In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Personal weight loss

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
For a variety of reasons I have been an infrequent poster of late and on the off chance that someone may benefit from my recent dietary changes, I'll share what I have done and what effect it has had for me.

A few months ago I watched a video on youtube called "The Oiling of America". It was about the fats and oils we consume and some info on cholesterol. It ran counter to conventional doctrine and some of it struck a chord with me and I adopted some changes based on the new info. I abandoned all vegetable oils and began cooking with coconut oil,bacon grease,real butter, and lard. I also started consuming a probiotic drink called "good belly" on a fairly regular basis.

The net result has been a weight loss of about 45 lbs. I have gone from size 42 waist pants down to 36's and I have dropped my blood pressure down from second stage hypertension well into first stage hypertension with extended dips into the 120's over 80's.

Here is the kicker.....I'm not working out or going hungry. I have stopped watching TV about 6 months ago and have severely curtailed my time in front of a keyboard so I do spend less time sitting in front of an electronic screen and it would be safe to say that my activity level has increased because of it.

I eat lots of vegetables saut?ed in butter and the other very flavorful oils I mentioned and I still eat red meat( mostly venison), pork, fish, and poultry. I find that now my body is not "fat starved", I have lost many of the cravings which plague many "dieters" and which leave them feeling deprived and miserable. I simply find myself satisfied with much smaller portions of protein and my intake of carbs from pasta and breads has dropped to a fraction of what it was.

Typical dinner for me has been lightly saut?ed veggies with a small amount of protein and usually some type of fruit for dessert. Last night was an eggplant and a zucchini cooked lightly in bacon grease with some curry seasoning, a whole red bell pepper and some sweet onion and Crimini mushrooms cooked in butter and seasoned with paprika. My protein was the bacon I cooked at the start of the process and which provided the grease for the first pan of veggies. This ends up being a lot of food and I am stuffed by the time I am through.

When I started this I was over 270 lbs and now I am into the 220's. Originally I had thought that my goal was to be around 200 lbs but now I have forgotten all about numbers and simply plan to continue eating all this delicious food. My body will stabilize at whatever weight it is supposed to with a healthy diet and that is good enough for me. I can't see going back to eating less healthily simply because some number popped up on a scale.

Another interesting side effect of eating "real food" again is that almost nothing I consume comes with packaging. I can go three weeks before it is worth it to carry the garbage can to the curb.

This is as much typing as I feel like right now. I hope this proves useful.

Comments

• retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some real good info there skicat...

I'm curious to know how your cholesterol numbers have been...
    And whether you check your blood glucose or not.

Regardless, the fact that you've lost weight and aren't starving yourself to do so is huge.

Good job and keep up the good work. [;)]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info[^]
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave up veg oil years back. Got a tub of lard from a Mexican market 'cos they're the only ones who carries it. I even started to collect bacon grease. I really should look for a small stainless can so I can pour it in without fearing of a plastic meltdown.

I did buy a smal thing of peanut oil a while back to do some eggplant other than that lard and butter. Actually I don't use that much butter. Does butter go bad? I got three and a half sticks being neglected in the fridge.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrads and keep up the good work and going Gluten free (Most of the time) helped me
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    I gave up veg oil years back. Got a tub of lard from a Mexican market 'cos they're the only ones who carries it. I even started to collect bacon grease. I really should look for a small stainless can so I can pour it in without fearing of a plastic meltdown.

I did buy a smal thing of peanut oil a while back to do some eggplant other than that lard and butter. Actually I don't use that much butter. Does butter go bad? I got three and a half sticks being neglected in the fridge.
    Our regular stores still carry LARD but can't bring myself to buy it. We buy ketchup on a regular basis in the large cans that are essentially 3 lb coffee cans and use those to drain grease in. Also we have a set of coated metal storage bowls with lids that work well also ours are KOBE but I seen the same thing in other brands.
  • DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Venison and butter soaked veggies? I'll be right over.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Good deal skicat. Care to share the vid link?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes these vegetable oils are bad news. Margarine = Poison

I am glad you are eating coconut oil that is some really good stuff.
    I eat a tablespoon of it straight from the jar every day I am home, which is 3 days out of 11.
    Tastes good too!
  • Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    Well, I don't know about the oils, and their link to obesity vs saturated fats.

Of course, when I read Dr. Atkin's book, The Diet Revolution, I think he mentioned that margarine was something to avoid, IIRC. I think he said something about the conversion to triglycerides, of margarine. But, AFAIK, all oils/lard/shortening are triglycerides, poly/mono/fully-saturated (would be more like a solid, at room temp). It just has to do with the saturation of hydrogen/are the fatty-acids holding the max-number of hydrogen atoms, across the bonds?

Anyway, regulation carbohydrates seems to be the best way to dump weight, IMO.

Essentially, none of us would be fat, if we consumed what our body burned. It's not complicated.

I went on the Atikin's diet, and lost about 45 pounds in six weeks. It works! But, I felt drawn-down, and constantly thirsty.

Oh well, what ever works, right?

**Edit: unless you're diabetic, then things get a bit more complicated.

shortening3.jpg
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKdYUCUca8

This is the link to "The Oiling of America". The woman speaking is only the presenter of the work done by her friend who is a PHD I believe. There is no violence,car chases,or love interest but I found it interesting.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it works for you, I'm glad.
    Personally I have never had a weight problem short of going up or down 10 pounds.

I'm not on a diet, but what I eat is basically in line with what they call the Paleo diet.

Hope it continues without horrible lipids.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you just might have got another member to join you!
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This does sound very interesting. Getting me away from the tv and computer would be VERY hard to do though.....that is one of my major problems.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    My diet consists of eating everything that is fat and greasy and tastes good. Also I eat as much of it that I want. High metabalism lucky.[:D]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I've lost 175 pounds this year.

I eat a bowl of pure lard every night and I am down from 575 to 400....
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since being diagnosed with diabetes almost a year ago to the day, I have gone from 203 to 160 lbs, and it took about 4 months to do that. All I had to do was count carbs, 60 per meal 3x a day, and 15 per snack 2x a day.

My A1C went from 13.5 to 5.7, my cholesterol went from 220 to 187, and my blood pressure went from 198/90 to 118/64. During that time I have eliminated one diabetic medicine, cut the other one in half, and also reduced my blood pressure medicine in half.

On top of that regimen I also walk 2.5 miles 3x a week, and work out on my Weider Pro weight machine 3x a week. I would be happier sitting on my tractor doing all the fun projects I can outside, but that doesn't always equate to actual exercise. It's been a big adjustment, but it's been one that I have done everyday for almost a year.

I figured if I can quit smoking cold turkey, I can adapt my lifestyle to a healthier regimen, and keep doing it. So far it's still working for me. I wouldn't recommend getting diabetes to try this method, but counting carbs plus exercise does work to lose weight.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    It's not much of a stretch from being hungry to being dam hungry.[8D]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't watch enough of the video to find out what she's selling, but her delivery is almost identical to the mattress magnet salesman or the Zud soap franchise salesman.

If you have something that works for you, you have a good thing.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's great news! [:D] I've never had a weight problem but I swear by eating real food. I try to stay away from all of the processed and prepackaged garbage.
    Maybe that's why I haven't had a weight issue..
  • FW357FW357 Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just did the Atkins diet without realizing it. He always said, protein, and no carbs, which means lots of vegetables, fruit and meat.

It will work for a while.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FW357
    You just did the Atkins diet without realizing it. He always said, protein, and no carbs, which means lots of vegetables, fruit and meat.

It will work for a while.

Actually it is different from the Atkins, which I tried some years back. I lost weight on the Atkins diet but it didn't stay off and I didn't feel healthy and full of energy like I do now.

The thing I notice now is that when my body isn't starved for animal fats I have lost the cravings for sugars and carbs. I just don't miss them so it is very easy to adjust to a more reasonable quantity in my diet.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I didn't watch enough of the video to find out what she's selling, but her delivery is almost identical to the mattress magnet salesman or the Zud soap franchise salesman.

If you have something that works for you, you have a good thing.

I believe the only product she is selling is the book with the information she is giving out for free in the video. Compared with the complete blitz of advertising on all the media outlets for processed oils, cholesterol drugs, and fad diet plans which have combined to keep the country obese, her attempt to pay for her efforts with a few book sales seem pretty innocuous by comparison.

You are right in that she is no polished presenter but I can't argue with the results I have experienced personally.