In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Banned Bullets

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Now that the atf has banned the light AP .223 ammo will they also ban surplus .762X39 and .762X54? They have steel cores as well. They already are making noises about lead free handgun ammo from Russia and China they have steel penetrators. I would have thought the enviro-nazis wanted to get lead out of the equation but I realize they want to ban all hunting and sport shooting. It is all a way to make America safe for terrorists.

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    This was on ET tonight and there they called them banned bullets 9 MM Hollow Points.

quote:"It wasn't worth having it operational there anymore," says Lee, who declined further comment on the investigation, now in its second week. Camera footage from other locations, including neighbors' residences and businesses along Sunset, has been sought.

No suspects have been named, and police have not revealed a motive in the shooting, though THR has previously reported that the department's working theory centers on the attack being planned. It remains unclear whether Chasen was personally targeted in the shooting.

Though it was expected that the Los Angeles County coroner's office would release its full autopsy report this week, assistant chief coroner Ed Winter said that the BHPD has put a "security hold" on the case, keeping the report from being released, at least in the near-term.

But a three-page preliminary coroner's report obtained by Fox 11 News details some of the particulars of the incident. According to the station's Nov. 24 newscast, the coroner's office report indicates a "9mm hollow-point" bullet was recovered from Chasen's back at Cedars-Sinai hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 1:12 a.m. Nov 16. Such ammunition is more powerful than conventional rounds, according to criminal experts.

"When they hit a (person), they scoop out skin and tissue and make a much bigger hole," says Robert Wittman, a former senior investigator for the FBI. "They are outlawed for use in war."

Mark Fuhrman, the former Los Angeles Police Department detective who investigated the Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman murders, says the sole purpose of using 9mm hollow-point ammunition is to "inflict as much damage as possible in a human."
    "9mm guns are not used in any hunting, which means that any bullet designed (for such a gun) is made to stop or kill humans," says Fuhrman, now an author.Winter says the three-page document "should not have been released." Lee adds that detectives on the case have no comment on the release of the full autopsy report.

The coroner's preliminary report indicates that Chasen, 64, suffered multiple gunshot wounds, including three to her "right breast/chest area," according to the Fox newscast. The report notes up to four other gunshot wounds, though it is unclear which are exit or entry points for the bullets.

It also indicates that an unknown vehicle pulled up next to Chasen's Mercedes-Benz while she was stopped at a red light and fired shots at the publicist through her passenger-side window. She then made a left turn from Sunset onto Whitter and drove about a quarter mile before hitting a light pole. Police received information at 12:28 a.m. Nov. 16 regarding shots heard in the area.

Chasen was attacked after leaving an after-party in Hollywood for the Burlesque premiere.

There is proof how powerfull the 9mm really is. Even Called them Cop Killers in on article.
  • coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I should get one of those 9mm rifles, take it hunting, then send them pics just to be a smartass. if it was accurate enough, I would feel fine takin one deer hunting with a good hollow point.
    edited November -1
    Neat article I found.

quote:The 9mm Parabellum, or as it is more commonly called the 9mm Luger, came into fruition from the fertile mind of Georg Johann Luger. It was patented by Mr. Luger, who was an Austrian MD, in 1898 and its production
    started in 1902 by a German weapons manufacture. It appears that our 9mm ammo isn't such a newbie after all. So now, we know why the 9mm is known as the 9mm Luger, but what's Parabellum and how does that fit with the history of the 9mm? Well, Parabellum comes to us from Latin. "Para Bellum" means "For War" and it comes from the common Latin phrase "Si vis pacem, para bellum" which means "If you seek peace, prepare for war". It was probably the origin of "peace through superior firepower". In any case, the German arms manufacturer that I mentioned earlier (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken) was the one that tagged it as the 9mm Parabellum. As you can see, the 9mm is a Oldie Goldie at 112 years old.

The salient date for this article is the birthday of the 9mm Luger, and that was back in 1898. It's the same year that brought us a working model of an answering machine, and more importantly, the first electric flashlight (no, it wasn't a Surefire). There were many milestones for this history rich bullet. A key milestone that made many folks happy, and just as many folks unhappy, is the year 1980 (or thereabout) when the 9mm, carried in magazines that fed the then new M9, became the primary handgun / ammo choice for the US Army. 9mm ammo still runs through M9 pistols today and as far as I know, there are no plans to replace the 9mm as the handgun ammo of the Army.

So 1898 is the birthday of the 9mm Luger. Compare that to the 40 S&W, which is very popular with law enforcement agencies, and is just 20 years old --just a kid in the long history of the 9mm. I hope this was an interesting peek behind the scenes, and worth a quick read.

Until next time, stay safe by staying alert!

Notice what Parabellum means.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "When they hit a (person), they scoop out skin and tissue and make a much bigger hole,"

So maybe someone could invent a good hunting rifle that would accurately shoot those 9mm bullets. They would/could gut your animal for you.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want a 9mm rifle for hunting? Get a .35 Whelen, .358 Win, or .35 Remington.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx, but I got my fill of Fuhrman during the OJ trial. Everybody is famous for 15 minutes. Somebody please tell him his time is up.
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of 9MM ammo does law enforcement officers use in their duty guns ? Bet they are hollow points.

EvilDr235
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bergtreffer
    You want a 9mm rifle for hunting? Get a .35 Whelen, .358 Win, or .35 Remington.

Yup.[^][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax
    I should get one of those 9mm rifles, take it hunting, then send them pics just to be a smartass. if it was accurate enough, I would feel fine takin one deer hunting with a good hollow point.

Like this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=202743493

pix493935758.jpg
  • 45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to use 9mm hollow points for hunting big game in Africa, but they are so powerfull, when I shot an elephant, all that was left were tiny pieces.

From what I understand, the 9mm (the single most deadly) caliber hollow points (really the only dangerous type of bullet) were invented by gangs to kill cops.

I think we should ban them before Al-Queda gets their hands on them.

That would be my guess as to Mark Fuhrman's take when asked to elaborate. Why the hell is anybody giving this idiot any credibility?

[xx(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45forme
    I tried to use 9mm hollow points for hunting big game in Africa, but they are so powerfull, when I shot an elephant, all that was left were tiny pieces.

From what I understand, the 9mm (the single most deadly) caliber hollow points (really the only dangerous type of bullet) were invented by gangs to kill cops.

I think we should ban them before Al-Queda gets their hands on them.

That would be my guess as to Mark Fuhrman's take when asked to elaborate. Why the hell is anybody giving this idiot any credibility?[xx(]

Because they do not know better. If the talking head said it it must be true.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I happen to be a fan of any bullet that can scoop something.

And here we have the ultra deadly 9mm scooping round.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    What type of 9MM ammo does law enforcement officers use in their duty guns ? Bet they are hollow points.

EvilDr235

You bet they are...... Black Talons and Win SXT in my case. .45 hollow points make bigger holes and "scoop out" much more flesh.

Who says you cant hunt with a 9mm.................

[img][/img]IMG_0647.jpg
  • mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice shooting Joe, I was just thinging that a 9MM is perfect for shooting bunnies and yotes at short range and there you go posting a picture of doing it.
  • worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

Like this one?

pix493935758.jpg

Beretta Cx4 ? ?
    edited November -1
    9mm = Assault bullet [}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by worstenemy453
    9mm = Assault bullet [}:)]

Only the black 9mm are assault bullets. The regular ones are OK for hunting.[;)]
    edited November -1

Like this one?

pix493935758.jpg

Beretta Cx4 ? ?

After I get everything else I want... Maybe. Could get a long slide 9mm pistol instead of the rifle, be good to maybe 25 yards? [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:After I get everything else I want... Maybe. Could get a long slide 9mm pistol instead of the rifle, be good to maybe 25 yards?

Sig claims 2" groups at 50 yards for this and the X-5. The actual performance is even better

1453162_p226s9mm_01l.jpg
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    i would hunt with my camp9. it s more accurate then you think it would be
    edited November -1

Like this one?

pix493935758.jpg

Beretta Cx4 ? ?

Can you put a longer clip in those ?? I might get one of those. I thought they were ugly but with the sights and flash thing on that one, it looks pretty good.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, a modern version of the German WW-2, 9mm, MP-40. Great ideas never go away.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45forme
    quote:After I get everything else I want... Maybe. Could get a long slide 9mm pistol instead of the rifle, be good to maybe 25 yards?

Sig claims 2" groups at 50 yards for this and the X-5. The actual performance is even better

1453162_p226s9mm_01l.jpg

Dadgum if it's getting 2" at 50 yards or better, I'd take it deer hunting. I'm not one of the "that 100 lb whitetail ain't going down with anything less than a 300 mag" people. I'd feel comfortable shooting them at 50 with a 9mm. Get some hollow points and you're good to go.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Hard to tell if people posting on this thread are serious or not. In Washington, a 10MM is the smallest cal pistol you can use for big game hunting.
    I used a Beretta 96 to finish my downed deer this year. I had one mag loaded with hollow points and one with FMJ. I meant to use the HP but grabbed the FMJ by mistake.
    I made a heart shot at the buck from 5 feet.
    When we skinned it out, we found the bullet had gone thru the deer but was lodged between the body and the hyde on the other side. there was very little damage to the lungs and I missed the heart completely. No "scooping" of tissue and the slug was as pristine as the Oswald magic bullet.
    In the past, I hunted strictly with a handgun (657 Smith) I always used a jacketed soft point for penetration, and expansion. The round is deadly to 100 yards with no problem (it is devistating)
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Like this one?

pix493935758.jpg

Beretta Cx4 ? ?

Can you put a longer clip in those ?? I might get one of those. I thought they were ugly but with the sights and flash thing on that one, it looks pretty good.

Yes. Uses Standard issue magazines for Beretta pistols.
    Magazine-20rd-45-copia.jpg
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    My Uncle Has A Ruger 9mm Rifle Carbine Like a 10-22 Can't tell you the Model though

quote:Originally posted by coledigger4
    "When they hit a (person), they scoop out skin and tissue and make a much bigger hole,"

So maybe someone could invent a good hunting rifle that would accurately shoot those 9mm bullets. They would/could gut your animal for you.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:My Uncle Has A Ruger 9mm Rifle Carbine Like a 10-22 Can't tell you the Model though

Your uncle's rifle is called the Ruger PC-9, here is one for sale here on the board:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203741866
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Thanx, but I got my fill of Fuhrman during the OJ trial. Everybody is famous for 15 minutes. Somebody please tell him his time is up.
    +1