In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Software update question...Microsoft Office...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
When I reformatted my computer, I loaded Microsoft Office Small Business 2000. I also own Microsoft Office Student 2003. Will it hurt my computer to load the 2003 version too? The reason I'm asking is b/c I think it had updated versions of various programs from the 2000 version with a few more features.

I don't want to get rid of the Small Business 2000 b/c it offers a few features the Student Edition does not offer.

Will it mess up my computer to load both??? Thanks!

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dammit!!! Just dammit. Don
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    amazing. simply amazing. every time you post a computer thread i think to myself "theres no way i could possibly care less" and lo and behold you post another one and make me a liar to myself. bravo sir.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    amazing. simply amazing. every time you post a computer thread i think to myself "theres no way i could possibly care less" and lo and behold you post another one and make me a liar to myself. bravo sir.

You cared enough to respond to the thread.[:)][:X]

Eric, I don't think it would hurt your computer. Just install it in a separate, new folder. Should work just fine.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic

Eric, I don't think it would hurt your computer. Just install it in a separate, new folder. Should work just fine.

So, it won't merge the two...or update the older programs? It should remain separate?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

So, it won't merge the two...or update the older programs? It should remain separate?

It should stay separate. I'm not very familiar with either program, but they are different enough that they shouldn't interfere with one another.

At one time, I had both Microsoft Picture It! 2000 and '98 on my computer, and I could run each separate without the other interfering or trying to load as well. Completely different programs from what you are asking about, but yours should run likewise.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1

you misunderstood. i dont care in the least about his computer problems, nor his gross incompetence in dealing with them.

mocking him however provides me with entertainment and its been a slow day around my place.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and try it and if it doesn't go to suit you do a system restore or get Norton and do a Goback.
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it will be fine
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like another poster said,......install each version to a different folder of its own. Also you can't run both at the same time I believe.

I used to have two different versions of Microsoft Money installed on mine, and that was my experience with them.
    I ASSUME it should be the same with Office.[:p]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    Well....it installed itself, left the two components that the Student Edition didn't have, and replaced all the old versions with the new ones. It didn't even allow for separate folders.

Damn, I'm getting good at this computer stuff! (as I knock on wood)[;)][:D]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Well....it installed itself, left the two components that the Student Edition didn't have, and replaced all the old versions with the new ones. It didn't even allow for separate folders.

Damn, I'm getting good at this computer stuff! (as I knock on wood)[;)][:D]

Oh man,......you are so screwed now![:0][:D][8D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    I'm up to 12 days...only 49 more to go, 'till I prove you wrong![:D]
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've still yet to find the "any" key.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    Just do whatever feels right.

Use some common sense and you'll be fine. [}:)]

When in doubt, just start pressing buttons. [;)]

When in doubt, a few strategically-placed lines of profanity work wonders too.[:D][;)]

Glad to hear it worked, Eric.[:)]