In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Inactivate pop-up window panes

BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
How can I inactivate those blasted pop-up window panes on GunBroker. When I cruise on the auction pages these hateful window panes pop up advertising gun parts and even items of jewelry. I don't want to see that stuff. And when the pop-up window pane is loading it interfers with the main window that I am looking at. I consider these pop-up window panes to be junk mail, and I don't want, need, nor read junk mail. [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, the first thing you need to do is turn off your computer. Don
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arrrrggghhhh ! [:(!][:(!]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bergtreffer
    Arrrrggghhhh ! [:(!][:(!]

I sense some frustration on your side. Did I not make myself clear? Don
    edited November -1
    I'm feeling kind of postal about these pop-up windows. [:(!][:(!]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't get them, but my Google toolbar has a popup blocker.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firefox, and Ad Block.

Merc
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has nothing to do with GunBroker or Firefox. I use IE 8 and have never ever seen one. It has everything to do with being infected with a virus or malware. Get a good Antivirus program and by Good I mean NOT FREE and NOT NORTONS and NOT McFEE. Also get MalwareBytes to help you clean the mess up.
    edited November -1
    I have ESET NOD32 and it does a great job. Also I have Malware. I only get these pop-up windows when I am looking at GunBroker auction sites. The pop-ups advertise gun parts and gun related stuff, but tonight there was a woman's ring in one of the pop-ups. GunBroker auction side is the only time I get these pop-ups.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Show us a screenshot of the popups.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You call them window panes? that is too cute.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FireFox- Am a User, "Be aware of any" Shopper "add on's"
    They forgo the FireFox pop up blocker.

The fix- Identify the Firefox App/add on in "Tools" and remove it.

I just went this rout and it was a PINTB.[8D]
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I dont get them either with windows xp with the google pop up blocker
    edited November -1
    I have ESET NOD32 and it does a great job. Also I have Malware. I only get these pop-up windows when I am looking at GunBroker auction sites. The pop-ups advertise gun parts and gun related stuff, but tonight there was a woman's ring in one of the pop-ups. GunBroker auction side is the only time I get these pop-ups.

It is called malware and your browser is infected. It has nothing to do with GunBroker other than the ads that it is displaying are targeting our customer base. Please make a note of the ads that you do see and take a screen shot if you can (hit Alt and PrintScrn) then paste that into an email to security @ gunbroker.com
    edited November -1
    It is now Wed morning, 09:30 hours and I ran Malware and ESET NOD-32 scans. Neither one of the scans found anything wrong with my PC.

I went on the GB auction site and put in a search on item 203888344, which is a Marlin 1895 CB rifle. Immediately a pop-up pan came on advertising something from a camera shop that had "Marlin" in the item name. I could find no way to capture the little window pane to attach to this here email. From experience with these pop-up window panes on GunBroker, I click the "X" to get rid of the pane and all will be OK for several minutes. Then another pane will pop-up usually with some gun parts advertising. However, depending on what I am looking at on the screen, a pane may pop up advertising a book, item of jewelry, an item of clothing, and so on. In the case that I am talking about this morning, the word "Marlin" appears to be the key word, because it caused the pop-up pane with "Marlin" in the title associated with a camera. Often, in the past, if I am looking around at Winchester auctions I will get a pop-up pane advertising a Winchester lever action handle, like a large ring cowboy thing.

I don't know what it is, guys. Malware and ESET says my computer is not infected with anything. This only happens when I am on the GB auction side, not on the Forums side. There is a gremlin in here that I don't understand. [:(!]
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    How can I inactivate those blasted pop-up window panes on GunBroker. When I cruise on the auction pages these hateful window panes pop up advertising gun parts and even items of jewelry. I don't want to see that stuff. And when the pop-up window pane is loading it interfers with the main window that I am looking at. I consider these pop-up window panes to be junk mail, and I don't want, need, nor read junk mail. [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

R U surfing any particular catagory or is it happening in all cats?
    If in all cats then you need to check your system for pop-up status.

I'm not on auction side much and either signed in/out I'm not having your problems.
    edited November -1
    The pop-panes only happen on the GB auction side, and when I am searching a particular category. As I explained before, this morning I simply put in a search on GB item 203888344. I used no language in the search, only the item number. That search brought up the Marlin Cowboy M-1895 .45-70 rifle. Even though I only used the item number as the search term, this still resulted in a small pop-up window pane advertising something associated with a camera, and in the title of that camera shop's listing was the word "Marlin". There is definitely something here that I do not understand. The camera shop listing was not on GunBroker, it was on a site called "Price Gong". I have never, ever accessed the Price Gong web site. Even so, somehow unknown to me, just being on the GunBroker auction site, somehow it pulled in the term "Marlin" from a completely different web site. [?] How in the heck this happens is beyond me.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/PRIVACY, turn on pop-up blocker.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Neal, the pop-up blocker is turned on. I checked it. Lee
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're infected with something. You keep saying you ran "Malware"----do you mean Malwarebytes?

Download Microsoft Security Essentials (free), update it and run it. Delete what it finds. Good software.
    0M9InwN.gif[
    edited November -1
    I have seen malware that installs self as a "shopping assistant" and anything that you type into a search window will trigger it and feed your search words to its engine. If you are using Internet Exploder look under tools pick Manage Add Ons. Look for anything unusual. Also try CrapCleaner, it does a good job of getting rid of junk.
    edited November -1
    Yep, I have "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware".
    edited November -1
    As of 21:00 hours, 01 Dec 10, I have concluded scans performed by Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and ESET NOD-32. No computer infections were found by either one.
    edited November -1
    OK, it is now 21:03 hours, 01 Dec 10. After successfully performing Malware Anti-Malware and ESET NOD-32 computer scans, and found no infections on my computer, I went to Gun Broker auctions. At the auction search term box in only inputted auction number 203888344. Immediately Gun Broker came back with a display of the Marlin 1895 .45-70 rifle, and about two second later a pop-up window pane came on advertising "Marlin 1895 / 336 Lever ... Technical Data: Mount: Marlin Fits: 336, 1895 Actiions: Lever Action" --- and so on. The little window pane shows "Ebay" and a price of $29.99. And a banner at the bottom of the pane says "Powered By PriceGong".

I logged out, logged back in and tried this again. This time a different pop-up window pane appeared, again powered by PriceGong, and it was advertising a camera device.

Whatever is going on with this thing, is definitely happening. I am amazed that no one else has this problem, and that my anti-virus and malware programs are not catching any infection. [?]
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's time that you submit to it's demands before it gets mad and starts broadcasting it's thoughts through your television and conspiring with your neighbors evil canine henchmen.

It's green
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pricegong is an add on that is a shopping "helper"

Here is how to get rid of it:

http://www.pricegong.com/FAQs.aspx
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once again, Like myself. I use FireFox as a browser. There has been a flood of browser SHOPPING plug-ins like "Superfish.com" That are not recognized as spyware or maleware. POP UP BLOCKERS WILL NOT STOP THEM.

IDENTIFY THE ADD SITE< IT IS IN THE POP UP WINDOW, IE ABC.COM. It will show up some place on the screen.

Once you find it, Go to tools plug ins and delete it.