdrawal symptoms occur. The major thing I have to be careful about is not taking it too late in the day. If I do, then I won't be able to sleep.

Like you, Codeine has no effect on me anymore. That being said, I highly recommend the Tramadol. At least have your doctor give you some samples to try. I think you'll be impressed.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    I've been on Tramadol for the last 4 years for chronic knee pain resulting from a motorcycle accident. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain medication due to a 4 month stay in the hospital (where I had 13 surgeries) and having morphine and oxycotin every day for the entire 4 months. Vicodin 7/750's are like skittles to me now, but the Tramadol works great. It allows me to make it through the day like I'm normal again with little to no pain and perks me up similar to about maybe 3-4 cups of coffee. I really like the fact that if I accidentally take too many, it won't make me high. I work in a machine shop and also work construction so having a clear head is important to me.

I usually don't take it unless I'm going to work or I have something important to do. When I don't take it (on my days off) I notice that I have very little energy and my body just does not seem to want to move. Stiff joints, etc, but no headaches, nausea, or other withdrawal symptoms occur. The major thing I have to be careful about is not taking it too late in the day. If I do, then I won't be able to sleep.

Like you, Codeine has no effect on me anymore. That being said, I highly recommend the Tramadol. At least have your doctor give you some samples to try. I think you'll be impressed.

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe it will work as well for me.
  • Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    Interesting, I didn't realize that Tramadol was/is an opiate. But, being that it is, you should be able to enjoy all the side effects, common to that category of drugs.

You mentioned that wonderful poison: acetaminophen; did the doctor already put you on Norco? Norco has a lot less liver-killing acetaminophen than Vicodin ES, for example.

Personally, I will not take Neurontin. When the doctor asks how I'm doing, I say, "well, I can't seem to put out the fire in my foot." He'll say, "well we have something that will help that." I'll say, Neurontin, right?" "Yes," he says. I say, "you take it, that stuff is horrible." [xx(]

And, lucky for me, I'm going for an MRI, with contrast, tomorrow. Looks like, if you've had surgery, they like to inject this weird crap into your arm. I'm so happy! Seriously though, I have no complaints, even though my injury, changed my life, significantly.

Whatever the doc and you figure out, my best, to you, ECC.

Well, at least I'm among other crash-test-dummies. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Interesting, I didn't realize that Tramadol was/is an opiate. But, being that it is, you should be able to enjoy all the side effects, common to that category of drugs.

You mentioned that wonderful poison: acetaminophen; did the doctor already put you on Norco? Norco has a lot less liver-killing acetaminophen than Vicodin ES, for example.

Personally, I will not take Neurontin. When the doctor asks how I'm doing, I say, "well, I can't seem to put out the fire in my foot." He'll say, "well we have something that will help that." I'll say, Neurontin, right?" "Yes," he says. I say, "you take it, that stuff is horrible." [xx(]

And, lucky for me, I'm going for an MRI, with contrast, tomorrow. Looks like, if you've had surgery, they like to inject this weird crap into your arm. I'm so happy! Seriously though, I have no complaints, even though my injury, changed my life, significantly.

I've never been on Norco...don't even know what it is.

I don't think this Tramadol is actually an opiate...but an opioid...or something like that. I really don't understand all this stuff. I'm just trying to read up on this stuff to be better educated. I HATE taking man made drugs...but I'm at a point in life where the pain has overridden my ability to stay off them.

BTW...I appreciate your efforts as a crash test dummy! [:D]
    edited November -1

BTW...the liver, kidney, and cardiovascular problems are another reason I wanted off the hydrocodone.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I am now on
    Fentanyl patches 150 mg/ml
    gabapentin for nerve pain
    oxecodin for breakthru
    after 16 procedures nothing makes it go away
    even the implant.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shortphatokie
    You said something about nerve pain? For that I take Neurontin 3 times a day.

Had a crazy doctor cut something off the back of my head a few years back. Thought I was gonna bleed out before they finally got me off the table. This was all done with local anesthetics and she actually told the attending nurse to go get help at one point...... 0.o ......which made me feel much better to know there would be more than 2 people present to make up a story about why I bleed to death during such a simple procedure.

Long story short she cut a lot of nerves and the whole back of my head has nerve pains till this day. If I don't take the Neurontin the itching and pain drives me crazy.

I was out skiing years ago and was stopping off to the side of the trail to check the map when this idiot came from out of bounds right into me. His ski did a fair job of scalping me right on the forehead. Long story short. 70 or 80 stitches from a nice plastic surgeon right there in Salt Lake and I look semi normal again. But for about 10 yrs that area itched like crazy and when I touched it the feeling was way round the back of my head on the other side. really weird. Doesnt do it any more thank goodness.
  • Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    I am now on
    Fentanyl patches 150 mg/ml
    gabapentin for nerve pain
    oxecodin for breakthru
    after 16 procedures nothing makes it go away
    even the implant.

Wow, you poor buzzard. [:p]

The thing about taking narcotic pain-killers is, insomnia. I don't know, perhaps you guys don't have a problem sleeping?

Anyway, on Thursday, I'll see the doctor... discuss the MRI... and, I'll ask him about Tramadol. It would be nice to have something that can kill pain, without feeling loopy. [:)]
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe it will work as well for me.
    [/quote]

You're welcome. I hope so too. Good luck.
  • mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric, the Doc at the VA also had me on Tramadol for a while for my joint pain, back pain and fibromyalgia, it did nothing for me at all, it did less than a sugar pill, of course I am very immune to the effects of most pain meds so I might not be the best person to ask
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I tried lyrica for a while, but I could not handle the side effects.
    I took a fall while in japan, the good ole air force doctors told me I had a bruised spine, 4 months went by and I was in so much pain. finally one morning the alarm clock went off, I tried to roll over, it was like someone drove a ice pick thru me, the neuro surgeon I finally got to see, damn sarge your lucky you can walk at all, mind you I was walking with two canes. I had a broke back in two places, had it not been for my condition I would have been paralyzed, but I live with so much pain. spend most of my time on the couch.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    I tried lyrica for a while, but I could not handle the side effects.
    I took a fall while in japan, the good ole air force doctors told me I had a bruised spine, 4 months went by and I was in so much pain. finally one morning the alarm clock went off, I tried to roll over, it was like someone drove a ice pick thru me, the neuro surgeon I finally got to see, damn sarge your lucky you can walk at all, mind you I was walking with two canes. I had a broke back in two places, had it not been for my condition I would have been paralyzed, but I live with so much pain. spend most of my time on the couch.

Brownie...I hope I never get as bad as you man. I go in to see the docs about surgery on both arms Dec 22nd...I don't think I want them cutting on me.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Doc says try, then try it and see how it does. If you have been taking the hydrocodone for awhile you may have a some rough days at the start.

Tramadol affects people in different way. It works great for some and not for others. Some have no side effects and others have neuro stimulation. I can't remember why they were prescribed to me, something acute, but I do remember I didn't sleep well and had some rather unique dreams while taking them.

Just give them a try and report to the doctor how they do.
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have been taken it off and on for the last 6 years for leg pain. my doctor told me it was not addictive. i have taken as much as 100mg every 2 hours.
    up untill this year i had no side affects(did not take tramadol for a month and a half),untill my legs started hurting again. when i got back on the meds i started to itch all over my whole body and never slept for 48 hours
    the doctor has since put me on hydroco/apap 5 325mg. when the pain hits i take one a day and i am good for all day
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took Tramadol for a long time because it was one thing that didn't upset my stomach. Taking 10-12 pills/day got me addicted and I had withdrawal if I missed a couple of doses. As time went by, it took more and more to attenuate the pain and my provider cut me back and offered other options including surgery but I couldn't bring myself to allow that. After spending 3 months in a more suitable climate, I was able to kick the Tramadol but now back in Missouri, I'm taking OTC pain relievers and have constant heartburn. Now I have to decide if I'm going to go back on meds or sell out and move.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I took Tramadol for a long time because it was one thing that didn't upset my stomach. Taking 10-12 pills/day got me addicted and I had withdrawal if I missed a couple of doses. As time went by, it took more and more to attenuate the pain and my provider cut me back and offered other options including surgery but I couldn't bring myself to allow that. After spending 3 months in a more suitable climate, I was able to kick the Tramadol but now back in Missouri, I'm taking OTC pain relievers and have constant heartburn. Now I have to decide if I'm going to go back on meds or sell out and move.
    This is the most common addiction story I heard while in the Medical field for 20 years. I have a close family member that was up to 10-12 a day. He was camping and had a very bad seizure and in the process dislocated his shoulder. His shoulder will never be the same and to this day I have not told anyone why he seizured.

I used to take the 50mg. pills two at a time not exceeding 4-6 a day. I called them "garage cleaning pills". They were awesome until you run out and then bam, it takes like a week for you body to recover. Sore joints, no energy and all of the other withdrawl symptoms.

Oh, and another effect of them is that you can go like a stallion trying to achieve * due to the nerve numbing...[8D]