In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Organ Donation

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
So when your mom dies at 11 p.m. and you get a call at 2:30 a.m. from the organ donation people, what do you say.

a) Sure take mom's eyeballs.
b) F you. I'm going to sleep. My mom just died and you badwards are waking me up at 2:30 a.m.

Comments

• Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would NOT BE HERE today,if a man in Eria Pa. hadn't donated his orgens.
    On July 23.2000 I received His Liver.
    This was on Sunday after noon, My Dr. had told me on Friday the 21st. that if they did not find me one soon, then I wouldn't need it.
    I just got home from Church, and My Nurse called me, and told to get
    to Pittsburg ASP.
    at 6:00 PM. I was in Surg.to receive a Liver Transplant.
    I received a perfict Liver by a perfit Medical team.
    THANK GOD
    AMEND
  • Okie MomOkie Mom Member Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That if it was her wish to have her organs donated to give someone else life you are glad to say YES.
    They only have a short amount of time to harvest organs and transplant them.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie Mom
    That if it was her wish to have her organs donated to give someone else life you are glad to say YES.
    They only have a short amount of time to harvest organs and transplant them.

+1
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that on my DL and I have put it in writing for my wife and kids. I told them that if I am sick or injured and the end is getting to be a pretty sure thing, to go ahead and tell the doctors even before I croak to go ahead and take what they need as soon after I am done with it as possible. They won't need to ask my family piece by piece. [:)] Some blind kid my get to see, some father with a bad kidney or liver may live to attend his kid's graduation or wedding, some eunuch who changed his mind may get to be VERY happy, whatever. [:D]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Well they only have so long to wait before they cannot use those organs. I know it may seem really rude what they did But it was for good.

What should have happened is all arrangements are done in Advance So they do not have to bother you.

Sorry for your loss.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    the timing was inconvenient for sure, but a necessary evil. its not like they can say "gee, its 0230. lets wait till 7 or so when he's had his coffee". it would be great if they had that kind of time, but the surely dont.

ive never heard an argument against organ donation that made sense to me.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

Here's one: I don't want my organs to go to an inmate.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=568464&SearchTerms=transplant
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

I would prefer an innocent 3 year old to receive my organs instead of an inmate. But, I suppose that sometimes an inmate is a better match. Besides, not all inmates are alike. Some are serial killer pedophiles while others are there for some pretty petty litte crimes. Say, some normally honest lawabiding citizen refuses to pay what he considers an unjust B.S. fine from a corrupt judge and gets sent to prison. Should he have to die rather than get the organ he needs? I know. I propose we attach a list of crimes to our organ donation form and the donor can put a checkmark in the boxes next to the crimes we are willing to accept for our organ recipient. [:D] We could take a bit further by including a disqualifying political party membership and a litmus test of the proposed recipient's position on a wide range of social issues. [;)][:D]
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope my organs go to someone that is healthy. My father has only one eye and is not a canidate for a transplant since there was extensive tissue damage.After him telling me of how hard it was to live most of his adult life without the eyesight, I became a donor. I just plan on keeping them while longer[:D]
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As we stood in the hospital not an hour had yet passed since
    my dad passed away ,we were asked about that.
    Mom of course was very upset, and did'nt know what to make of the
    request, I told her that it was her choice to make, and that the family would stand behind her ethier way but asked her to think
    about what dad would do. My dad was about the most giving person
    I think I ever knew. He would give money to strangers on a regular
    basis, and took it on himself to help the down and out. Don't get me wrong, although we never did without, we were not wealthy by
    any measure, but mom agreed and we signed the paperwork then and there. It was about five or six weeks later that mom got a letter
    from the organ donor folks telling her that a blind person in
    another state had recieved dads cornias, and could now see.
    My mom showed that letter to everyone she saw with great pride.
    It was then and there I made the choise to be an organ donor.
    The little box is checked on my drivers license.

I'm very sorry for your loss, my mom is 84 and I know it will tear me up when she goes. My prayers go out to you, and your family
    in this tough time. And as for the poor timing on there part,
    time is everything in preserving organs.
    sorry about the rambling, but it's a subject that touches my heart.
    God bless you all. Kevin.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

thats your choice. still doesnt make sense to me. if im done with my organs, and if we're talking about organ procurement then im most certainly done with them, then i really couldnt care less who they go to. its a waste to throw usable organs in the ground. of course, this assume that by the time i'm done with them any of my organs are still usable. this is certainly against my plan, which is to screech into the grave utterly used up and worthless. we'll see....
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    If she filled in the donor card or made it known that she wants that... sure, that's her wish.

Otherwise... hands off.!

To me, there's no valid or invalid reasons for or against organ donations.
    If someone doesn't want to donate organs - that's enough for me. I don't care why. No need to express the reason.

Seems like it was an unresolved situation (no donorcard), then it's just poor taste to wake someone up at 2.30AM to "fish" for permission.
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the timing was inconvenient for sure, but a necessary evil. its not like they can say "gee, its 0230. lets wait till 7 or so when he's had his coffee". it would be great if they had that kind of time, but the surely dont.

I've got one you might like: Donating organs is a bad idea because it stops the movement to allow donors to be paid for their organs.

Organ and tissue donation and cadaver use is a massive business. Of course, those involved in it would assure you that it's all non-profit, that they're doing the Lord's work, etc. And while the very first layer of it is "non-profit", those who work in it are very nicely compensated. And follow the chain right along the way, everybody involved gets very handsomely compensated. Do you think the surgeon putting your heart into another guy's chest is going to drive home in a 12 year old crappy Toyota? Everybody in the game gets paid except the person who supplies the product. And the only real argument against compensating the donor or his family is that the money has to come out of somebody else's slice of the pie.

There's only one country in the world that allows the selling of organs, specifically kidneys: Iran. Oh, and by the way, there is only one country in the world where there is no waiting list for kidneys. You can guess what it is.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't get the call this summer. My sister got it. Woke her up and my daughter. My sister was tried and I am not sure is she was medicated. My daughter being woke up by a phone in the middle of the night was crying.

My sister's first thought was eyeless zombies roaming the street and told the woman NO....seriously. Her 1/4 awake answer was no because she thought about eyeless waking dead.

I don't know if she thought it was inhumane to zombies or what.

That's what happens when such calls are made in the middle of the night when the person is medicated and sleeping.