In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crazy Car!

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,671 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
I pulled up in the gas station on the way home last night and noticed this car at the next pump over. Cute little Asian gal filling it up. Looked like a new car, but as I'm standing there I see it's got duct tape covering the logo and model. I see it's got a computer mounted inside (like a laptop). The gal goes inside to grab something, and I'm standing there looking at this car. On the front left fender the letters "INSTRU" are stenciled in yellow paint. (looks like a Ford Escape kind of) So I go over for a closer look.

The first thing I notice is the inside of the car is completely trashed...dashboard missing pieces, duct tape everywhere, no passenger seat. Drivers seat doesn't even look like it's the right one. The windows are all tinted out, but the sun is shining so I can see inside. This thing must have 1,000 miles of wires run to all sorts of gadgets inside of it. There must have been 250 different guages and LED readouts in this thing. It's got antennas, it's got switches, it's got about (6) laptop computers all connected up to this spiderweb of cables. It looked like the Space Shuttle on steroids inside this thing. Where the normal instrument panel would be there was this panel which looked like something out of Star Wars. The entire dash looked like it was hacked out with a saber saw and then this crazy instrument panel was duct tapped in place.

The Asian gal driving it comes back and she's none too happy about me checking this car out. I ask her what it is, and she just gives me a crusty look and gets inside and shuts the door real fast. She's furiously throwing switches and pulling levers and turning knobs and the car finally starts and she drives off.

Now, I don't know what this car was, but I do know that both Ford and Chevy do a lot of secret high altitude testing on new models out by the airport. They actually fly them into Front Range and then run about a 100 mile circuit from there. I see them all the time (practically every day...always on back roads and way out of the way places...like where we live). These are the cars and trucks with the elaborate skirts and checkerboard covers on them so you can't tell what they look like. So I'm guessing this car I saw was some sort of an instrumentation vehicle which aggregates all the telemetry off of these test vehicles as they drive around. Like a chase plane in aviation. The car was just too hacked up to be a new model of anything, so it must have had some other purpose.

Anyway, it was pretty weird looking and obviously something they didn't want anyone getting too close of a look at.

Thought I'd share.

Comments

• Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, and it did have a "Manufacturer" plate on it.

Car was all black (well, mostly black) and looked to be about a 2018 Ford Escape (but not exactly).
  • SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They could probably put a new drivetrain into an older model for testing. It's the drivetrain that needs high altitude testing.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,652 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure would have been neat to see a couple of pics... [:p]
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=700367

Yeah, I saw that thread after I posted mine. Different car though. Different purpose anyway, IMO.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 53,649 ******
    edited November -1
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when I worked at a car company .
    new models depending on how far along they were had cardboard and tape and blanked out name plates and all inbetween, the closer to production the less hidden a lot of details and finished car would be allowed to be seen ,

as a side note when I was younger and help built the S-10 plant in Moraine Oh ( I was there from start to finish for the most part )
    they had a large room and would bring in competitors cars and trucks to inspect and go over with a fine tooth comb and tear apart
    years later the company I was with did similar I was in a building set away from the main factory they had a Buick of some type cutting it apart checking welds body fit , they all do it as sooon as a new one comes out the others get one for "testing " [:D]
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple of years ago I saw a car with a black and white checker board patter across the front clip and deck lid.I thought it was some high school kids Honda and that was a new fashion for young guys.The car was parked in a restaurant parking lot where I ate breakfast.When I was going back to my truck I noticed that the car was a Cadillac,a new Cadillac with computer screens inside.There are a few Michelin plants in the area and a BMW plant about 40 or 50 miles away so I assume it was some sort of test vehicle.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    A couple of years ago I saw a car with a black and white checker board patter across the front clip and deck lid.I thought it was some high school kids Honda and that was a new fashion for young guys.The car was parked in a restaurant parking lot where I ate breakfast.When I was going back to my truck I noticed that the car was a Cadillac,a new Cadillac with computer screens inside.There are a few Michelin plants in the area and a BMW plant about 40 or 50 miles away so I assume it was some sort of test vehicle.

That's what manufacturers do now to hide their new test/prototype cars from car "paparazzi" and magazines. Nowadays, they do a pretty decent job figuring out what it is.

Not sure what is going on with the car in the OP.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos of the Asian chick would help
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.